$50 NL HE 6-max: Open line from SB - With which hands would you call OTR if you were the villain?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.25/$.50
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
Currency
$
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.25/$0.50 - 5 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/325dl7cTr

BarnyStinsen (UTG): $95.62 (191 bb)
OldMillKid (CO): $61.33 (123 bb)
50´s Ghost (BU): $55.21 (110 bb)
gustav197poker (SB): $73.91 (148 bb)
cozul (BB): $60.67 (121 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.75) Hero (gustav197poker) is SB with A♣ 7♣
1 fold, OldMillKid (CO) raises to $1.25, 1 fold, gustav197poker (SB) 3-bets to $5.25, 1 fold, OldMillKid (CO) 4-bets to $11.50, gustav197poker (SB) calls $6.25

Flop: ($23.50) 7♦ 5♥ 7♠ (2 players)
gustav197poker (SB) checks, OldMillKid (CO) checks

Turn: ($23.50) Q♦ (2 players)

River: ($23.50) 2♥ (2 players)
gustav197poker (SB) bets $16.50, OldMillKid (CO) calls $16.50

Hero has been wide on this texture. But against an opponent who also tends to show a wider range from late position. Although this is a line that I rarely use since the SB, I admit that I was very lucky OTF.

How else would you play this hand postflop?
Is it always better to fold these speculative hands preflop VS wide opponent?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Preflop
I think this hand is too weak to call a 4bet. Surely it must be one of the weaker hands you are 3 betting so should be a clear fold to 4bet.

Flop
Standard range check by hero and odd that villain didnt cbet on what is a very good board for him. I think villain should range bet something like 25% pot or so. We probably then ought to check raise. I think villain will have alot of unpaired hands with line or could be trappy with AA.

Turn
Were you going for a check raise here? Personally I would just lead here as you want to build a pot, going small I probably best so AK comes along and AQ may raise. Oddly villain checks back again and his hand looks alot like AK or A5s.

River
Good size river bet here and I would expect villain to potentially call AK or A5s given you havent shown much aggression either. AK should probably fold though as it's so easy for you to have TT, JJ etc with your line.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet turn small. As played, I'd likely bet smaller on the river. You should have a low value bet sizing, and a bluff bet sizing. If he showed no interest on the turn to bet, then it's unlikely he has much, so you're looking for him to call w/ AK or an oddly played Qx.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.25/$0.50 - 5 players

1 fold, OldMillKid (CO) raises to $1.25, 1 fold, gustav197poker (SB) 3-bets to $5.25, 1 fold, OldMillKid (CO) 4-bets to $11.50, gustav197poker (SB) calls $6.25

Hero has been wide on this texture. But against an opponent who also tends to show a wider range from late position. Although this is a line that I rarely use since the SB, I admit that I was very lucky OTF.

How else would you play this hand postflop?
Is it always better to fold these speculative hands preflop VS wide opponent?

3-bet preflop is fine in spite of being a little polarized. Now when villain 4-bets we fold hands like A6s-A9s and lower suited broadways, unless we had played over a thousands hands versus this villain and it had shown a high range of 4-bet preflop.
If we look the contrary of this spot, I’m totally on board of 4-betting A6s-A9s 28% of times, and the reason I elect to widen my range is that villain 3-bets too much, so I 4-bet expecting villain to fold at least 72% of times, and when it calls, we still have some equity to play.
Cold calling and cold 4-betting A6s-A9s widens our 4-bet range for bluff too much: remember that we are 4-betting for value the respective combos of KK+ and AQs+, so we have the respective bluffs balanced with our values, using only A2s-A5s to put up a 4-bet.
In this particular scenario we are using all the suited aces for cold calling and cold 4-bet preflop, and this is unbalanced, from a rational GTO play that is wise to use at NLHE 50.
Villain has a wide range from late position, but it has a large range for open raising, 3-betting and 4-betting?
How we gonna play postflop when we call a 4-bet and it comes an ace OTF? We know that we are dominated, so we need to flop an ace and at least a back door flush, being certain that villain won’t fold a lot to bluffs and most likely, villain is going for full stacks until the river, for it will have QQ+ and AQs+.
But we have called so let’s try to play this hand postflop:
On the flop we are checking to the aggressor most of times, for it has range advantage upon us. Villain checks which means on a dry texture that it missed its AK and AQ and wants to control pot, or it has QQ, KK and AA and its intention is to make you bluff on the turn by leading/donking into the pot or check-raising. Villain also has less bluffs here. Anyway, we don’t know how does it look its 4-bet range, if the guy is a maniac/tilted it can display KQs, KJs, QJs, JTs, and some pocket pairs such as 88, 99, TT and JJ.
This queen isn’t good for our range for villain still has QQ, so we continue checking and waiting for action. But when villain checks back again it seems strange and a weak move: most of its hands would’ve bet this turn for protection against the flush draw or if villain has the draw of diamonds it would’ve bluffed by betting.
Most of QQ, KK, AA would’ve bet this turn, so we assume that by now villain completely missed and doesn’t hold any combos of diamonds.
On the river we must bet first and not wait for villain to try to check back again and realize its equity for free: we are betting to extract value of AQ, possible KQ, JJ, missed AK that could call for showdown value motives, etc.
The hand was played perfectly postflop, I would’ve been doing exactly the same you did.
I would like to know if villain had a wide open range or a wide 3-bet/4-bet range from late position (CO).
Thank you for submitting your hand to analysis and keep on grinding!

