AA and a scary flop.

millarski

millarski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played this hand last night and I'm curious about what you guys think. I'll include all the action right up until my bet on the flop, I won't post the outcome of the hand till after you tell me what you think.

A bit of background. This is my 6th hand at this table, I had only seen 1 flop and that was in my 1st hand when I was the BB and no-one raised. When I sat down, bosnwhale & crmay were about level on chips with about $3.50. brother flea was up nearer $16. You can see from the totals below that bosnwhale had won a few pots and in that time not a single hand was shown. This meant I had no reads on any of the players. DoubleJJ770 sat at the table after me and bought in for the max, this hand is the 1st time he had put money in the pot(other than the blinds).

pokerstars Game #5509434580: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2006/07/09 - 22:50:02 (ET)
Table 'Panopaea III' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: DoubleJJ770 ($24.75 in chips)
Seat 2: 138Misfit ($14.65 in chips)
Seat 3: bosnwhale ($6.50 in chips)
Seat 4: brother flea ($14.30 in chips)
Seat 6: crmay ($2.95 in chips)
DoubleJJ770: posts small blind $0.10
138Misfit: posts big blind $0.25
beargood: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to 138Misfit [Ah Ad]

Even though I've lost more money than I've won with pocket Aces, I always get excited when I see them.

bosnwhale: folds
brother flea: calls $0.25

I'm not surprised by this guy limping in, he had dwindled away about $2 by doing the same thing.

crmay: folds
DoubleJJ770: raises $0.75 to $1

I was pleased when I saw this guy raise. He's the big stack and the fact there is only 1 limper and the BB suggests to me that he's trying to take control of the table. I haven't put him on any particular hand yet but it's still going to be a strong one.

138Misfit: raises $2 to $3

Raising here was going to do one of two things. One, win the pot right here or Two, force brother flea out of the pot and get my Aces heads up with DoubleJJ770, who I'd have position over.

brother flea: calls $2.75

I didn't expect this call. I instantly put him on either KK or QQ as I can't imagine him calling a raise then a re-raise with anything else.

DoubleJJ770: calls $2

I think this is a pretty standard call for him as he's getting 3.5 to 1 on his money. He could have also have a hand like KK or QQ but now I'm considering hands like AK and JJ, maybe even AQ and TT.

The plan was to get my Aces heads up against DoubleJJ770 but I got an unexpected caller in brother flea. I still feel pretty comfortable with my Aces as we wait to see a flop.

*** FLOP *** [Kc Kh 5s]

Not the kind of flop you want to see with pocket Aces and with 2 callers of a substantial pre-flop raise. My Aces suddenly look very ordinary.

DoubleJJ770: checks

I was a bit surprised by this check but very pleased as I was about 90% certain he'd missed the flop. There were two reasons that helped me arrive at that conclusion. Firstly, his preflop raise was re-raised and then called by another so unless he has a K he is going to get away from the hand. Secondly, the way he checked was a big clue. In the micro limits you can tell how strong someone's hand is by how they check on a flop like this when they're first to act. If they make their hand they're either really excited and because they've seen check raising all the time on tv they check very quickly. If they take a long time to check its because they're trying to work out how to get the most money from the situation*. This guys check was neither of those two, it wasn't really quick and there was no significant pause, it was just like he knew he was beat.

138Misfit: bets $5

I'm pretty sure DoubleJJ770 is done with the hand so this bet was to put brother flea to the test. Remember, I had put him on 1 of 2 hands, either KK or QQ.

This was a difficult situation because I'd only been at the table a short amount of time and had no reads on anybody. The only information I had to go on was the way my opponents were betting in this hand. It usually takes me quite a bit of time to be able to judge what my opponents bets mean.

I'd appreciate any comments on how I played the hand and how you feel I read the situation, I'll post the outcome later.

*This is just a general rule I use, I've been burned a few times but more often than not it works out for me. I tend to use it more when I don't have reads on my opponents, like in the situation above. If i've been at a table for a while with the same people I'm less likely to use it as i have more information on them.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played fine up until then, but with 2 others in the pot and 2 K on the board, I think it's a fold at that point. AK and KQ have suddenly become monsters.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the bet after the flop here. What your opponent does here will give you valuable information. Your opponent checking only tells you two things. He is either slowplaying trips or he has something weaker. If he calls your postflop bet, chances are he has a King. If he folds, he thinks you have the King and will fold.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine to me as played.

If I don't take the pot down there and then I'm probably done with the hand and am check/folding the turn if called though, unless an A (or maybe a K) hits.

I do however think considering you haven't been at the table for very long you're putting flea on far too narrow a range of hands. Seriously, many 25nl donks could have ATs, 66 or something here - don't give a player at these limits too much credit unless you know by his play that he deserves it.

Vintage82

Vintage82

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A general rule I read at another forum basically states that at these limits, if they have a hand they'll slowplay (check/raise, check/call) and if they have a half hand they'll usually bet it out.

The bet here says (to me) that you have some sort of hand, but not a K as if you had it, you may lead out with a smaller amount to get a call.

I wouldnt be entirely scared of a call (DoubleJJ770 I would expect to re-raise with KK or QQ) - as you say they maybe holding a lower pocket pair and may not put you on a K either. On the turn then the decisions on to push or fold.

millarski

millarski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for responding guys.

My bet on the flop was good enough to take the pot down. Brother flea and DoubleJJ770 folded pretty quickly. If I had to play this hand a month ago I probably would have checked on the flop. From what you guys have said I made the right move in betting.

*** FLOP *** [Kc Kh 5s]
DoubleJJ770: checks
138Misfit: bets $5
brother flea: folds
DoubleJJ770: folds
138Misfit collected $8.55 from pot
138Misfit: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $9 | Rake $0.45
Board [Kc Kh 5s]
Seat 1: DoubleJJ770 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: 138Misfit (big blind) collected ($8.55)
Seat 3: bosnwhale folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: brother flea folded on the Flop
Seat 6: crmay (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)