$300 NLHE Full Ring: Pocket Aces turned trips, would you play this way?

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the flop should play aggressively continue the same

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I decided not to make a new thread for this. Is this better?

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 100 BB (No stats on villain)
Hero (BTN): 147.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB, MP+2 posts penalty blind 0.5 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2 BB) Hero has A A

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, MP raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 4 BB, Hero raises to 16 BB, fold, fold, fold, MP calls 12 BB, fold

Flop: (39 BB, 2 players) 9 A 3
MP bets 12.5 BB, Hero raises to 131.5 BB and is all-in, MP calls 71.5 BB and is all-in

Turn: (207 BB, 2 players) J

River: (207 BB, 2 players) 4

MP shows 9 9 (Three of a Kind, Nines)
(Pre 19%, Flop 7%, Turn 2%)
Hero shows A A (Three of a Kind, Aces)
(Pre 81%, Flop 93%, Turn 98%)
Hero wins 197 BB

3 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

Last edited:
Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I decided not to make a new thread for this. Is this better?

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 100 BB (No stats on villain)
Hero (BTN): 147.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB, MP+2 posts penalty blind 0.5 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2 BB) Hero has A A

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, MP raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 4 BB, Hero raises to 16 BB, fold, fold, fold, MP calls 12 BB, fold

Flop: (39 BB, 2 players) 9 A 3
MP bets 12.5 BB, Hero raises to 131.5 BB and is all-in, MP calls 71.5 BB and is all-in

Turn: (207 BB, 2 players) J

River: (207 BB, 2 players) 4

MP shows 9 9 (Three of a Kind, Nines)
(Pre 19%, Flop 7%, Turn 2%)
Hero shows A A (Three of a Kind, Aces)
(Pre 81%, Flop 93%, Turn 98%)
Hero wins 197 BB

3 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

This is much better.

However, if you want un-biased analysis of your hands, please do not reveal results.

This spot is a bit different. Here we 3b with position, pick up the opener, and we see the flop.

When your opponent donks (leads into you, even though you are the aggressor) into you here, he is most times trying to set his own price to continue. Donks are rarely huge hands, and quite often in this spot would be something like Kd-X hand, 2p, sets, or just plain air. The point being donk bets are either vulnerable hands, semi-bluffs, air, etc. This time your opponent was pretty close to the top of his range I would say. If he flops a flush, we wouldn't expect him to take this line. He would be much more likely to C/R or C/C, than donk, because he won't want to scare you away by betting his flush.

I like the raise OTF. I would have probably done the same thing, given your cards. There are too many dirty turn cards that can kill the action here. However, I wish you hadn't posted the results.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's how you play aces. Nh!

Especially since that donk indicates he doesn't have a flush, and possibly not even a low flush card. Expect him to fold to the shove often, though. We're lucky he held something from the top of his range.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is much better.

However, if you want un-biased analysis of your hands, please do not reveal results.

This spot is a bit different. Here we 3b with position, pick up the opener, and we see the flop.

When your opponent donks (leads into you, even though you are the aggressor) into you here, he is most times trying to set his own price to continue. Donks are rarely huge hands, and quite often in this spot would be something like Kd-X hand, 2p, sets, or just plain air. The point being donk bets are either vulnerable hands, semi-bluffs, air, etc. This time your opponent was pretty close to the top of his range I would say. If he flops a flush, we wouldn't expect him to take this line. He would be much more likely to C/R or C/C, than donk, because he won't want to scare you away by betting his flush.

I like the raise OTF. I would have probably done the same thing, given your cards. There are too many dirty turn cards that can kill the action here. However, I wish you hadn't posted the results.

sorry about posting the results. next time i wont.

i like your review of his bet, interesting information. very useful.

Thank you guys :] cant begin to express just how much im learning from this forum

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sorry about posting the results. next time i wont.

i like your review of his bet, interesting information. very useful.

Thank you guys :] cant begin to express just how much im learning from this forum

I'm glad we are able to help you. Not that long ago, I learned a bunch here also.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I apologise in advance if I come across as a dick, but I'm going to be brutally honest with you: everything about the way you played this hand makes you look like a passive fish. I'll list all the reasons why:

1) Your stack size is too short. You could've won far more value with AA if you'd topped up to $300. Instead, you're playing with a $130 stack, which hugely limits your potential to win big. You should top up to 100bb. Also, when I see someone with less than 50bb on the table, I generally assume that they're a fish (and the majority of the time, I'm right).

2) You limped in preflop in a multiway pot. Honestly, this is awful play. Imagine if someone has 22 and the flop comes K62. They paid $3 to see a flop and now they're going to win $130 because you won't be able to fold your overpair against their set. Imagine if someone has 75hh and the flop comes Jh 6h 4c. They paid $3 to see a flop and now they have a combo draw which could very easily beat you by the river. When you have a hand like AA which has good showdown value, you do not want to be playing a multiway pot and you do not want to let people with speculative hands (low pocket pairs, suited connectors) see a cheap flop and potentially hit a strong hand like a set, straight or flush. You want to make them pay to see a flop. Honestly, with 3 limpers, I'd be raising to about $24 preflop. And after you limped in and you were lucky enough to get raised, this is the perfect opportunity for you to re-raise to something like $45, which will leave you with less than a pot-sized bet left on the flop and make it very easy for you to get your stack in. You messed up both times by being passive, rather than aggressive.

3) On the flop, as played, you should just be shoving here. You have slightly more than a pot-sized bet left and trust me, at this level, hands like KT, KQ and AK will never fold, so you want to maximise value off those hands before an Ace comes that slows them down. If someone happens to have flopped 2 pairs, a set or a straight, then that's just bad luck (also your own fault for allowing this to happen by your preflop action). Min-raising the flop is literally the worst thing you could do (aside from folding), because it gives away the strength of your hand whilst also extracting very little value from hands that you beat and also giving draws a great price to call and suck out on you. Only passive fish min-raise. You'll never see a good poker player make a min-raise from $15 to $30. They'll either make a normal sized raise (to anything between $45 and shoving), or they won't raise at all.

On a more positive note, it's great that you've posted this hand here on this forum. A lot of players don't seek help and thus they never improve their game. You've come to the right place for help. Don't be discouraged by any of the advice I give you. I only want you to be the best poker player that you can be. I used to play like you before I learnt how to play standard Tight-Aggressive poker and before I learnt that fast-playing strong hands and value betting fish as hard as possible is generally the way to make money. Don't slow play at this level. It doesn't work. The main mistakes that players at this level make are: not value betting enough, betting too small and raising too small. If you can improve those aspects of your game, then you'll be crushing 1/3 in no time!

Ths post is pure gold. Very well written man. Much respect to you for helping people out this way. very nice breakdown of the thought process and i basically agree with everything your saying here.