25nl in 3-bet pot

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
25nl AQs in 3-bet pot

Villain is pretty tag at ~20/18/2 and has played very straight forward. I was thinking this is pretty much a textbook wa/wb spot on the flop except for the fact that it's changed a little with my nut FD.

Also, I'm my usual ~15/10/5 self.

Thoughts?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed)

SB ($24.75)
BB ($31.45)
UTG ($14.80)
UTG+1 ($27.25)
MP1 ($18.45)
Hero ($63.50)
CO ($6.30)
Button ($26.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A
diamond.gif
, Q
diamond.gif
1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1, 3 folds, BB raises to $1.75, UTG+1 calls $1.50, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($5.35) A
club.gif
, 4
diamond.gif
, 7
diamond.gif
(3 players)
BB bets $2.25, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $2.25.

Turn: ($9.85) 3
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB calls $5.

River: ($19.85) J
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $12, Hero calls $12.

Final Pot: $43.85

Last edited:
blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nh, well played. no sense raising flop really, cause we get rid of the big pairs we're crushing and only get action when we're behind, even though the FD gives us added equity. on the turn, the smallish bet is good to hopefully get value from JJ-KK. on the river he has a set a fair amount of the time but i'm probably not folding unless i know the player really well and have a good feel for his bet sizing (blocking vs value)

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well what does a tag at 20 re min raise with? AK? AJ? Can't see KK/QQ going this far honestly. I guess you could be lucky to catch a terrible AT KdJd here, but I doubt it :(

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, the fact that a player limped before chuck's raise make the range of his minreraise slightly more uncertain, because he could mostly be trying to cheaply isolate to get it HU instead of having it go 3way (even though it didn't work, and UTG+1 still called)

also we have to be good here only about 28% of the time for a river call to be +EV, and there's a wealth of information to be gained from knowing what he had in this hand

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Argument could be made for checking behind on turn because we cannot call a turn c/r most of the time (we know we'll be drawing to flush outs and maybe facing a set) and WA/WB we try to keep the pot small and manageable to SD cheap. HU, without the flush outs, I bet most of the time, with the flush outs, I check this some of the time.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YOU ONLY SED TAHT CAUSE I SHOWED YOU THE RESULTS

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think u played it soft
you could have raised on the flop to see where u were at instead of calling all the way, just a feeller bet

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he could have, but doesn't mean he should have. raising for information is a bad idea in general. you fold out and get no value from the hands you beat and build a pot against the hands that beat you. he played it well and got 2 outered (or 1 outered if the guy didnt have the Jd)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he could have, but doesn't mean he should have. raising for information is a bad idea in general. you fold out and get no value from the hands you beat and build a pot against the hands that beat you. he played it well and got 2 outered (or 1 outered if the guy didnt have the Jd)

combu sees the light

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
semms like well played although you lost, you lost minimum. Based on his beting patterns, you can't make out what he is trying to tell you he has on river. What hand re min raises pre flop, make a c bet on flop, check turn clearly not liking call, but is willing to call turn probably with some outs, then seems to really like the jack.

Just to Hard to read so check calling is perfectly fine, since pock jacks are only hand that must have liked jack, but you have to think at the time why would the jacks call turn vs obvious strength. Just make sure you get to play this guy again, he clearly doesnt like his chips

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thinking a big bet on the flop but and then 5xs bet on the turn but seen players with pp stay too the river too hit