$5 NLHE 6-max: Facing a 3 Bet OOP vs Possible Maniac with AQo!

Phoenix2223

Phoenix2223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 135 BB
Hero (SB): 100 BB
BB: 140.6 BB (VPIP: 94.12, PFR: 29.41, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 18)
UTG: 100 BB
CO: 105.8 BB

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q A

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BB raises to 9 BB, Hero ???

Only 18 hands, but in my opinion he probably is a Maniac (if you disagree let me know).
Given that assumptions, I think folding AQo against him is wrong.
OOP, if I 4beting and he calls me, I'm forcing to play fit or fold Post-Flop.
Q1: What is the best line here preflop??
Q2: How would you play postflop in general???

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah he’s at least a fish. Probably of the overly aggressive type.

I don’t actually know the answer pre. I don’t mind putting the assumption to the test, if he’s this bad AQ will be ahead of his stacking off range. You might find dominated hands like AJ/KQ even gii. But I don’t mind high variance.

Calling and seeing a flop is lower variance but we don’t realise our hands equity as much. However you certainly have over 33% equity vs his range and can expect to get a decent chunk from villain when you hit.

Folding would way way overfolding in a situation where we can likely defend more than mdf. So folding not an option.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same here undecided. I don't know what is more ev GII or calling. GII for sure is easier line except when he calls lol, and also it's theory standard line.

Q2: just standard style? Too hard question for me.

Last edited:
K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was in the pot every hand and raised every 3rd of his hands so it's pretty fair to say he's just spewing.

Would be happy to reraise and stack off.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I forgot to comment that villain stats imo are somewhat different than one would assume pure maniac has given pfr and 3 bet seems to be in balance so he might be just be in lucky streak. That said I would still classify him as a aggressive fish untill proven otherwise.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when looking at a small sample like that, its a lot better to get a read off specific actions and examples. like if he 3bet before and you saw he had Q7o, then thats a lot more telling than 30% PFR over 18 hands. 11% 3bet isnt really too out of line, so its entirely possible, hes just raising over limpers and punishing limpers weak ranges, which you should be doing anyway... the 95% vpip is something else though

but yeah, folding AQo vs anybody's 3bet is wrong. unless theyre a total nit who only 3bets QQ+ and AK (3%)

I definitely prefer to 4bet to 22 bbs and if he jams just fold. i wouldnt stack off against him unless you *know* (like youve seen him do it) that hes capable of stacking off with garbage. if he stacks off with any pocket pair, snap call his 5bet all in but otherwise fold. the reason I 4bet here is just because we are out of position. I'm fine with not realizing our equity postflop in a 4bet pot because we're going to need to hit an A or Q to win at showdown most of the time anyway. if he bluffs you post flop with KQo then good job to him