Best regards;

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-bet preflop is fine in spite of being a little polarized. Now when villain 4-bets we fold hands like A6s-A9s and lower suited broadways, unless we had played over a thousands hands versus this villain and it had shown a high range of 4-bet preflop.
If we look the contrary of this spot, I’m totally on board of 4-betting A6s-A9s 28% of times, and the reason I elect to widen my range is that villain 3-bets too much, so I 4-bet expecting villain to fold at least 72% of times, and when it calls, we still have some equity to play.
Cold calling and cold 4-betting A6s-A9s widens our 4-bet range for bluff too much: remember that we are 4-betting for value the respective combos of KK+ and AQs+, so we have the respective bluffs balanced with our values, using only A2s-A5s to put up a 4-bet.
In this particular scenario we are using all the suited aces for cold calling and cold 4-bet preflop, and this is unbalanced, from a rational GTO play that is wise to use at NLHE 50.
Villain has a wide range from late position, but it has a large range for open raising, 3-betting and 4-betting?
How we gonna play postflop when we call a 4-bet and it comes an ace OTF? We know that we are dominated, so we need to flop an ace and at least a back door flush, being certain that villain won’t fold a lot to bluffs and most likely, villain is going for full stacks until the river, for it will have QQ+ and AQs+.
But we have called so let’s try to play this hand postflop:
On the flop we are checking to the aggressor most of times, for it has range advantage upon us. Villain checks which means on a dry texture that it missed its AK and AQ and wants to control pot, or it has QQ, KK and AA and its intention is to make you bluff on the turn by leading/donking into the pot or check-raising. Villain also has less bluffs here. Anyway, we don’t know how does it look its 4-bet range, if the guy is a maniac/tilted it can display KQs, KJs, QJs, JTs, and some pocket pairs such as 88, 99, TT and JJ.
This queen isn’t good for our range for villain still has QQ, so we continue checking and waiting for action. But when villain checks back again it seems strange and a weak move: most of its hands would’ve bet this turn for protection against the flush draw or if villain has the draw of diamonds it would’ve bluffed by betting.
Most of QQ, KK, AA would’ve bet this turn, so we assume that by now villain completely missed and doesn’t hold any combos of diamonds.
On the river we must bet first and not wait for villain to try to check back again and realize its equity for free: we are betting to extract value of AQ, possible KQ, JJ, missed AK that could call for showdown value motives, etc.
The hand was played perfectly postflop, I would’ve been doing exactly the same you did.
I would like to know if villain had a wide open range or a wide 3-bet/4-bet range from late position (CO).
Thank you for submitting your hand to analysis and keep on grinding!

Best regards;
Hello dear friend, I hope you are well.
Be patient in a few days I'll send you the spoiler to try not to interfere with new opinions for the question I pose.
Thank you very much for your excellent analysis and for your impartiality. Hug!

Qniversity

Qniversity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Hello dear friend, I hope you are well.
Be patient in a few days I'll send you the spoiler to try not to interfere with new opinions for the question I pose.
Thank you very much for your excellent analysis and for your impartiality. Hug!
I think betting quarter to third pot ott and jamming river would be my play here. His calling range is basically Qx+ so it doesn't matter much about size. A smaller bet only targets TT/JJ. If he's bad enough to call s small bet with AK then I'm indifferent but defo prefer the overbet.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spoiler:

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.25/$0.50 - 5 players

Total pot: $56.50 (Rake: $2)

Showdown:
gustav197poker (SB) shows A♣ 7♣ (three of a kind, Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 33%, Flop: 90%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

OldMillKid (CO) mucks 9♠ 9♦ (two pair, Nines and Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 67%, Flop: 10%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

gustav197poker (SB) wins $54.50

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you all very much for your advices.
Another interesting fact is that V made an insta call, so it seems that hero looked a bit wide :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands