$25 NLHE 6-max: $25 NLHE 6-max: Villain´s play is good or bad?

J

johnlocke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - €0.25 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 100 BB
SB: 102.68 BB
Hero (BB): 262.36 BB
UTG: 103.44 BB
MP: 45.32 BB
CO: 126.88 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K A

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 12 BB, CO calls 9 BB

Flop: (24.4 BB, 2 players) K 5 8
Hero bets 8 BB, CO calls 8 BB

Turn: (40.4 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero bets 25.72 BB, CO raises to 106.88 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 81.16 BB

River: (254.16 BB, 2 players) Q

Hero shows K A (One Pair, Kings)
(Pre 74%, Flop 94%, Turn 100%)
CO shows Q A (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 26%, Flop 6%, Turn 0%)
Hero wins 242.76 BB

What do you think of villain´s play? Is it sound? I was a bit amazed at it, seemed a bit off, even though he blocks my AK, AA and KQ, he also blocks my FD´s that wont have the right price to call.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From the perspective of how the villain sees it: The villain might think that it blocks nut flush draw of spades and TPTK . But this hand should not be played passively preflop and either on the flop, unless he thinks he has a major blocker. He indeed has it, the Qd. Which also allows he to unlock 3 combos: QKs (possibly the range that V aims to knock down on the turn).
Basically the villain expects you to give up with top par. Because he might think that his range seems capped and therefore it is impossible to put you in a weak king here.
But actually that should be the range that V should block on the flop (representing 2 pairs), something we haven't seen in this sequence.
Therefore the range of V that is representative of value is really poor. Maybe 3 combos 67s, being generous. Or that he was lucky to hit bottom set on the turn, a bit optimistic from the perspective of how V might reason it.
Another reasoning could be that the V perceives that your defensive frequency could decrease on the turn, since a larger size of your bet could balance out his fold equity, because it seems that you are not absolutely committed to your stack pot ratio. Although in reality the effective stack that is played indicates that if V just calls, he is mathematically committed to the pot. Which could worsen his perceived range, as he would look wider OTR.
Greetings.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion his play was just bad. As he blocks so many flushdraws then it's obvious that you are mostly on made hand side. So he just raise bluff vs a range which call him very often. It doesn't make any sense with low equity from my perspective. I don't know how GTO looks in that spot, but from exploit side (what should be your main goal at nl25) it's just bad imo.