Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$2/$5
Table Format
Full (8-10 seats)
Currency
$
Another great hand analysis by Bart Hansson from Crushlive poker. The only thing, I want to add, is, that maybe Hero can just fold to that check-raise on the flop? If Villains range is skewed towards strong made hands, as Bart thinks, then hero will often be facing a large turn bet, which maybe he cant call. And then Hero is actually paying to see just one more card with only 3 really clean outs and 5, that are sort of dirty, because they also potentially bring in better draws. What do other forum members think? Would you toss Heros hand on the flop or maybe the river?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Against a loose passive player that plays this way on the flop, I would be okay with folding. As played, I will be checking back on the trap city river contrary to what they said.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against a loose passive player that plays this way on the flop, I would be okay with folding.
Yeah I think so as well. Its a pretty bad draw, that certainly dont have showdown value right now, and continuing will often lead to difficult and unprofitable situations on the turn and river. As actually happened in this hand.
As played, I will be checking back on the trap city river contrary to what they said.
Bart Hansson seem to assume, the Villain can have AX and play it like this. But apart from A8, which got counterfeited on the turn, maybe this analysis is a little bit conflicting? For hands like AK/AQ Villain would have to first play them very passively by not 3-betting pre, then very aggressively by check-raising with just top pair, and then very passively again by checking twice on turn and river.

Maybe the first 3 streets can be played like this, but I think, AK/AQ would then most likely bet the river for value, after Hero checked back turn. So maybe Villains range is more polarized to busted draws giving up and super slowplayed boats. And in that case Hero should either check back or make a small bet to get the busted draws to fold. And then of course fold to the check-raise.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So maybe Villains range is more polarized to busted draws giving up and super slowplayed boats. And in that case Hero should either check back or make a small bet to get the busted draws to fold. And then of course fold to the check-raise.
Total brain fart here. Hero made a straight in the end, so of course it makes no sense to bet to get busted draws to fold. Hero should, as you say, check back his straight smelling the trap, which had been set for him. And then just let the opponent show his boat, say "thats good" and muck.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Total brain fart here. Hero made a straight in the end, so of course it makes no sense to bet to get busted draws to fold. Hero should, as you say, check back his straight smelling the trap, which had been set for him. And then just let the opponent show his boat, say "thats good" and muck.

Yes, it feels very much like an unprofitable situation to suddenly try to bet out after a check on this river, when we are basically hoping for the villain to have hands that would never play this way from the flop.