fold, SB raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero calls 3 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) A K T
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (6 BB, 2 players) K
SB checks, Hero bets 4.4 BB, SB calls 4.4 BB

River: (14.8 BB, 2 players) 4
SB checks, Hero bets 11 BB, SB calls
SB shows K8o

wasn't sure of this bluff. I do not have time to evaluate SB's range when I am playing. It seems when he calls turn I should give up. SB doesn't have top pair, so he is calling w/ a K or bottom pairs, not sure whether he will call w/ a T at the river.
Shall I bluff this turn? If so, shall I continue blasting the river?

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see no point in betting here on the river. Moreover, the board is high and suitable for an aggressor. After he called on the turn, I would give up.

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should be carefull when trying to bluff in this situation SB/BB, he wouldhave probably paid your bets with the Jack, it`s a very tight position to bluff cause you will always think that your opponent is just trying to steal the blind with a marginal hand.

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should be carefull when trying to bluff in this situation SB/BB, he wouldhave probably paid your bets with the Jack, it`s a very tight position to bluff cause you will always think that your opponent is just trying to steal the blind with a marginal hand.

Yeah this is a poor bluff by me. I guess I am on tilt.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What exactly happened preflop? Did you open limp?

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone are playing deep stack
Preflop:(pot: 1.5 BB)Hero has Q 8

Flop:(6 BB, 2 players) A K T
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn:(6 BB, 2 players) K

River:(14.8 BB, 2 players) 4
SB shows K8o

wasn't sure of this bluff. I do not have time to evaluate SB's range when I am playing. It seems when he calls turn I should give up. SB doesn't have top pair, so he is calling w/ a K or bottom pairs, not sure whether he will call w/ a T at the river.

Hello,

Well played. I would have bluffed the river as well because of villians failure to raise the turn bet. Strangely played by villian when he elects to just call the river as well. Weird line by opponent

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

SB checks, Hero checks

SB shows K8o

I think with your check on flop he got a read on you that you don’t have ace. After that he just went by check call standard action, I am guessing he is not short stack.

M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

SB checks, Hero checks

SB shows K8o

Some things to consider:
A King here is never folding - to a reasonable size bet

At NL5 I cant see many players checking an A on the flop (this may be a huge error on my part but indulge me for the rest of this)

Then we must consider all the other hands Villain could raise SB with, check flop (going to discount all A's) and call turn and check fold river
if he gets to the river with:
QQ,JJ, maybe 99 - (all other pocket pairs are folding to turn bet or raising flop - TT)
Kx suited
KQo-K7o (don't think much lower than K7o raises SB??
QJs, QTs, Qh9h (probably)
QJo, QTo
JTo
this gives him 109 combos of hands

11BB into 14 means his MDF is 14/(14+11) = 14/25 = 56%
So for this to be profitable you need to get 44% of his range to fold.

If he folds QQ, JJ, 99, QTs, Q9s, QTo and JTo

this still leaves him with at least 71 combos of Kx and QJ, not close to getting enough of his range to fold.

Now if you add in some Ax hands that could check the flop things change a bit but I still don't think this is going to be massively +EV

I would say once he check calls turn not much more to do than give up here.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Some things to consider:
A King here is never folding - to a reasonable size bet

At NL5 I cant see many players checking an A on the flop (this may be a huge error on my part but indulge me for the rest of this)

Then we must consider all the other hands Villain could raise SB with, check flop (going to discount all A's) and call turn and check fold river
if he gets to the river with:
QQ,JJ, maybe 99 - (all other pocket pairs are folding to turn bet or raising flop - TT)
Kx suited
KQo-K7o (don't think much lower than K7o raises SB??
QJs, QTs, Qh9h (probably)
QJo, QTo
JTo
this gives him 109 combos of hands

11BB into 14 means his MDF is 14/(14+11) = 14/25 = 56%
So for this to be profitable you need to get 44% of his range to fold.

If he folds QQ, JJ, 99, QTs, Q9s, QTo and JTo

this still leaves him with at least 71 combos of Kx and QJ, not close to getting enough of his range to fold.

Now if you add in some Ax hands that could check the flop things change a bit but I still don't think this is going to be massively +EV

I would say once he check calls turn not much more to do than give up here.

I like this analysis.

I would just reiterate a few things. First, Vs will check weak aces at 5nl (at least I did).

The bluff isn't too bad, but we want to find the best play. V has shown weakness on a flop that favors him by checking twice... In essence he's giving us a chance to bluff. We'd be hard pressed to get v off even a weak A here, so we are really only folding Tx and underpairs.

As others mentioned, Q high actually has some showdown value on this board... V is saying he doesn't have a good pair, and you should be fine with that bc you beat his non pair hands.

Just something to consider! Also, v is the tricky trappy type... I actually think the best strategy is to be more passive vs these Vs, as they will never get the true value of their hands from you that way.

Just some thoughts! Don't beat yourself up, sometimes you bluff into the nuts and that's ok! V just has to fold small pairs here:icon_rr:.

Something like jx or 9x or worse would be a better bluff since they win if they get Vs Q high to fold