Stakes
$3/$6
Table Format
Full (8-10 seats)
Currency
$
Hero(LP), stack $2k
Villain(BB), stack over $4k

Table dynamics, Villain just lost a 2k pot 15 mins ago, bluffing another dude on a 8910J8 board, when the dude hero called with pocket Kings.

Hero opened with Kh7h to $18, button and Villian(BB) called.

Flop 4h 5h 6s, villain checked, hero bet $30, button folded and villain CR to $120. Hero flatted.

Turn 9d, so the board is 4h 5h 6s 9d, Villian bet $250. Given hero was in position, with plenty to play for, hero just flatted to see a river.

River off suit ace, villain shoved and hero obviously couldn't call with king high. Did ask the villain if he had it and he claimed he had missed heart draw.

The real question is, should hero havd considered maybe 3betting the villian on the flop or raise the turn? the flop was obviously heavily weighted towards the villain's range, not sure if 3betting the flop was a good idea. Being in position also made me more inclined to just call to see another card with my combo draw. However,by not raising on the flop and turn, it put us in a very passive position if we missed, which we did. Did we misplay the hand by not applying more pressure?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
3betting flip would be ok, but I wouldn't raise turn.

On the flop you have a huge combo draw with 2 cards to come and the equity to stack off. In practice I think calling is the better play on this board and against a likely tilted villain who might just 4bet shove 88, and of course he could just have 87 meaning you are relying on your flush outs only.

Raising turn would be bad, as if villain 3bet shoves you have to fold out your 25%-30% equity.

Overall I think you played this fine, and could have won a big pot had you hit whilst losing the minimum when beat. It's possible you got bluffed out by T8hh but that is a small part of his range and I wouldn't necessarily believe him anyway when he says he was one missed heart draw

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Not quite sure, what it means, you were in "LP"? If its means CO, then I think, its a fine open. Any seat earlier than that definitely on the loose side.

Flop
This could be a board, where solvers want you to check close to 100%. But it cant be that bad to bet a huge combodraw. I might go a bit bigger than half pot though, since you are not betting often at all, and you do want go get some folds, since you currently only have K high. Facing the check-raise I would also just call to keep his range wider. If you 3-bet and get jammed on, you are likely against a lot of made straights and sets, where your equity is not that great.

Turn
Seems like he bet almost full pot, but with a combodraw I think, you have to call again.

River
As you say an easy fold.

J

jfkingchan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3betting flip would be ok, but I wouldn't raise turn.

On the flop you have a huge combo draw with 2 cards to come and the equity to stack off. In practice I think calling is the better play on this board and against a likely tilted villain who might just 4bet shove 88, and of course he could just have 87 meaning you are relying on your flush outs only.

Raising turn would be bad, as if villain 3bet shoves you have to fold out your 25%-30% equity.

Overall I think you played this fine, and could have won a big pot had you hit whilst losing the minimum when beat. It's possible you got bluffed out by T8hh but that is a small part of his range and I wouldn't necessarily believe him anyway when he says he was one missed heart draw
Appreciate your kind insights. Not sure if I believe him 100%, but I do wonder if the river came a king should I be calling too

J

jfkingchan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Not quite sure, what it means, you were in "LP"? If its means CO, then I think, its a fine open. Any seat earlier than that definitely on the loose side.

Flop
This could be a board, where solvers want you to check close to 100%. But it cant be that bad to bet a huge combodraw. I might go a bit bigger than half pot though, since you are not betting often at all, and you do want go get some folds, since you currently only have K high. Facing the check-raise I would also just call to keep his range wider. If you 3-bet and get jammed on, you are likely against a lot of made straights and sets, where your equity is not that great.

Turn
Seems like he bet almost full pot, but with a combodraw I think, you have to call again.

River
As you say an easy fold.

Thanks for the kind analysis. I was opening from the HJ position, got confused with the acronyms.

Definitely checking back with some overpairs, but with a huge draw I felt like I could benefit from getting some folds. Curious would solver suggest differently if I just had a naked flush draw instead of a combo draw