• We would love to hear your thoughts! Click here to take a short survey on your CardsChat experience: Rate Your CardsChat Experience

Forum members receive 10 VIP Chips for participating (follow instructions on form).

Correctly Cautious? or...

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Limit HE, I've had my pocket AA drawn out upon so many times that I tend to play them cautiously. In No-Limit, I know how to correctly raise or overbet my AA pre-flop, depending on the situation. But it is not possible in Limit.

"This Guy" has been raising into me pre-flop with hands like A8s & KJo, and limping many mediocre hands. His flop re-raise had me scared that he had 2 pair or better, so I just called down. He procedes to throw question marks at me ("? NH"). After I responded with "nice try", he starts saying I played it "weak" & "like a pu***". I didn't want to tell him his re-raise scared me, so I told him to "keep bluffing at overcards, I need the $$".

Should I have capped him on the flop or was I correctly cautious?

Full Tilt Poker Game #397257803: Table Serafina - $1/$2 - Limit Hold'em - 16:58:55 ET - 2006/01/22
Seat 1: Mtn4Mike ($26.75)
Seat 2: "This Guy" ($44)
Seat 3: MrSticker ($26.50)
Seat 4: Qwasz ($15.75)
Seat 5: Heaterly ($38.75)
Seat 6: glr33 ($39.25)
Seat 7: Ohjay94 ($98.50)
Seat 8: ARJIM ($18.50)
Seat 9: IH8CallStations ($18)

Ohjay94 posts the small blind of $0.50
ARJIM posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #6

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to MrSticker [As Ac]
IH8CallStations folds
Mtn4Mike calls $1
"This Guy" calls $1
MrSticker raises to $2
Qwasz folds
Heaterly folds
glr33 folds
Ohjay94 folds
ARJIM calls $1
Mtn4Mike calls $1
"This Guy" calls $1

*** FLOP *** [2d 6c Qh]
ARJIM checks
Mtn4Mike checks
"This Guy" bets $1
MrSticker raises to $2
ARJIM folds
Mtn4Mike folds
"This Guy" raises to $3
MrSticker calls $1

*** TURN *** [2d 6c Qh] [Jc]
"This Guy" bets $2
MrSticker calls $2

*** RIVER *** [2d 6c Qh Jc] [7h]
"This Guy" bets $2
MrSticker calls $2

*** SHOW DOWN ***
"This Guy" shows [9c 9h] (a pair of Nines)
MrSticker shows [As Ac] (a pair of Aces)
MrSticker wins the pot ($21.50) with a pair of Aces

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $22.50 | Rake $1
Board: [2d 6c Qh Jc 7h]
Seat 1: Mtn4Mike folded on the Flop
Seat 2: "This Guy" showed [9c 9h] and lost with a pair of Nines
Seat 3: MrSticker showed [As Ac] and won ($21.50) with a pair of Aces
Seat 4: Qwasz didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: Heaterly didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: glr33 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: Ohjay94 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 8: ARJIM (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 9: IH8CallStations didn't bet (folded)

SexyAceJoker

SexyAceJoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well consider how losse he was, i didnt worry about the flop, but the turn brought a J, and many people ( including me ) play QJ ( not raise it pre-flop though ) . So it was possible he made a 2 pair there. Other then that, i guess the move was fine

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm 4 to the flop really kills any domination that your AA held. FP is better at this but i rekon you going in at a 50.50

I like capping the flop with AA on rag flops like this to see where you stand, the hand that would scare me the most here is a set, but hands like KQ, AQ ect will pay you off nicely.

This is the main reson ive given up on limit especially the 1/2 limits, 2/4 is probably a better limit to be playing, at least your raise wont get 4 players to a flop.

I figure you played this as well as you could, capping the flop is a risky play, but in fairness i would have played it the exact same. I say well played.

BTW how are you getting on at 1/2 ?How do you find it, can your BR handle a larger limit........ect........ let us know its always good to hear some new opnions

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tenbob said:
BTW how are you getting on at 1/2 ?How do you find it, can your BR handle a larger limit........ect........ let us know its always good to hear some new opinions.

Thanks TB. I go between 1/2 & 2/4, depending on my bankroll on each site. My FTP BR is kinda low right now, so I will just start at a 1/2 table with $20 and build from there. At other sites where I have bigger BR's, I can sit at a 2/4 table with $60-$90 and feel good. The biggest difference is that 2/4 is usually a tighter game. Being loose can kill you. But at 1/2, looseness is usually the norm and I'm actually liking the practice on my looseness. The switch back & forth is something I'm trying to perfect.