Call down with overpairs in this spot?

C

ciriciric

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerrr2 app (basically runs as a live game)
0.25$/0.5$ (optional UTG straddle to 1$) 150$ CAP
7 handed
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Villain is a good agg reg
[/FONT]
preflop
straddled hand
folds to BTN who limps 1$
Villain in SB completes to 1$ (covers us)
Hero in BB with KhKs raises to 7.9$ (eff. 149$)
[/FONT]
Heads up to the flop
flop (17.80$)
9h Qc 7c
V checks, Hero bets 7.95$
V raises to 29.41$, Hero calls
[/FONT]
turn (76.62$)
9h Qc 7c Ts
V jams for 111.69 eff.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Obviously totally fine to raise it up against limpers with KK. Like the big sizing as well.

Flop
First of all what can a "good aggressive reg" even have, that he initially limped in with from out of position in a 3 blind structure and then called a massive raise out of position? A small pocket pair maybe? But what else would such a player take for this line? Its not like, he was getting a good price, and he is out of position. So I would assume, that if it was good enough to call your raise, then it was also good enough to put in the raise himself?

So right off the bat, when I am facing this check-raise, I am not loving it. I think, it smells like pretty much 77 exactly, since QQ and 99 would probably be raised preflop for value. Now obviously we cant fold putting our opponent on just one hand, but if the player type description is correct, I am really struggling to figure out, what else he can possibly have here either for value or as a bluff. So reluctantly calling.

Turn
The turn card did complete some hands like KJ, J8 and QT, although I am not sure, how relevant that actually is. The opponent now overbet jam, and we have to make a decision. If we want to defend "correctly", there are some arguments for calling with this hand. You block KJ, which is now the nuts, you dont block clubs, and if you are behind to a set, you picked up a gutshot, so at least you now have some equity with 6 outs. So I guess, this hand is better to call down with than for instance AcAs.

But I am just still really confused, why this kind of player would even get to the flop with any hand at all, that he might now be bluffing with? Like say T8 of clubs. Why call that massive raise out of position preflop, when he can just fold? So I kind of lean towards going with my initial read, that this smells so much like a reg setmining, hitting it on the flop and now fastplaying to protect against draws. So I probably fold, unless I have some kind of specific read on him.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If SB truly is a good aggressive reg my guess is that their range is polar with two-pair+ and balanced with OESDs and Axs. KK is maybe your best calling combos since you unblock all Axs and block KJ. If you start folding this you basically say you're never calling anything other than the nuts and that is super exploitable since you're folding way too much.

If SB is not really thinking about balance I think we can be fairly certain that he has two-pair or better and we're drawing dead or nearly dead. When a line doesn't really make any sense or is out of character for a particular player I'm more inclined to play conservatively so folding isn't out of the question.

EDIT: + If SB is a weak player we don't have to concern ourselves with balance because they'll likely not adjust anyway.

C

ciriciric

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Obviously totally fine to raise it up against limpers with KK. Like the big sizing as well.

Flop
First of all what can a "good aggressive reg" even have, that he initially limped in with from out of position in a 3 blind structure and then called a massive raise out of position? A small pocket pair maybe? But what else would such a player take for this line? Its not like, he was getting a good price, and he is out of position. So I would assume, that if it was good enough to call your raise, then it was also good enough to put in the raise himself?

So right off the bat, when I am facing this check-raise, I am not loving it. I think, it smells like pretty much 77 exactly, since QQ and 99 would probably be raised preflop for value. Now obviously we cant fold putting our opponent on just one hand, but if the player type description is correct, I am really struggling to figure out, what else he can possibly have here either for value or as a bluff. So reluctantly calling.

Turn
The turn card did complete some hands like KJ, J8 and QT, although I am not sure, how relevant that actually is. The opponent now overbet jam, and we have to make a decision. If we want to defend "correctly", there are some arguments for calling with this hand. You block KJ, which is now the nuts, you dont block clubs, and if you are behind to a set, you picked up a gutshot, so at least you now have some equity with 6 outs. So I guess, this hand is better to call down with than for instance AcAs.

But I am just still really confused, why this kind of player would even get to the flop with any hand at all, that he might now be bluffing with? Like say T8 of clubs. Why call that massive raise out of position preflop, when he can just fold? So I kind of lean towards going with my initial read, that this smells so much like a reg setmining, hitting it on the flop and now fastplaying to protect against draws. So I probably fold, unless I have some kind of specific read on him.

That was pretty much my thinking as well. I block the nut straight and even if he hits a straight on the turn, I don't think he is overbetting... So either it's a semi bluff or a set, maybe 2 pair from time to time...
I am playing with this villain a lot recently and both of us are squeezing a ton when there are limpers so my range is pretty wide in this spot and he knows that, so I guess he is defending with many suited connectors as well (45s+) and all pocket pairs and probably (T8s J9s+)
Also, I have seen him play his draws very aggressively

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am playing with this villain a lot recently and both of us are squeezing a ton when there are limpers so my range is pretty wide in this spot and he knows that, so I guess he is defending with many suited connectors as well (45s+) and all pocket pairs and probably (T8s J9s+)

Ok maybe but is that really a good play? Calling an 8BB raise OOP, when he only have 1BB invested? To me this sounds more like a fun / recreational player than someone, who is a solid regular.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think, villain is doing this with QJ, then calling with KK is good.

Also with KK, you are blocking KJ.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heroic fold. It's like playing a combo draw, because he has a lot of draws on the turn or playing a set, two pair.