$50 NLHE Heads-up: Turn Float/River bluff-raise vs. nit-fish

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$50 NL HE Heads-up: Turn Float/River bluff-raise vs. nit-fish

So yeah, I broke my oath to not play NLHE, because there was only one Stud 8 table running, and I'm sick of LO8 & Stud Hi. I added a HU cash table to the mix to keep the boredom off.

Anyways, villain has obviously read about how to play HU cash somewhere, but other than that, he's just a stupid nit. He never plays a pot OOP unless he 3-bets, and he probably raises like 40% of his buttons. I've been min-raising every hand on the button & 4-betting his 3-bets with a decent frequency. Villain will bluff postflop (he's raise/folded already in a 3-bet pot, and I caught him bluffing with air on the turn, but he rivered a pair).

I'm not sure why I check these flops, but I just think villain expects me to c-bet like everything here, so I put him in a spot he's not used to.

So yeah, I floated him on the turn, and the river seemed like a great card to bluff-raise, filling two straight draws (68, T8), J9/J7, and slowplayed 5's are still in my range. You nerds like?

Full Tilt, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 Players

BB: $50 (100 bb)
Hero (BTN): $109.60 (219.2 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BTN with 2K
Hero raises to $1, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($2) 5♠ 5 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($2) J (2 players)
BB bets $2, Hero calls $2

River: ($6) 7♠ (2 players)
BB bets $5, Hero raises to $15.25, BB is getting 2.5:1

Bluff Break even point: 58% folds

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I kinda hate that line you took. Not betting that flop is a pretty big mistake imo.

You said that w/ your raise on the river youre attempting to rep a straight, however, you rarely ever have those hands. Given the fact that you flatted on the turn and didn't raise you pretty much dont have J9. Also, slowplayed 5's are never ever ever in your hand given the way you played that hand.

If I'm villian and I have any dec. piece of that flop ie. 9, J, or 7 I snap here. Reason being is that youre not really credibly repping anything + your raise on the river is pretty smallish.
I'd def take a dif line here.

Also: you said "He never plays a pot OOP unless he 3-bets, and he probably raises like 40% of his buttons. I've been min-raising every hand on the button & 4-betting his 3-bets with a decent frequency. Villain will bluff postflop (he's raise/folded already in a 3-bet pot, and I caught him bluffing with air on the turn, but he rivered a pair)."

Villian seems like a pretty typical 50nl reg from that description. 4betting his 3bets pretty often is a kinda not very good imo, and if so your image is most likely extremely maniacal at this point. Taking into account image consideration this is most definitely a snap call on villains part.

Summary: Taking into account your perceived image as well as the line this was not a very credible river raise.

edit: one more thing, if youre raising river like that please raise more..

Last edited: