$25 NL HE 6-max: Too wide against an aggressive?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.10/$.25
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Villain CO was listed as "aggressive". He has not stopped stealing money in various positions. And particularly against him, I've folded a lot of hands.
However, I have the feeling that it was wide an OTT call. And regarding the opener of the hand, I have the feeling that UTG folded too many hands. He could be wrong in my perception, since he didn't play many hands with me. And regarding the flop, I think my game could also be another. But I decided the most open line possible with this V (it was a special case).

The hand: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/325db3yUD

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Interesting hand, it's tough because you think villain is bluffing, but on the other hand you only have A high and a draw. Was he putting his whole stack in on other hands with air? Often maniacs are using their image to get you to call light when they do have the goods, his line doesnt make much sense as he is really only representing sets and maybe slowplayed AA but I'm still not sure about calling it off, especially as 150bb deep or so.

If you want to out agro the maniac then you could have 3bet the flop, but the problem is if he ever has anything you are just punting your stack.

TheHulk7

TheHulk7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pre flop - AQo is a fold. As played I'd standard c bet the flop as you do. Flop raise is very strange to me and i am not sure what is the best play, set (66 - JJ ) prob never raise, you blocking A5ss - QQ - AA he would raise with so his check / raise makes no sense to me. Anyway its fold or push, call is not an option i guess. By jamming you will make fold some FD ( he can have some suited connectors / broadways, if he's so aggro maybe he raise with and some underpairs like 99 ).

Turn - fold.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was he putting his whole stack in on other hands with air?
No, but on another occasion he wanted to unsuccessfully catch bluffs with pure OTR air (QK vs TT). I saw that showdown but did not participate in it. (Approximate pot was 80bb, I don't remember exactly).

I wait a few days and I give you the spoiler, to give more opportunities for more opinions

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No, but on another occasion he wanted to unsuccessfully catch bluffs with pure OTR air (QK vs TT). I saw that showdown but did not participate in it. (Approximate pot was 80bb, I don't remember exactly).

I wait a few days and I give you the spoiler, to give more opportunities for more opinions
This is the problem, it's difficult to know if he will put 150bb with air. He probably has 'it' though it could be as weak as QJ that he decides to go with.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villain CO was listed as "aggressive". He has not stopped stealing money in various positions. And particularly against him, I've folded a lot of hands.
However, I have the feeling that it was wide an OTT call. And regarding the opener of the hand, I have the feeling that UTG folded too many hands. He could be wrong in my perception, since he didn't play many hands with me. And regarding the flop, I think my game could also be another. But I decided the most open line possible with this V (it was a special case).

Hi there dear mate, happy Sunday.
Against known aggressive players I like to be more passive and wait like a snake to let villain hang itself.
Preflop our 4-bet is fine if we are expecting villain to fold preflop more than calling. I would love to have any suited aces better than AQo to put up a 4-bet against it.
We could’ve just called from BU if UTG hasn’t opened first, and if we know there are weaker players in the blinds that could pop up and join the pot.
Villain is aggressive but is it 3-betting in a high frequency against EP? Which hands do we expect villain to be doing it?
The flop comes good to us and villain check-raises... this is embarrassing!
OTT completes the flush and comes a King, in theory we do own most of nutted flushes here and villain pushes his entire stack. Once again, unless I have a solid analysis that villain is tilted, I would fold it right now. And even if villain is tilted, it could have KJ, Kx, Jx, and we are calling to see if we do hit an ace or a flush nuts OTR.
Like I said, versus aggro I would play more passively than normal, inducing villain to make more mistakes.
If we do had AsQs, of course we would be going til the end, even if it doesn’t come another spades OTT.
Although villain had demonstrated weakness OTF, we don’t have any winning hand, just a hand with showdown value.
We also would be pretty optimistic, waiving villain to have hands like A2, A3, A5... villain has all the hands that have us beat OTT and we have barely 15% equity for stacks OTR.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi there dear mate, happy Sunday.
Against known aggressive players I like to be more passive and wait like a snake to let villain hang itself.
Preflop our 4-bet is fine if we are expecting villain to fold preflop more than calling. I would love to have any suited aces better than AQo to put up a 4-bet against it.
We could’ve just called from BU if UTG hasn’t opened first, and if we know there are weaker players in the blinds that could pop up and join the pot.
Villain is aggressive but is it 3-betting in a high frequency against EP? Which hands do we expect villain to be doing it?
The flop comes good to us and villain check-raises... this is embarrassing!
OTT completes the flush and comes a King, in theory we do own most of nutted flushes here and villain pushes his entire stack. Once again, unless I have a solid analysis that villain is tilted, I would fold it right now. And even if villain is tilted, it could have KJ, Kx, Jx, and we are calling to see if we do hit an ace or a flush nuts OTR.
Like I said, versus aggro I would play more passively than normal, inducing villain to make more mistakes.
If we do had AsQs, of course we would be going til the end, even if it doesn’t come another spades OTT.
Although villain had demonstrated weakness OTF, we don’t have any winning hand, just a hand with showdown value.
We also would be pretty optimistic, waiving villain to have hands like A2, A3, A5... villain has all the hands that have us beat OTT and we have barely 15% equity for stacks OTR.
Equity on turn is much higher than 15%.

