$5 NL HE 6-max: Am I just punting off stacks in gambles?

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.02/$.05
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
PFR
AF
Currency
$
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 20/19/2
Interested in thoughts on maximising winnings in 5NL cash - should I be looking to avoid the big pots given it's rare to get called all-in with garbage?

I think I'm playing at a decent enough level that i tend to be at least flipping (or better) against their range with my all-ins, so think my play is broadly sounds, but I find the variance hard to take when I'm trying to build up confidence in my ability and ultimately build bankroll.

In the hand below I was pretty confident putting him on a draw, there are some sets (most likely QQ) and the combos of KQ in his range, but otherwise I'm ahead comfortably on the flop. When the big check raise comes back I immediately went into shove/fold thinking - can I consider calling here to see if the turn bricks before I shove?

In this player pool do you have to assume that the large re-raise is heavily value weighted and therefore given i'm probably 60-70% equity against villains draws and in very bad shape against the value hands - meaning that the re-raise really should have told me to fold and find a better spot?

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $5.07 (101 bb)
MP: $6.19 (124 bb)
CO: $5.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): $8.54 (171 bb)
SB: $5.00 (100 bb)
BB: $22.55 (451 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BTN with A K
1 fold, MP raises to $0.15, CO calls $0.15, Hero 3-bets to $0.62, 2 players fold, MP calls $0.47, CO calls $0.47

Flop: ($1.93) K Q 6 (3 players)
MP checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.43, MP raises to $1.60, CO folds, Hero raises to $7.91, MP calls $3.97 (all-in)

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The play seems ok, but I think I prefer call to keep any bluffs in and get the money in on safe turns. With the :kh4: it becomes less likely he has a flush draw and :ad4: also removes backdoor bluffs such as ATs AJs. Your flop sizing is very small so it is possible you have induced a raise, but this being 5NL I would expect to see a set or two pair alot.

3betting flop is fine though as you are fairly committed at that point having put 44bb in the pot

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks - I think the play is conceptually ok as you said, but the problem is the player pool not having enough bluffs here.

I caught him with the bluff here but unfortunately it was the low probability holding of AhTh which then drew out on me anyway! It does feel in 5NL you just have to play more cautiously but that does make running up a bankroll very slow and tedious - perhaps I'm being impatient and hurting my win rate as a result.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks - I think the play is conceptually ok as you said, but the problem is the player pool not having enough bluffs here.

I caught him with the bluff here but unfortunately it was the low probability holding of AhTh which then drew out on me anyway! It does feel in 5NL you just have to play more cautiously but that does make running up a bankroll very slow and tedious - perhaps I'm being impatient and hurting my win rate as a result.
It worked fine then as you got the 3bet in on the flop ahead. Though probably only 60% equity versus the combo draw, so not printing money, and obviously you got unlucky.
Calling the x-raise and shoving turn might have got the fold (if turn was brick and river completed the draw). If turn was flush completing and villain shoves then it becomes an easy fold.

Variance sucks but you have to accept it, a bit more luck and you are 250bb up. Always best to track you ev bb/100 to at least make you feel better!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Overall it seems like a pretty standard play. One point to note is the small continuation bet. At that point, I think a bigger size is better, since the board has a pretty wet texture and you're at a 3MWB, which means you should get more value out of all available draws from your opponent's ranges.
However, this doesn't change the final outcome much, since you would still be committed to the pot anyway.
Your thinking about folding the hand is best applied to regular tables (not Zoom mode) when you assume your opponent's range is too narrow. That is when you think that the villain can only have 66 and QQ in his range.
Greetings.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
It's standard play from your side, but also somewhat standard from villain's perspective too, because pot is so big that he needs to play his straight draws aggressively.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling