[25NL FR] Flop raise gets cold 3-bet

GunslingerZ

GunslingerZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop, I'm trying to see a cheap flop in position with a speculative hand. On the flop, I raise to try to drive everyone else out and maybe get a free river card if I want one. Then, the button re-raises me. He hadn't been at the table long, but seemed to be playing a loose-passive style. He only started the hand with 50BBs so he's probably committed.

Thoughts on all streets welcome.

Stacks:

* MP3 with $11.80
* CO with $23.10
* BTN with $13.10
* SB with $23.65
* BB with $41.30
* UTG with $32.80
* UTG+1 with $4.65
* MP1 with $12.50
* MP2 with $37.05

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
Site: full tilt poker
* * Dealt to CO:5♠ 6♠
* * Sklansky group 5
Preflop:
* * 2 players fold.
* * MP1 calls [$0.25]
* * 2 players fold.
* * Hero calls [$0.25]
* * BTN calls [$0.25]
* * BB checks
* * 1 players folded.
* * Total folds this street: 5
* * Potsize: $1.1
Flop:
* * 4♥ 3♦ 5♥
* * BB checks
* * MP1 bets [$0.25]
* * Hero raises to $1
* * BTN raises to $4.35
* * BB folds.
* * MP1 folds.
* * Hero ???

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like your flop raise. Your goal on a multiway flop with a strong combodraw is to get as many opponents with you as possible, while making the pot as big as possible. Ideally, you'd like to get all-in with 2+ players.

Also not crazy about the preflop call. Be loose on the button. But not in the cut-off.

Once the Worst Possible Thing (tm) happens on the flop and you get raised and end up out of position and without initiative, I think jamming is a very viable alternative. You have a large chunk of equity, but you want to see a showdown and you want to negate his positional advantage.

You're mostly a coinflip vs. an overpair. You're in trouble vs. a set (30% chance to win, give or take). But you don't want to have to make decisions on the turn OOP, if you can avoid it. And remember, there's a decent chance you have the best hand (and be up against a flushdraw or a naked straight draw without the pair), and being bluffed off your hand on the turn or the river in that case would be a very expensive mistake to make.

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have preferred a call on the flop as I would want to drag other players into the pot. You don't have a great hand and are still better off in a multiway pot at that point. Would have been a reasonable call on a raise from button then if you can get another caller. I really do not like the shove at that point as there are too many hands where I am drawing and the BTN has already pot committed so there isn't much fold equity available.