vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GAME #1198663597: Texas Hold'em NL $1.00/$2.00 2008-10-04 21:00:11
Table Duhbai (No DP Heads Up)
Seat 3: ThatsWhatHappens ($456.00 in chips) DEALER
Seat 8: horRorOfBeiRuT ($372.60 in chips)
ThatsWhatHappens: Post SB $1.00
horRorOfBeiRuT: Post BB $2.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ThatsWhatHappens [2h Kh]
ThatsWhatHappens: Raise $6.00
horRorOfBeiRuT: Call $4.00
*** FLOP *** [4h Kd 7h]
horRorOfBeiRuT: Check
ThatsWhatHappens: Bet $10.00
horRorOfBeiRuT: Raise $30.00
ThatsWhatHappens: Raise $123.00

I think I played this bad because maybe my flop 3-bet actually narrows his range to hands that my hand plays poorly against (slowplayed AK, any set, any two pair - granted I don't think he flats with 44 as much).

How do I play this better?

No particular reads other than his snapcalling my preflop shove earlier when he had 66 and I had QQ. He has definitely tightened up since then.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seems like a clear bet/call on flop to me. this is a flop people will c/r with bluffs, and your hand has mucho showdown value even if you don't improve. like you said, once you 3bet, you pretty much only like your hearts as outs and maybe 2s if you get further action because you narrow his range a lot

i think the lone potential benefit of 3betting flop is that maybe you can get him in with other heart draws, especially combo draws, and then he's crushed. but i don't think that makes up enough of his range and you can't say for sure he'll be 4betting those

there's a possibility you could even check behind the flop if you think him misinterpreting your range on later streets presents a big enough upside. what i mean is that he's never going to expect you to check behind a FD on flop. and he might not expect you to be checking behind a K on this board texture. you just happen to have the rare combination of those hands in your range that you could safely check behind with. i still prefer betting for value though and calling a raise in position