Back in action and playing ugly

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright, so I'm back in action after having to withdraw everything on lifetilt. Bad news is I have to work my way back up through the micros. But this was no ordinary NL2 table, this was cardchat NL2 fun. We were all playing somewhat seriously at this point, outside of the occasional minraise war. I'm not entirely sure whether villain was a cardschatter or not, but I didn't have any read on him.

I'm pretty sure I played this hand ten kinds of wrong, but I just wasn't sure what to do.

Stacks:
* SB with $2.61
* BB with $8.57
* UTG with $4.73
* UTG+1 with $2.32
* MP1 with $16.80
* MP2 with $12.34
* MP3 with $1.99
* CO with $6.39
* BTN with $2.85

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: $0.00/$0.00
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to BTN:8♥ 8♠
* * Sklansky group 4
Preflop:
* * 5 players fold.
* * CO raises $0.12 to $0.14
* * Hero calls [$0.14]
* * 2 players folded.
* * Total folds this street: 7
* * Potsize: $0.31
Flop:
* * 6♦ 2♦ 5♥
* * CO bets [$0.20]
* * 2 players fold.
* * Hero raises $0.32 to $0.52
* * CO calls [$0.32]
* * Potsize: $1.35
Turn:
* * 2♥
* * CO bets [$0.80]
* * Hero calls [$0.80]
* * Potsize: $2.95
River:
* * 9♠
* * CO bets [$0.92]
* * Hero raises $0.47 to $1.39 [ all-in ]
* * CO calls [$0.47]
Results:

The results have been hidden.

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think about why you make certain plays. Think about what equity you have over certain hand types, and what the ideal play is against each of those types of hands, then make the play that best suits the overall range.

Like the flop - why do you want to raise?

You're basically against overpairs and overcards. Even if he has something unlikely like A6, it's going to be a small portion of his range - ie not good enough to try to raise and reraise against and get your whole stack in.

Raising into the overpairs is obviously a bad idea.

Raising into the overcards is bad too - do your really think AK/AQ is calling a flop raise and then betting the turn? Even if he's got something like AKd you actually don't want to raise. He'll be a slight favourite there and you obviously don't want to get your money in as a dog.

Anyways the point is that you're usually either a significant favourite vs overcards, or you're a HUGE dog against an overpair or a set. That's not a range you want to get all in with on the flop. Similar to the wa/wb scenario (search it on the forums) except we're not as far ahead, so we should be even less inclined to raise.

So the play is to call the flop and reevaluate the turn. Overcards won't usually double barrel - especially not at these limits - so if he checks to you on the turn you can either bet it or check it back with the intention of maybe value betting a brick river or just taking a showdown.

Try analyzing your own hand. Get pokerstove, punch in some hands that your opponent might have in his range, and see what your equity looks like against each type. Then figure out what the ideal action is against each of those hands, and figure out what the best overall action is.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, lemme talk my way through it.

Pre-flop:

The initial bet looks like a possible blind steal. I think maybe I should have reraised here. Opening the betting from late position, he could have almost anything (say, J10+ and 22+). Against that range, I'm a very slight favorite, but if he reraises or calls my reraise, then I have to adjust that range up quite a bit.

Flop:
Against my initial estimate of his range, I'm a 61% favorite. But once he bets, I should be ratcheting up his range. I'm going to add in A6s-Q6s, and A6o, take out JTo through ATo.

Against that range, I'm still a 60% favorite, things have barely changed at all. Should I be assuming a better range of hands for him?

After that, I think I was just spewing.