6 Max; Two pair On River Vs Possible Float Play

C

ColdDeckCity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Hand: i am on the cut off with AT os, the BB seems LAG, this was my first session of short handed for a very long time

Stacks:
MP with $94.00
CO with $100.00
BTN with $201.29
SB with $79.69
BB with $142.58
UTG with $101.57

hand.pl

Site: Party Poker
Dealt to MP:A♣ T♦
Sklansky group 6
Preflop:
1 players fold.
Hero raises [$3 USD]
BTN calls [$3 USD]
2 players folded.
Total folds this street: 3
Potsize: $7.5
Flop:
3♥ J♠ 8♠
Hero bets [$5 USD]
2 players fold.
BTN calls [$5 USD]
Potsize: $17.5
Turn:
10♣
Hero checks.
BTN bets [$12 USD]
Hero calls [$12 USD]
Potsize: $41.5
River:
A♠
Hero checks.
BTN bets [$35.50 USD]
Hero calls [$35.50 USD]
BTN shows a flush, Ace high:
Q♠ K♠
Hero shows two pairs, Aces and Tens:
A♣ 10♦ BTN wins $110.50 USD from the main pot with a flush, Ace high.

1) I felt that he was going to float play me so should i have check raised him on the turn?

2) By the river, it is a big bet but also a big pot, was i just a calling station, or was it just a bit sick for me to catch the ace for two pair at the same time as him hitting his draw?

3) How else could i have pleased this and what other factors should i be thinking about during thus hand

Cheers

G

grift

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please don't post the results of the hand, as it detracts from the value of the analysis.

1.) No.

2.) Yes, bit of a station. Also tough luck that you hit two pair, but such is life.

3.) How else could you have played this?

So you raised preflop with a decent hand that didn't connect in any way shape or form. You're out of position with only one over that might not be clean and no other live draws against a loose aggressive opponent. I think check/folding here is perfectly plausible.

If you are going to play, I think another barrel is in order on the turn considering you picked up one of your "outs." If he flat calls, and the draw completes, I think you can easily fold to a river bet. If the draw doesn't complete, you can check call with more confidence. If he raises you on the turn, I think you can easily fold. I think the result is much more desirable than handing over control to your opponent on the turn.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like firing the second barrel on the turn against an aggressive opponent who is very likely to bluff us with worse. We can now beat all bluffs, and we're ahead of all draws. 9Q or 79 are the only draws that filled on the turn, so its a pretty safe card.

Check/call turn. Check/call river if the draws brick. Check/fold if the draws hit.

If our opponent is smart/passive, then I'd be more inclined to fire a second barrel. We can fold a weak jack, and passive opponents won't be semi-bluffing a flush draw against us.

River is a hell of a card. Pretty tough to get away from, but it does complete a lot of hands. It allows us to beat KJ, QJ, JT, ect. So idk, its a pretty tough spot. I just don't see KJ or QJ betting that river that large.