5/10 limit - I wuss out on the river.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Total posts
Villain is a lagtard.

pokerstars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Bet The Pot)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J♥, A♦.
UTG calls, MP raises, 2 folds, Hero 3-bets, 1 fold, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q♣, A♥, 4♣ (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) [10s] (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG folds, MP calls.

River: (8.50 BB) [10c] (2 players)
Hero checks, planning on calling a bet.

Last edited:
joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Total posts
even the lagtard wouldnt overcall without at least a strong pair, possibly 2p+, right? i like the check call here.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Total posts
Well a lagtard probably caps w/AQ+ PF so I think you're fine with your kicker unless of course he's hit his.

How is this wussying out on the river? I think a check-call is the best play here...I think your hand is pretty marginal on this board, and a check-call will minimize your losses and also give him a chance to bluff with hands you have beat.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Total posts
Do I suck at limit because I think this is standard?

Unless villain is the same guy from your last blog post FP, in which case we obviously value bet river. ^^

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Total posts
This is standard to me, but I felt funny about the hand when I checked the river.

Here's the thing:

• My kicker just got counterfeited. So if he has any ace, I'm at best splitting this pot with him. Betting won't do me a lick of good.
  • He does not have a flush. A lagtard raises the flop (or the turn) with a flush draw since "I SEMIBLUFF AND LOL FOR EQUITY" or something similarly ridiculous. I have an article coming up about that. Anyway.
  • He does not have a big pocket pair like KK or JJ. I would have heard from him preflop, at least.
So if I bet, I'm hoping for him to call with K-high (in which case he'd need to put me on 99 or whatever) or him calling me with a pair of queens.

Meh, I'm probably being results oriented. I wanted to bet the river, decided not to and was pissed off when he showed Q9.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Total posts
but doesnt his range here include hands that have you beaten? like K10/J10

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Total posts
Yeah, Joose, that's the big reason to check the river. Very few hands will call that I can beat. What I was listing in the post above are reasons to bet. I don't think there are more hands that he will call a bet with that I can beat than has me beat.

Of course, if I check, he may also bluff, which is another great reason for it.

I'm just being results oriented in the sense that after the fact I realized that I could have won another BB but missed out on it. Looking at it today, a check looks best.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Total posts
LAG = Loose and aggressive. Being a lagtard means being stupidly loose and aggressive, basically.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Total posts
I can't see you being behind on this river. Anything that beats you here would have folded already (a ten) or raised on the flop or turn. I bet bet bet.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Total posts
What hands would he call me with though, barring specifically a queen? KT, JT, sometimes a flush draw (although unlikely since I really, really, really think he would raise this on the flop), can all make sense. And most other hands, like K-8 or J9 aren't going to call when I bet anyway. So does he have specifically a queen more often than he has any of the hands that beat me?

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Total posts
Well yes, a Queen basically... which is what I'd put him on given the flop and turn calls. Although if you think he'll bluff a river a check might be better. I don't think a bluff is likely here though. Either he's calling with the flush draw and has made it, or has a marginal hand including a Queen which he'll want to show down.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Total posts
Oh and some Confucian wisdom that I just made up: "If it is not a clear decision, it probably doesn't matter much either way."