$5 NLHE Full Ring: 5NL pre-flop play: stupid or smart to shove pre-flop?

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5 NL HE Full Ring: 5NL pre-flop play: stupid or smart to shove pre-flop?

Last night has been a rough night. I've been playing rush Poker just to fulfill take 2. Last night, I lost nearly half of my profit that i worked hard for during past 8 days.......I lost over 2 buy-ins gambling pre-flop. I don't know if this is my leak or if I just got unlucky result. I know i got unlucky with the result but I'm wondering if the way i play as shoving pre-flop is considered a major leak. I asked my roommate about this and he tells me, "why do you have to necessarily gamble pre-flop without any information about your villains just because you got top 2 nuts? why don't you develop some post-flop strategies?"

My reason for moving in like an idiot(betting $5 and above into a 7-cent-pot) during pre-flop was

1. These guys at 5NL are so horrible who don't know how to fold hands. They don't know how to fold. I'm gonna get action anyways. People with low pocket pairs will think I have AK who's acting like a jackass bully with a huge chipstack or being a bingo donkey like the video I posted few days ago. People with suited connectors will think I have low pocket pair and call to gamble.

2. I just assumed that usually, people just raise instead of shoving like a jackass because they want action. But since i know i'm gonna get an action at these low microstakes, might as well all-in pre-flop. I'm sick and tired of my Aces and Kings cracked by sets/two pairs/draws.

Here's one of the hands that crippled me last night.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($2.87)
MP1 ($3.10)
MP2 ($5.37)
MP3 ($3.72)
CO ($1.57)
Button ($6.78)
SB ($1.82)
BB ($2.66)
Hero (UTG) ($5)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif

Hero bets $5 (All-In), 5 folds, Button calls $5, 2 folds

Flop: ($10.07) 6
heart.gif
, Q
heart.gif
, 2
spade.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: ($10.07) 2
heart.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($10.07) A
heart.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $10.07 | Rake: $0.67

Results:
Button had Q
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif
(two pair, Aces and Queens).
Hero had K
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif
(two pair, Kings and twos).
Outcome: Button won $9.40

I've hit 3 more of these bad beats last night KK<AQ, QQ<JJ, AA<KK playing like this pre-flop. Can anybody teach this cash game noobie for some advice on how to play cash games at these stakes? Could I have done something to avoid or reduce my losses, know how not to play horrible with those high pocket pairs? I asked CCers as they told me that I did play my hand horribly but I should feel lucky that I actually had players at my table who were more horrible than me to even respond to my horrible action. This may look like a whine about my bad beat but I'm trying to ask on how to fix my game and what's the definition of "not playing horribly".

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure why you would just shove with kings utg.

?????

Even more not sure why the guy would call...

?????

Wes747

Wes747

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is nothing horribly wrong with this as long as you are getting worse hands to call you. I would open-shove KK all day if I knew that i'd get called by AQ. In fact, I would shove as long as anything besides AA called me. It seems like you are getting people to call with worse hands, so keep doing what you're doing. Its definitely not a great strategy and I probably shouldn't be advocating it, but if you get people to call then theres really nothing that bad about it....especially if you have a bad post-flop game. Obviously this wouldn't work at anything higher than like...10NL rush, and would never work at "regular" tables.

You're just losing right now due to variance....don't fret. All the hands listed above you were the outright favorite preflop and just got beat by a worse hand. Nothing you can do except chalk it up to variance.