$5 NLHE 6-max: $5 NLHE 6-max: How could I have better maximized EV here?

T

two_strike

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 26/21/1.6

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 26/21/1.6

Newbie! Looking to learn, first hand review posted - wondering how I could've maximized EV here? I didn't 3-bet because I wanted to stay stealth and had a feeling someone on my left would 3-bet anyway, keeping my hand strength hidden .. and then I called the flop vs raising to keep them in the hand, checked the turn to keep them in the hand (I probably should've bet here? small size to build the pot?) .. finally, should I have gone smaller on my river bet - maybe a quarter or third of pot instead of just under half-size? Thanks!

***** Hand History for Game 1111111111 ***** (ignition)
$5.00 USD NL Holdem - Wednesday, December 02, 03:54:26 ET 2020
Table 23108785 (real money)
Seat 1 is the button
Seat 1: Player1 ( $5.54 USD ) - (31.25 / 6.25 / - / 17)
Seat 2: Player2 ( $3.81 USD ) - (28.92 / 18.07 / 4.00 / 84)
Seat 3: Player3 ( $5.28 USD ) - (27.14 / 21.43 / 8.70 / 70)
Seat 4: Player4 ( $5.10 USD ) - (45.83 / 41.67 / - / 26)
Seat 5: Player5 ( $3.69 USD ) - (31.25 / 9.38 / - / 33)
Seat 6: Hero ( $7.19 USD ) - (26.36 / 10.85 / 1.72 / 132)
Player2 posts small blind [$0.02 USD].
Player3 posts big blind [$0.05 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Player2 [ Ks As ]
Player4 raises [$0.15 USD]
Player5 folds
Hero calls [$0.15 USD]
Player1 folds
Player2 folds
Player3 raises [$0.75 USD]
Player4 folds
Hero calls [$0.60 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8s, 7c, 9s ]
Player3 bets [$0.65 USD]
Hero calls [$0.65 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 3s ]
Player3 checks
Hero checks
** Dealing River ** [ Jc ]
Player3 checks
Hero bets [$1.27 USD]
Player3 folds
Hero returned $1.27 USD
Hero wins $2.83 USD

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order to maximise EV, you just have to get the most out of an opponent, given his hand.

If he has nothing, then maximising EV might just mean getting 1, maybe 2, streets of value by allowing him to bluff.

If he has a strong, but 2nd best hand, then maximising EV could mean getting his entire stack.

Given villain's check/fold on the river, it looks like he had nothing and that you did end up getting the most out of him.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you represent an unlimited range (meaning you call with all hands Axs, Kxs and connectors), the BTN must 3-bet with the strongest part of its range, since the opening comes from a very strong position that is UTG And your limp line of preflop, also contains very strong hands that are inducing IP and OOP raises for the blinds, so if you call from CO, you greatly reduce the BTN range and the blinds.
From another perspective and if you achieve isolation with the UTG hand opener, you need to have a 3-bet range in a high frequency against this player, since your blockers will lose a lot of value against the closed range, which has this position default.
The 6-max dynamics make a hand like AKs/o be almost always a 3-bet IP, when the opening comes from a more strong position. The only reason to call from CO is if we have a very solid reading that the BTN is a true maniac. But even in this scenario, I would consider 3-betting as well, as we want to remove the blinds and apply maximum pressure to UTG, so we can isolate ourselves with the maniac. Since we know that their 3-bet / 4-bet range is quite wide, in a significant sample of hands.
Well played the postflop. Sometimes we can also raise on this flop texture, since as we said at the beginning, a small percentage of the time, we want to induce raises with super strong hands, and now we have AA / KK played slow with a spade, and seek the fold of minor hands. This makes sense when our range of preflop calls is quite wide and if we have a more narrow range image when we are aggressive.
Greetings.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the best street you had to strat value from him was the flop,is a very wet flop full off draws and sets(that line you are representing to have a lot off PP like 55 to 99 and some suited conectors like 56s to 89s) so in that board you are ahead. You should have raise him on flop so he could put u on a draw or a very strong hand like TJs, 89s,78s,99,88,77,56s so you are polarized but he can still beat some bluffes with his overpair, but when complited the flush draw and the 1card strait draw u arent going to get any value from him eve iff he has AA.
When there are a lot off cards that cut the action off u have to raise or overbet for value, in there any spade any 6 or T or J makes all overpair complite garbage.

D

DevaCat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I concur with Freddy here. Two overcards and the nut flush draw is an absolute monster. You're facing a villain with a 3-bet range of 8.7%, which looks something like 88+, ATs+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo (assuming that the 8.7% is reliable- that will depend upon sample size; I'm very dubious that villain is 3-betting 88, 99 rather than setmining them). Against that range you have 69% equity, and there's very little of the range that crushes you (even against a continuation range of 88, 99, QQ+, you have 41% equity). I'd be looking to get the money in the middle as quickly as possible on the flop; after the cbet, effective stacks are only 1.5x the pot size. As occurred in practice, the third suited card hitting can often kill the action.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he bet that flop, then he should be calling the turn. You need to bet the turn.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I concur with Freddy here. Two overcards and the nut flush draw is an absolute monster. You're facing a villain with a 3-bet range of 8.7%, which looks something like 88+, ATs+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo (assuming that the 8.7% is reliable- that will depend upon sample size; I'm very dubious that villain is 3-betting 88, 99 rather than setmining them). Against that range you have 69% equity, and there's very little of the range that crushes you (even against a continuation range of 88, 99, QQ+, you have 41% equity). I'd be looking to get the money in the middle as quickly as possible on the flop; after the cbet, effective stacks are only 1.5x the pot size. As occurred in practice, the third suited card hitting can often kill the action.

Just want to point out that this isn't how you should be looking at the situation in general. You need to look at what Hero's equity would be versus opponents calling range to a raise.

Additionally, you want to be thinking in terms of how am I playing my entire range on this board? What's my raising range here?

D

DevaCat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just want to point out that this isn't how you should be looking at the situation in general. You need to look at what Hero's equity would be versus opponents calling range to a raise.

Additionally, you want to be thinking in terms of how am I playing my entire range on this board? What's my raising range here?

Thanks for the comment, John, that's very helpful. I'll have a think about where I might be going wrong in my analytical processes.