$5 NLHE 6-max: Folding QQ to aggression post

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 21/21/2.5

Villain was reasonably aggressive after 30 hands so figured they might be raising flop with a draw, hence the call. Really not much to go on stats wise though. The follow up large turn bet had me thinking perhaps he flopped a set or two pair, rather than double barrelling on a draw.

Jumping at shadows maybe? I'm way ahead of a BB pre flop calling range here, even a tight one, now that i look it up. That sort of aggression on flop and turn just makes me think a TAG villain has more than just an over pair to this board, and surely not just a flush or gut shot draw?

Too nitty? Or fine to avoid a fight with this player and just go looking for a fish and a better spot? Pretty much trained myself to back down from aggression and move on. Against a good, thinking player I think this is probably a terrible fold... but at 5NL when I am just looking to target the fish.....

I do think if I was planned to fold to a turn bet of any decent size I should just have folded to the flop reraise and saved myself 30 cents. The only turn card I'd have loved was another Q and that is a bad reason to call, as I should have expected the double barrel pretty often and known I'd be folding to it if my expectation was to back down to reasonable aggression.

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 97.4 BB
CO: 116.6 BB
BTN: 103.6 BB
Hero (SB): 100.4 BB

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) 7 2 5
Hero bets 3 BB, BB raises to 9 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) 3
Hero checks, BB bets 15.8 BB, fold

BB wins 22.8 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
Its a pretty wet board, so I would not mind a somewhat larger sizing like 4BB. You could also mix in a check, but the best overpairs to check are KK and AA, since they are less vulnerable to get outdrawn. When he raise this size, you have a very easy call.

Turn
Answering your question, yes I do think, this fold is to tight, at least against a player with stats like these. He seem to be a decent reg, so I expect him to be raising with a ton of draws on this board. I also think, he probably dont call preflop with 72 or 52, because these are some of the worst possible starting hands. So other than sets you only really lose to 75.

Going back to the theme of blockers, this is also an ideal overpair to continue with, because you dont block any of the draws, not even the backdoor flushdraw. So if you fold this combo, you are simply folding way to much, and a decent reg will run you over, especially when he is on your left.

You also have to call down on a decent amount of rivers. And I know, it sucks, but this is what, poker is like, when you move out of the absolute beginner level, which 2NL is. You are not especially looking to get involved with a reg like this, but you cant avoid it either, and massively overfolding, when he is on your left, is not going to be a solution in the long run.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Other than sets, you are way ahead on the flop. He can be raising you with all kinds of straight and flush draws.

I don't mind a 3 bet on the flop. And then continued aggression on a lot of turns that don't bring in the obvious draws.

Folding in Poker