$50 NL HE Full Ring: Is this the correct spot to bluff?

BigKulpPoker

BigKulpPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.25/$.50
Table Format
Full (8-10 seats)
Currency
$
How would you handle this flop and turn? Bad bluff spot?

Hand Here

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nice hand. Q6 suited is too weak to open raise from HJ so I would normally just fold this pre.

Facing the donk from SB, you could raise or call. You havent added any player reads so its difficult to know which is the best play in this spot. It's tough to know what SB is donking with on this board, there are plenty of vulnerable sets available that could play this way and possibly T9, on the other hand a weaker player could easily be donking A8, A7 etc. I think I prefer call overall, as the problem with raise is you could get 3bet and get blown off your equity or roped into calling when behind. You could also just have the best hand if villain is on a draw. It's close though and I think raise is good too.

As played it's a clear barrel on the turn.

BigKulpPoker

BigKulpPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Q6 suited is too weak to open raise from HJ so I would normally just fold this pre.
I'm always told to be more aggressive and pick bluffs in positions, but every time I do, I'm told my hand is too weak for it. If my hand was any stronger, it would no longer be a bluff? ❓❓❓❓

BigKulpPoker

BigKulpPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
It's tough to know what SB is donking with on this board, there are plenty of vulnerable sets available that could play this way and possibly T9, on the other hand a weaker player could easily be donking A8, A7 etc.
My experience a lot of times donk bets are draws.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm always told to be more aggressive and pick bluffs in positions, but every time I do, I'm told my hand is too weak for it. If my hand was any stronger, it would no longer be a bluff? ❓❓❓❓

bluffing doesnt really apply to raising first in. You just raise the best x% of hands from each position. Q6s is fine from the button but too weak from HJ. The 'bluffs' are the bottom of your range which would be Q9s, ATo etc from HJ.

If this is the case, you would probably be ahead with bottom pair, so are you bluffing or value betting? Do you need to turn bottom pair into a bluff, when you have weaker hands you could bluff with?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Donk bet can be draws for sure. But “they are not draws”. That being said, donk bet doesn’t have this name on coincidence: usually weak players use this resource because they hit a strong hand or a strong draw. By doing it, they allow the aggressor of the hand in position to easily fold: this is why they call it “donkey”.
It’s much more wise to check to the aggressor and then check-call or check-raise (most of times).

Check this debate on donkey bet:

Best regards;

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
How would you handle this flop and turn? Bad bluff spot?
Nice play: I couldn't have done it better in this same spot.

I also like to experiment with any junks from any positions... :)

BigKulpPoker

BigKulpPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Donk bet can be draws for sure. But “they are not draws”. That being said, donk bet doesn’t have this name on coincidence: usually weak players use this resource because they hit a strong hand or a strong draw. By doing it, they allow the aggressor of the hand in position to easily fold: this is why they call it “donkey”.
It’s much more wise to check to the aggressor and then check-call or check-raise (most of times).

Check this debate on donkey bet:

Best regards;
I think its more the limits I am playing, donk bets almost always seem to be draws.