Aces Lose To 7 Nine Offsuit Ugh

S

stephan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. quick question. I played live poker today, NLH $1,2. There's a raise to $15, I re-raise to $50. He calls. Flop comes 3,4,5 two hearts. I have the ace of diamonds and ace of clubs so no help. I bet $30, he calls, the turn is a 6. I bet my remaining $25, he calls with 7, 9 offsuit for the straight. Did I play my hand bad or just a bad beat against a fish? :(

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
agree w/ what Tigroslav said, also
is it normal for the guy to bet almost 8bb? what kind of range he had when betting that big usually?
if hes tight those half stack 3bet is good i guess, but if hes loose i think a pre flop shove are better to put a bigger price on his mediocre opening range

E

Endwarfin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, other than shove on the flop, you could have shoved preflop with Aces. The first time you get Aces against a villain in this spot, I'd do it to see how wide they call.

What you have learned from this opponent in this spot, You can 3 bet your better hands for value.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got very unlucky against a terrible fish.

A side point...it looks like you were only sitting with $125 at a 1/2 game. Is there any reason for not buying in full?

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys. quick question. I played live poker today, NLH $1,2. There's a raise to $15, I re-raise to $50. He calls. Flop comes 3,4,5 two hearts. I have the ace of diamonds and ace of clubs so no help. I bet $30, he calls, the turn is a 6. I bet my remaining $25, he calls with 7, 9 offsuit for the straight. Did I play my hand bad or just a bad beat against a fish? :(

As for the bad beat, you obviously got excited. You just have a great preflop hand. A prelop re-raise of $50 is clearly not enough here. For having invested almost half of your stack in it and not displacing your opponent, you have, as it were, tied yourself to the bank. More precisely, it would be all-in. Raising post-flop and raising on the turn is very similar to drawing from hands like Ax or pocket pairs, which indicates that you do not know your opponent well and did not allow the possibility of building a straight at all. After the turn, your $25 looked like the icing on the cake.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yah its tough losing with AA's to a 7 9 off butt anyways AA's are cracked all the time and its not consider a bad beat