$500 NL HE 6-max: Is that 10% bet normal on the river or dangerous? Would you call a shove afterwards, especially with that hand?

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$2/$5
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$

Usually this bet on the river is an inducing one when you have the nuts, or for thin value when you think your opponent will not raise you often enough, or if he does, he does not have much value in his range given how he played the hand, thus you can bluff-catch comfortably. But here, I believe it is a bit dangerous to do so on this runout.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Usually this bet on the river is an inducing one when you have the nuts, or for thin value when you think your opponent will not raise you often enough, or if he does, he does not have much value in his range given how he played the hand, thus you can bluff-catch comfortably. But here, I believe it is a bit dangerous to do so on this runout.
I think the hand was well played. I only would bet so small OTR if I had the nuts. Betting so small villain would think I’m doing a fish move and raise me with a bunch of dominated hands. As played I couldn’t really believe or understand the reason behind this move.

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the hand was well played. I only would bet so small OTR if I had the nuts. Betting so small villain would think I’m doing a fish move and raise me with a bunch of dominated hands. As played I couldn’t really believe or understand the reason behind this
Maybe he is trying to balance for the times he has the nut straight, given that his hand blocks it and can bluff-catch with it at some frequency? I don't know for sure. This small bet makes sense if you have the nuts and trying to induce, especially against a bluffy player, or if you are going for thin value when your opponent can't have that much given how he played his hand

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes the 10% pot bet on the river out of position is a thing (in GTO). It's basically a thin value bet that he would be making with a lot of marginal hands with a few nutted hands mixed in for protection plus some bluffs.

Qj seems awfully thin here but IP can have JT, KT, JJ, 99, 88 etc all of which would likely play this way to the river. Versus the 2x shove QJ is maybe an ok call in theory as it blocks KJ, though it also blocks logical bluffs, like JJ so maybe not.

Anyway IP is going to have alot of air here so OOP will need to bluff catch some of the time. Had he checked, IP might still have shipped it in anyway

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes the 10% pot bet on the river out of position is a thing (in GTO). It's basically a thin value bet that he would be making with a lot of marginal hands with a few nutted hands mixed in for protection plus some bluffs.

Qj seems awfully thin here but IP can have JT, KT, JJ, 99, 88 etc all of which would likely play this way to the river. Versus the 2x shove QJ is maybe an ok call in theory as it blocks KJ, though it also blocks logical bluffs, like JJ so maybe not.

Anyway IP is going to have alot of air here so OOP will need to bluff catch some of the time. Had he checked, IP might still have shipped it in anyway
Thanks for your answer mate!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands