$25 NL 6-max - Tough turn decision - Top pair vs Nut flush

R

royalstud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Work with me please! I play on bodog...CC hand converter doesnt work for bodog hand histories.

Villain was involved in a few small hands right before this one. Open limped a few times from middle position!! Seemed to be LAG. No other reads though.

My gut told me to push because he was on a draw.
I felt like I had enough fold equity to force him out.
Is it wrong to push the turn knowing he was on a major draw in this situation?

clubs.bmp
Q
spades.bmp
spades.bmp
diamonds.bmp

RoyalStud Q
diamonds.bmp
K
diamonds.bmp
$28.43
Villain A
spades.bmp
K
spades.bmp
$37.50

Hand Actions

peterpanic
Raise $ 0.95 22:52:10
rollindueces Fold $ 0.00
RoyalStud Call $ 0.95
eight_nine8(BUTTON) Fold
sugar nipples Fold $ 0.10
Valmont17 Fold $ 0.25

Betting round completed Last active pot = $2.25
Card dealt to table 9
clubs.bmp
Q
spades.bmp
spades.bmp

peterpanic Bet $ 1.80
RoyalStud Call $ 1.80

Betting round completed Last active pot = $5.85

Card dealt to table 2
diamonds.bmp

peterpanic Bet $ 4.00
RoyalStud All-in $ 25.68

Last edited:
c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hide the results next time.

1) I like the call preflop with position. Out of position, I think we should be 3-betting this hand.
2) Your " My gut told me to push because he was on a draw." is the wrong way to think about this sort of thing.

First of all, your opponent has a range of hands, not just 1 hand. Sure, spade draws might be a large part of his range, but so would AQ, JT, 99, ect.

Secondly, if you think a large portion of his range is draws, then you want a call when you raise. Even if your opponent has the best draw on the board against your hand (JsTs), then he is a 1:2 underdog to your hand. If he has AsKs he is a 1:2.7 underdog.

You want him to put money into the pot while he is behind, and you want him to put as much in as possible. So don't bet to make him fold, bet to make him call, and bet large enough so that his call will be a mistake.

I think the turn shove is a little over-zealous. If you feel comfortable playing for stacks, because he stacks off light, then go ahead and shove. But in general, you don't want to get your stack in with just TP2K in a ring game.

Full Flush Poker