As any spade or T will almost certainly give the nuts, so 12 outs for 25% equity. Depending what villain is shoving an Ace could be good too (maybe even a Q!), pushing up to 32% equity or so, close to the 36% or so needed. So it's not a horrible call by any means once we arrive to the turn like this, but it does rely on villain having some complete air that we beat to get the required equity v his range

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Equity on turn is much higher than 15%.

As any spade or T will almost certainly give the nuts, so 12 outs for 25% equity. Depending what villain is shoving an Ace could be good too (maybe even a Q!), pushing up to 32% equity or so, close to the 36% or so needed. So it's not a horrible call by any means once we arrive to the turn like this, but it does rely on villain having some complete air that we beat to get the required equity v his range
Thanks for your observation. I read it fast and haven’t used any tools to calculate precisely what is the equity.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for your observation. I read it fast and haven’t used any tools to calculate precisely what is the equity.

That's fine, I havent used any tools either and really probably the best answer would be to plug it into equilab and see the equity v possible likely ranges for villain. My guess would be something like 30% so not enough to profitably call.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

We want to refine our tags as much as possible as there are 2 basic kinds of agg skilled and less skilled- Any time we have an agg player we want to take the time to check their showdown hands to see which it is. If no showdown hands we want to see if they are being agg vs weaker players most often---As you have not played many hands with them it is possible that they target specific players to attack-as in this case you had a read on UTG of them folding the agg V might have the same read which suggests skill-

Preflop we may want to 4 bet larger as the V is folding most of their air to any size- so reducing the SPR vs their EQR flatting range is effective.

GTO is a fold on turn vs a skilled player however V did not use GTO sizings on flop
I hope your V was very weak or that you hit the spade.🤑

ok just read the other posts- If the V was a calling station as well as agg then we can check this flop most often to pot control- We do not have to worry about them not paying off with worse and the SPR is now low enough to get stacks on river

:unsure::geek:

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spoiler:

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.10/$0.25 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/325db3yUD

bitterdream (UTG): $39.70 (159 bb)
donrapper (MP): $15.54 (62 bb)
PumaPerez (CO): $40.27 (161 bb)
gustav197poker (BU): $37.71 (151 bb)
POREZANIY (SB): $25.00 (100 bb)
Flix2204 (BB): $27.00 (108 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.35) Hero (gustav197poker) is BTN with Q♥ A♠
bitterdream (UTG) raises to $0.50, 1 fold, PumaPerez (CO) 3-bets to $1.60, gustav197poker (BU) 4-bets to $3.70, 3 players fold, PumaPerez (CO) calls $2.10

Flop: ($8.25) J♠ 6♠ 4♣ (2 players)
PumaPerez (CO) checks, gustav197poker (BU) bets $2.52, PumaPerez (CO) raises to $6.80, gustav197poker (BU) calls $4.28

Turn: ($21.85) K♠ (2 players)
PumaPerez (CO) bets $29.77 (all-in), gustav197poker (BU) calls $27.21 (all-in)

First River: ($76.27) A♥ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Second River: ($76.27) 9♠ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $76.27 (Rake: $2)

First Showdown: Board: J♠ 6♠ 4♣ K♠ A♥

PumaPerez (CO) shows A♦ A♣ (three of a kind, Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 92%, Flop: 94%, Turn: 73%, River: 100%)

gustav197poker (BU) shows Q♥ A♠ (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 8%, Flop: 6%, Turn: 27%, River: 0%)

PumaPerez (CO) wins $37.14

Second Showdown: Board: J♠ 6♠ 4♣ K♠ 9♠

PumaPerez (CO) shows A♦ A♣ (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 92%, Flop: 94%, Turn: 73%, River: 0%)

gustav197poker (BU) shows Q♥ A♠ (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 8%, Flop: 6%, Turn: 27%, River: 100%)

gustav197poker (BU) wins $37.13

A little surprised that villain had pocket aces but that's poker life :)