$5 NLHE 6-max: 2nd set vs turn shove

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not good enough to fold this :rolleyes: This deep I probably should have at least thought about it. Expect my answer would be the same... crazy shoves happen at 5NL and folding a set is hard.

Was only 10 hands on villain, nothing to go on.

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 41.4 BB
SB: 143.8 BB
BB: 115.8 BB
Hero (UTG): 149 BB
MP: 215.6 BB
CO: 134.6 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T T

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 10 BB, fold, Hero calls 7 BB

Flop: (21 BB, 2 players) T K 3
SB bets 8 BB, Hero calls 8 BB

Turn: (37 BB, 2 players) 8
SB checks, Hero bets 24.6 BB, SB raises to 125.8 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 101.2 BB

River: (288.6 BB, 2 players) T

SB shows K K (Full House, Kings full of Tens)
(Pre 82%, Flop 96%, Turn 98%)
Hero shows T T (Four of a Kind, Tens)
(Pre 18%, Flop 4%, Turn 2%)
Hero wins 271.8 BB

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You could bet for value on that flop. The V has a lot of dominated hands that will want to defend against that texture. While the V might understand that you represent a closed range, the SB also has hands like AA or KQ that will occasionally seek to catch your bluffs.
As played there is no better combo to catch bluff than yours. Because you don't block any flush draw. While the V could have all the pockets of kings, its range from SB could also have all the AK combos. And if we are demanding and we pose the worst case scenario, we are perfectly balanced since the 3c: AKs compensate for the times that V has a top set.
If you use a tracker you need a very large hand sample to fold and in this case, the villain is obviously not betting enough with his valuable hands. He was just lucky but in the end it was a very hard blow for V.
Greetings.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think calling his turn shove is mandatory.

He could easily be overplaying AK there, or maybe turned a combo draw with a hand like AQhh

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played the hand fine. I would have done the same pre flop and usually on the flop. I will mix there between just calling or raising there depending on how aggressive villain is. I would definitely bet if it was checked to me on the turn and with two hearts and two diamonds on the board we can bet large trying to extract from flush draw. I would discount villain has any Kx including KK because checking that turn there and giving a potential free card is not a good move imo. As soon as they jam it would have me wondering of course but second set there is too good to fold. I wouldnt think villain has air here but there are combo draws out there and also top pair nut flush draw that might do this. This would be a hand where I would make villain have it and would have wound up in the same grave you did.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a standard cooler. You only loose to top set (3 combos), and nobody in the world are so tight, that they only stack off top set.