$50 NL HE Full Ring: Raising range v turn overbet?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.25/$.50
Table Format
Full (8-10 seats)
Currency
$
Hold'em No Limit - $0.25/$0.50 - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $50.75 (102 bb)
UTG+1: $63.84 (128 bb)
MP: $50.00 (100 bb)
MP+1: $54.94 (110 bb)
CO: $50.00 (100 bb)
BU: $80.84 (162 bb)
SB: $63.95 (128 bb)
BB (Hero): $81.39 (163 bb)

Pre-Flop:
($0.75) Hero is BB with 4 5
6 players fold, SB raises to $1.25, Hero calls $0.75

Would 3bet this sometimes, but generally calling

Flop: ($2.50) Q 3 A (2 players)
SB bets $0.82, Hero calls $0.82

Seems a standard call

Turn: ($4.14) 2 (2 players)
SB bets $5.18, Hero calls $5.18

This is the most interesting part of the hand. Facing an overbet, should we raise with the nuts? In theory villain is polarised and so we should rarely raise, but I wonder if that is the best play in practice or should I try to get value now (accepting that I will lose value from bluffs, e.g. JT, KJ and who knows what else BvB). My plan was to just call and then raise the (likely) river bet on a non-board pairing or flush completing card.

River: ($14.50) 6 (2 players)
SB bets $9.57, Hero calls $9.57

Pretty bad river, but seems like a standard call.

Very few hands on villain, probably a reg.

Last edited:
Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
who was winner? I did'n see villian's cards - maybe He got a Flush - three harts was at the table. I would fold that straight.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
who was winner? I did'n see villian's cards - maybe He got a Flush - three harts was at the table. I would fold that straight.
I will post the results in a few days time. I prefer not to say at this stage as it influences the analysis

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it's fine, on the turn an overbet can be called not only with the nuts, so OTR you have the ability to call with the top of your range at that bet size. If we raise on the turn some hands like KJ or QK can give up and you is losing value.
Raising on the turn makes sense to collect value from draws that have more equity against our range, although if that was the case and V leads or raises our bet OTR depending on the size, there I suppose we have some fold equity.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard call.

Flop
Seems like a fine spot to float with a gutshot and BDFD. Obviously the plan has to be to stab a lot of turns, if he check. We cant call with 5 high just trying to hit. I prefer floating over raising, since the board is very good for his range, and he also went pretty small.

Turn
Not sure what a solver would do, and for sure raising an overbet looks insanely strong. But there are a lot of river cards, that are bad for you, and raising turn is nessesary to set it up for a river jam. Alternatively you depend on him betting the river, and river raises also look insanely strong. So I do prefer to put in a raise here to maybe 15 or 20 with intention to jam any clean river. And sure its probably not balanced. But does it matter, when he only has a few hands on you?

River
At this point your hand is just a call. Folding is to tight, but a raise will mainly get called, when you are beat by a flush.

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I will post the results in a few days time. I prefer not to say at this stage as it influences the analysis
Hi
I am sorry. I didn't know - that it is something like a quiz, :):)
So my action - FOLD.
I would fold because, when I got straight and play against @AKiravio - then three diamonds was at the table. I lost straight vs Flush. So @AKiravio give me a lesson. (Salute my Friend @AKiravio). Also one polish pokerplayer win the turnamnent with flush, because he was called by his opponent having straight (it was 2 last players at the table). I if I dont't know the opponent - I would pass.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Preflop
Standard call.

Flop
Seems like a fine spot to float with a gutshot and BDFD. Obviously the plan has to be to stab a lot of turns, if he check. We cant call with 5 high just trying to hit. I prefer floating over raising, since the board is very good for his range, and he also went pretty small.

Turn
Not sure what a solver would do, and for sure raising an overbet looks insanely strong. But there are a lot of river cards, that are bad for you, and raising turn is nessesary to set it up for a river jam. Alternatively you depend on him betting the river, and river raises also look insanely strong. So I do prefer to put in a raise here to maybe 15 or 20 with intention to jam any clean river. And sure its probably not balanced. But does it matter, when he only has a few hands on you?

River
At this point your hand is just a call. Folding is to tight, but a raise will mainly get called, when you are beat by a flush.

I agree I should have raised the turn. The solver likes to raise here too, literally just 54s without the heart draw and a handful of bluffs. So it is fine to have a super thin value raising range even v overbet.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
He had A3o with the A of hearts, so I won. I dont think I can fold a straight when he could value bet worse.

