Boat vs Quads, Bad Raise/call?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opponent had called my PFR and my C-bet on a dry board. I wasnt worried about the 3 on the turn, but I was worried my opponent having me beat at that point with a mid pair or even a duece. So, I checked the turn to see a free card. On the river, I hit my Ace, giving me a very strong hand and what I thought was the best hand at the moment.

My questions:
-Was my raise the river a good play? Im only getting called by smaller boats or being raised by a better hand.
-Was my call on the river good, even though there was a very good chance I was beat? His re-raise was so small that it seemed like it was just begging for a push from me, but at the same time it was small enough to entice a call.
-Is pushing on the river here even an option?

full tilt poker Game #3680642219: Table Stanley (6 max) - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:36:42 ET - 2007/09/26
Seat 1: Whitey76 ($3.50)
Seat 2: jeff3029 ($2.55)
Seat 4: majada ($3.50)
Seat 5: Tiger Aces ($8.40)
Seat 6: Philthy ($10.35)
majada posts the small blind of $0.05
Tiger Aces posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #2

Holecards:
Dealt to Philthy [ Ah Qd ]
Philthy raises to $0.30
Whitey76 folds
jeff3029 folds
majada folds
Tiger Aces calls $0.20

Flop:
[ 2c 3c 3h ]
Tiger Aces checks
Philthy bets $0.40
Tiger Aces calls $0.40

Turn:
[ 2c 3c 3h ] [ 3s ]
Tiger Aces checks
Philthy checks

River:
[ 2c 3c 3h ] [ 3s ] [ Ad]
Tiger Aces bets $0.60
Philthy has 15 seconds left to act
Philthy raises to $2.40
Tiger Aces raises to $4.20
ac_rsx sits down
ac_rsx adds $10
Philthy has 15 seconds left to act
Philthy calls $1.80

Showdown :
Tiger Aces shows [ 3d 6d ] four of a kind Threes
Philthy mucks
Tiger Aces wins the pot ($8 .90) with four of a kind Threes

SUMMARY:
Total pot $9 .85 | Rake $0.95

Board:
[ 2c 3c 3h 3s Ad ]

Seat 1: Whitey76 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: jeff3029 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: majada (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 5: Tiger Aces (big blind) showed [ 3d 6d ] and won ($8.90) with four of a kind Threes
Seat 6: Philthy mucked [ Ah Qd ] - a full house, Threes full of Aces

Last edited:
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ouch, crunch go the brain cells!

One normally can not expect any opponent to be playing the cards this opp did. But, give him credit, once the flop shows, your dead in this case.

When he refused to fold to your aggression, sanity suggests you calm down, but ego says 'No Way! This is gonna be my pot or else!'

I don't think you did anything wrong here. 99% of the time you win doing that exact thing against anything other than quads.

Serious cooler, so chill about it.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im cool as ice about it.

My main concern was the river call.

oluaris

oluaris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm...
let me take a shot at this...

his bet on the river, to me, meant that he either had an Ace, or he knows he can beat you even if you had an Ace... a split pot, at best...
i would probably have just called...

unless I felt he was bluffing (was that why you raised?) or I felt I can push him off the hand (by raising and representing the quads)...

his call on PF was probably what made you think he has a PP... a 4xBB PFR might have pushed him off the hand, "might"...

hindsight, it's seems easy to analyze such hands for the best play, but of course, it's different when you're in that situation...

villain played his hand well (after the flop), and you paid him off for it...
it happens...
who knows, you might get quads the next time you play 0.05/0.10 6max NLHE... and someone has pocket aces...

good luck!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hmm...
let me take a shot at this...

his bet on the river, to me, meant that he either had an Ace, or he knows he can beat you even if you had an Ace... a split pot, at best...
i would probably have just called...

His bet on the river could've meant a number of things.
-He hit the Ace on the river
-He has a boat, but a weaker one. Maybe 333/22 or 333/mid pair
-He has quads and wants to get paid off.

unless I felt he was bluffing (was that why you raised?) or I felt I can push him off the hand (by raising and representing the quads)...

-I raised because I had a strong hand. 1 of 4 things could happen:
-Opponent calls with weaker boat and I win
-Opponent calls with A and we split
-Opponent raises with a weaker boat
-opponent raises with quads

If they opponent had shoved with a weaker boat or quads, it wouldve been hard for me to call, but his re-reraise was so small that I think I had to make that call.

his call on PF was probably what made you think he has a PP... a 4xBB PFR might have pushed him off the hand, "might"...

I wasnt sure if he had a PP with his flop call, but it crossed my mind because he did call my PFR and C bet on that dry board. Flush/straight draws were also a possibility. The turn card was that scary but I decided to check and see a free river in case he did have a PP.

.....that.