Stakes
$.02/$.05
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
Currency
$

Hey guys,

What do you think about the check on the flop? Villain is quite aggressive and I wanted to play check call line in order to max. Value.

On the turn I put him on top pair or 2 pair and was happy to get my money in.

What do you think? Against this kind of players should I have put a x3 preflop?

Looking forward to your advise. It was my first shot at 5NL on GG .

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you are going to 3bet from SB it should be 4x at least. You gave him too good a price to call with everything in position.

Flop check is fine as it's a bad board for range and you can check-raise if he bets.
Once he raises you on the turn I think a bit more caution is needed , especially once your 3bet also gets raised. He wont be stacking off with AT if he is decent

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I get your point about the too small 3bet preflop, but a question back. Do you 3bet all pocket pairs in this situation or only some of them. I mean if we 3 bet them against a loose player and do not hit the flop we are behind in many cases and then quite commited already. Curious about your 3 bet range for x4 in this case.

I always try to have similar bet sizings pre flop in order to make it more difficult to spot which part of my range I actually hold. Maybe I bet to small in general?!

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No the lower ones you just fold. Against a button open maybe 3bet 77+ as well as any other hands you will play AQo+, suited Broadway's and some Axs (from SB). I.e. top 11% of hands or so with no flatting range

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Hey guys,

What do you think about the check on the flop? Villain is quite aggressive and I wanted to play check call line in order to max. Value.

Make your preflop 3-bet larger, as station master said.

silentshowdown

silentshowdown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe you handled the situation quite well. Observing his consistently high VPIP of around 43%, it seemed apparent that he falls into the category of a "whale." And he didn't bet when you checked the flop.

The fact that he called a 3bet with J9o further confirmed his suboptimal playing style, marking him as a less skilled player. Fortunately, luck was on his side this time. Nevertheless, your strategic decisions were sound, and I agree with your choice of a 3bet size preflop. Even if you had opted for a larger pre-flop raise, it's likely he would have called regardless.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips

Hey guys,

That guy has 45% vpip. Go bet, bet, bet.
He can still raise if he is aggressive.
45% vpip (how much pfr%?) Min 3bet and check on flop. You didn't narrow his range at all. How can you put him on anything here?
4.5x or call. In the SB you usually just call medium pairs up to 9 or T. If he steals a lot you can resteal more, but is 88 really a value 3bet?
Do you 3bet all pocket pairs in this situation or only some of them.
No. We 3bet 99+ or TT+ for value. We usually call with smaller.
I mean if we 3 bet them against a loose player and do not hit the flop we are behind in many cases
? What exacly do you mean with that. With a non pocket pair hand you hit a pair on the flop 30% of the time.
and then quite commited already.
No we are not.
Curious about your 3 bet range for x4 in this case.
Better 4.5x with 99+ JQo, KJo+, ATs+, A3s-A6s, ATo+
Good suited broadways are good to call with. Same as the rest of the suited aces.
I always try to have similar bet sizings pre flop in order to make it more difficult to spot which part of my range I actually hold. Maybe I bet to small in general?!
3bet:
3x-3.5x in position
4x-5x out of position

Greetings

M

Mac557

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Pocket 8s are fine as a 3Bet here, but your sizing should go up. 3x at least and normally more when OOP, but if he is loose/aggressive/fishy then sizing 3x is fine as you will have more difficult spots postflop.

Unless the guy is betting massively almost all the time, I am cbetting the flop and for reasonably large sizing (60%+), there are plenty of good turn cards for you to X/J if you think he will spew off and be priced in to call.

The turn is unlucky but he wasn't as aggro as you assumed because he should definitely be betting OTF when checked to with J9. Definitely just play your strong hands face up at these stakes and you won't go wrong most of the time.