As it happens I probably win the same if I raise turn as I would check back river , but it's best not to be too resultant orientated when reviewing a hand.

A

AdamasDate

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Preflop

You can do a few things here: you can standard call or you can add 54s to your raising range so it adds strength to your BB position raises. You don't just want to be raised with the top 20 percent of hands; you can also get some decent boards that you can fold on and print money on.

Flop

Just call; nothing more is to be seen here.

Turn

You hit the wheel, and at this point, you need all the money to get in the middle since there is so much behind. He overbet the turn, which makes it interesting. Because SB vs. BB, the ranges are the widest, and because your a bit deeper overbet has to be used to put more money in a single raised pot, my thoughts are

Call and see a river as played

Or click back and blast most rivers.

River

Is a 6H the back door flush complete? I wouldn't be too worried; I would be all in. At this point, you beat a ton of his value range. The fold is out of the question for that size

Good as played

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
All-In Preflop! Take it down! And in this hand, 'if' villain is crazy and decides to look you up, you were going to win anyways.
Game is so easy. Not sure why some players want to make it too complicated

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think call call call was a good line. I agree with you a re-raise on turn would have been possible, but also looks quite strong and maybe is killing value.

Well done and nice pot

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It's not an easy hand.

The flop is correct, I would have played the same as you.

The issue is the turn. By making an overbet I would have made a reraise, because I think, what range can he have??? If he has a supposed flush draw, I would never let him see the last card just by calling. I didn't see who won, but for me he had a strong hand like a set or a double pair, the overbet on the turn is a play that is used in cash.

Now, you only paid. And on the river after overbetting on the turn and coming up with a possible completed flush, I bet you 3/4 of the pot???? The something too strange.

Usually, if he completed something, he would either go there for value or bluff.

Think about it, if the guy on the turn overbets you and you call him, which hand would he want to get value from your hand??? If you are calling on that flop and a straight is coordinated on the turn, it is very likely that you have completed it. And then on the river he bets you 3/4 pot because he thinks you are going to fold, what are you going to fold after having paid overbet on the river???

Your range is very clear, or you have a set or you have the straight, or there is much more to analyze.

For me, on the flop he had, as I told you, either a set or a double pair, or AK that type of hands.

In truth, even if he completed the flush, possibly on the river he would have gone all in. Why there??? Because I wouldn't reraise him for him to go all in with his set or double pair with a possible flush on the board.

For me, your call on the river is not bad at all, but I sincerely believe that that hand had more value to take out.

Greetings good hand

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hold'em No Limit - $0.25/$0.50 - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $50.75 (102 bb)
UTG+1: $63.84 (128 bb)
MP: $50.00 (100 bb)
MP+1: $54.94 (110 bb)
CO: $50.00 (100 bb)
BU: $80.84 (162 bb)
SB: $63.95 (128 bb)
BB (Hero): $81.39 (163 bb)

Pre-Flop:
($0.75) Hero is BB with 4 5
6 players fold, SB raises to $1.25, Hero calls $0.75

Would 3bet this sometimes, but generally calling

Flop: ($2.50) Q 3 A (2 players)
SB bets $0.82, Hero calls $0.82

Seems a standard call

Turn: ($4.14) 2 (2 players)
SB bets $5.18, Hero calls $5.18

This is the most interesting part of the hand. Facing an overbet, should we raise with the nuts? In theory villain is polarised and so we should rarely raise, but I wonder if that is the best play in practice or should I try to get value now (accepting that I will lose value from bluffs, e.g. JT, KJ and who knows what else BvB). My plan was to just call and then raise the (likely) river bet on a non-board pairing or flush completing card.

River: ($14.50) 6 (2 players)
SB bets $9.57, Hero calls $9.57

Pretty bad river, but seems like a standard call.

Very few hands on villain, probably a reg.
We are not expecting many combos of back door flushes of hearts in this situation so I would lean towards calling on the turn to keep all of villain's range bluffing and also let it do it the work of making the pot bigger, turning a river shove smoother in spite of the outcome.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
He had A3o with the A of hearts, so I won. I dont think I can fold a straight when he could value bet worse.

As it happens I probably win the same if I raise turn as I would check back river , but it's best not to be too resultant orientated when reviewing a hand.
You played following your instincts and you was right: on this situation villain has much more losing hands and bluffs than values, so why would we brother raising?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm doing something I rarely do and min raising the turn simply because the overbet is someone either on a draw or w/ a big hand w/ most of their range, and they aren't folding any of those. If it's a bluff, it's unlikely they follow through on the river, so you want to get value there.

As played, river is a std call.