$200 NLHE 6-max: $ NLHE 6-max: Hand at local card house, live 1/2

M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In online poker, I'd agree with you. Players generally don't donk unless they have either a moderate strength hand (second pair or TPBK) or a draw (flush draw or OESD).

But in live poker, I've seen players donk out 2 pair hands on the flop: one guy had an $80 stack, he called a $15 raise in the BB with Q7o, the flop came Q75 rainbow and he donk shoves his remaining $65 stack into a $45 pot. Of course, I had AQ so I snap-called and lost. I've also had fishy players limp-call then donk the flop because they have no idea what a continuation bet is and they don't realise that check-calling the flop is a valid option.

And generally when I 2bet someone that donks into me and they make a small 3bet back at me, as opposed to shoving, I tend to give that a lot more respect. I tend to assume that a flush draw is either calling or making a big raise / shove, not making a small raise. How often does a draw min-raise?

Maybe I'm just not experienced enough against these kinds of fish, but I totally did not expect the villain to show up with 77 here... so in live poker, you're generally stacking off overpairs in 15 SPR pots on low boards when 2 pair combos look unlikely?

I've never played live, but everyone always mentions how fishy the players are. They'd check-raise JJ/QQ on this type of board, donk out TPWK, stack-off light, etc. I think raising KK here has more to do with reads Metsdude may have had on the the fishy villain in the hand. If he were an old man nit or a tighter person who doesn't stack-off light, then raising is probably super marginal or -EV.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands