$200 NL HE 6-max: What is your opinion preflop and postflop of this hand?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$1/$2
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $1/$2 - 4 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/325dUPHze

Bimaxa (UTG): $202.76 (101 bb)
f4mq3 (BU): $200.00 (100 bb)
Jagar_Spa (SB): $204.00 (102 bb)
gustav197poker (BB): $228.08 (114 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($3) Hero (gustav197poker) is BB with 5♠ A♠
2 players fold, Jagar_Spa (SB) raises to $6, gustav197poker (BB) 3-bets to $17, Jagar_Spa (SB) calls $11

Flop: ($34) 9♠ K♠ 8♦ (2 players)
Jagar_Spa (SB) checks, gustav197poker (BB) bets $10.48, Jagar_Spa (SB) calls $10.48

Turn: ($54.96) 9♣ (2 players)
Jagar_Spa (SB) bets $16.11, gustav197poker (BB) calls $16.11

River: ($87.18) 3♠ (2 players)
Jagar_Spa (SB) bets $64.45, gustav197poker (BB) calls $64.45

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Looks fine to me, your 3bet could be slightly larger and your flop bet too on such a wet board, but it's fine.

Villain represents a 9 on the turn and I think just calling is fine. On the river villain could have a boat, weaker flush, a bluff or 9x that is going a bit thin for value. I think raising would be too thin, and clearly you are never folding, so nice call.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre is fine imo 4 handed where its SB vs BB and we pretty much think SB is doing this action with anything that they are actually continuing with in the hand (that you would know more of since my thinking would change if you have seen villain just complete from the SB in blind vs blind before or have seen some other action) and we have what is likely to be a better hand. With that said, depending on how aggressive villain is post flop I dont think calling is terrible since we feel we have the better hand and in position. However, if villain is someone that is going to fire a high % of c bets then if you just call here you are rarely folding just the run of the mill flops anyway so you would be calling that and your 3 bet is basically like calling that c bet as far as putting the chips in the pot and now you control the hand and villain could fold. So all in all I like 3 betting more in these types of spots where it is blind vs blind and there are very few people at the table. I think your sizing should be a tick bigger but I dont think 17 is terrible but I think 20 plays better here.

Flop: We got a good flop and its a hand that even though we are 100 BBs deep I dont think we are worried about being check raised on (or better put, how we would react to a check raise) so I would c bet here repping a 3 bet range. I would go larger than you did since its a 3 bet pot and I dont mind if villain folds this but I wouldnt have gone that much bigger. I would just make it look like I am trying to price out a flush draw so I would go over 1/3rd here so maybe something like 14 give or take. With sizings bigger than 1/3rd villain will put us on less flush draws and more made hands which if the flush comes in will allow us to get paid off/bluffed into more.

Turn: The 9 is not a truly bad card since it limits what villain could have hit on flop but we dont want to see the board pair when we have the nut flush draw either. Villain leading here is weird to me based on their sizing. I get with 9x hands they would not want a check back which is what we would do a lot but their sizing is under 1/3rd pot so they are not pricing out flush draws. I would think 9x would go bigger here (not huge but juts bigger) so that would worry me a bit into thinking could this be a boat but why would a boat lead here and risk a fold? Plus wouldnt 2 pair hands on the flop raise our small bet when the board is so wet with a flush draw and a straight draw? Cant see K9, K8, 98 just calling there on that board. With that I discount boats. I also dont think villain bets here with a draw as they would try to get a free card plus nothing better than their draw (assuming they had one) would fold on that turn that sizing. Given that we have the ace high flush draw and are priced in I would just be calling this. We dont have anything to raise with yet so anything villain would actually fold at this point would be losing to us minus maybe some select 8x but that is just a sliver so I think call here is the clear way to proceed.

River: Flush hits so we have to be happy about that. I dont think they had a boat or a draw on the turn so outside of 93 I dont think too often they have a boat. I also think as I mentioned it was a weird sizing for 9x as well so I would be a little in the dark here about their hand. They bet a large amount on river as they should for polarized reasons. I dont think we can ever fold here imo so it comes down to call river or put them in. Their bluffs clearly arent calling a raise and I think their 9x should be able to fold too unless they are really thinking they are getting bluffed which for the raise sizing isnt happening much due to the price we would be giving them. I think we are ahead here and I am fairly confident we are ahead but I think there is not enough worse stuff that calls here especially piecing together how the hand was played by villain (namely, that turn bet and sizing) . I just dont think a flush draw does that there so our main value target in this hand are worse flushes but think they arent there. So in the end, I would just call here as you did and I might kick myself after the hand for it but I really do think 9x folds (villain dependent of course) and smaller flushes are actually less numerous here than boats based on turn action so Im just calling.

Interested as to what villain had.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $1/$2 - 4 players

Bimaxa (UTG): $202.76 (101 bb)
f4mq3 (BU): $200.00 (100 bb)
Jagar_Spa (SB): $204.00 (102 bb)
gustav197poker (BB): $228.08 (114 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($3) Hero (gustav197poker) is BB with 5♠ A♠
2 players fold, Jagar_Spa (SB) raises to $6, gustav197poker (BB) 3-bets to $17, Jagar_Spa (SB) calls $11

Jagar_Spa (SB) checks, gustav197poker (BB) bets $10.48, Jagar_Spa (SB) calls $10.48

Jagar_Spa (SB) bets $16.11, gustav197poker (BB) calls $16.11

Jagar_Spa (SB) bets $64.45, gustav197poker (BB) calls $64.45
Preflop we are certainly 3-betting more often than calling friend. This flop is very good to us and I like 1/3 pot here for our entire range. Even when we don’t get a flush draw but a BDF, any 5, any ace, any 3, 4 etc we are betting 1/3 pot.
On the turn our equity for a flush drops down and we could be raising more than calling: we are raising to jam basically any river card. We are missing our draws 70-80% of times here, this is why I think that we could be raising right now, expecting villain to fold dominated and missing hands.
If we raise here OTT and villain calls, we can also jam river when it comes another spades. Villain will have to call more given SPR.
On the river, as long as we haven’t raised turn, I’m board with just calling to realize our equity. If we raise here villain can call with a couple of lower flushes but that’s it. Given we have a doubled 9 it’s better to just call.
Besides I agree with (almost) everything @Station_Master and the deep analysis of our mate @300HPGOD said. The only thing I disagreed is that we should go for a larger bet OTF. The reason that we bet smaller OTF is because our 3-bet range, when BB x SB, is way to large: we are 3-betting hands like 65s, any pocket pair, most of suited kings and some suited queens, J7s+, you name it. As much more hands we own per position, less our bet sizing. If we bet 1/2 pot here and villain raises we cannot fold and we are going to commit ourselves to the pot.
I like to use larger sizing when I’m opening from EP, because there I open fewer hands and consequently have less bluffs.
It seems that until now we all agree that OTR we must call. I would love to read a dissonant opinion over this matter.
Also I don’t mind for the hand results. Hero played the hand just fine and that’s what really matters in poker. I think Hero is winning here most of times, but in the case not, nice hand and let the chips fall as they may!

Best regards;

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre is fine imo 4 handed where its SB vs BB and we pretty much think SB is doing this action with anything that they are actually continuing with in the hand (that you would know more of since my thinking would change if you have seen villain just complete from the SB in blind vs blind before or have seen some other action) and we have what is likely to be a better hand. With that said, depending on how aggressive villain is post flop I dont think calling is terrible since we feel we have the better hand and in position. However, if villain is someone that is going to fire a high % of c bets then if you just call here you are rarely folding just the run of the mill flops anyway so you would be calling that and your 3 bet is basically like calling that c bet as far as putting the chips in the pot and now you control the hand and villain could fold. So all in all I like 3 betting more in these types of spots where it is blind vs blind and there are very few people at the table. I think your sizing should be a tick bigger but I dont think 17 is terrible but I think 20 plays better here.

Flop: We got a good flop and its a hand that even though we are 100 BBs deep I dont think we are worried about being check raised on (or better put, how we would react to a check raise) so I would c bet here repping a 3 bet range. I would go larger than you did since its a 3 bet pot and I dont mind if villain folds this but I wouldnt have gone that much bigger. I would just make it look like I am trying to price out a flush draw so I would go over 1/3rd here so maybe something like 14 give or take. With sizings bigger than 1/3rd villain will put us on less flush draws and more made hands which if the flush comes in will allow us to get paid off/bluffed into more.

Turn: The 9 is not a truly bad card since it limits what villain could have hit on flop but we dont want to see the board pair when we have the nut flush draw either. Villain leading here is weird to me based on their sizing. I get with 9x hands they would not want a check back which is what we would do a lot but their sizing is under 1/3rd pot so they are not pricing out flush draws. I would think 9x would go bigger here (not huge but juts bigger) so that would worry me a bit into thinking could this be a boat but why would a boat lead here and risk a fold? Plus wouldnt 2 pair hands on the flop raise our small bet when the board is so wet with a flush draw and a straight draw? Cant see K9, K8, 98 just calling there on that board. With that I discount boats. I also dont think villain bets here with a draw as they would try to get a free card plus nothing better than their draw (assuming they had one) would fold on that turn that sizing. Given that we have the ace high flush draw and are priced in I would just be calling this. We dont have anything to raise with yet so anything villain would actually fold at this point would be losing to us minus maybe some select 8x but that is just a sliver so I think call here is the clear way to proceed.

River: Flush hits so we have to be happy about that. I dont think they had a boat or a draw on the turn so outside of 93 I dont think too often they have a boat. I also think as I mentioned it was a weird sizing for 9x as well so I would be a little in the dark here about their hand. They bet a large amount on river as they should for polarized reasons. I dont think we can ever fold here imo so it comes down to call river or put them in. Their bluffs clearly arent calling a raise and I think their 9x should be able to fold too unless they are really thinking they are getting bluffed which for the raise sizing isnt happening much due to the price we would be giving them. I think we are ahead here and I am fairly confident we are ahead but I think there is not enough worse stuff that calls here especially piecing together how the hand was played by villain (namely, that turn bet and sizing) . I just dont think a flush draw does that there so our main value target in this hand are worse flushes but think they arent there. So in the end, I would just call here as you did and I might kick myself after the hand for it but I really do think 9x folds (villain dependent of course) and smaller flushes are actually less numerous here than boats based on turn action so Im just calling.

Interested as to what villain had.
Thxs a lot. Yes, ln a few days I'll give you the spoiler.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SPOILER:

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $1/$2 - 4 players

UTG: $202.76 (101 bb)
BU: $200.00 (100 bb)
SB: $204.00 (102 bb)
BB (Hero): $228.08 (114 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($3) Hero is BB with 5♠ A♠
2 players fold, SB raises to $6, Hero 3-bets to $17, SB calls $11

SB checks, Hero bets $10.48, SB calls $10.48

SB bets $16.11, Hero calls $16.11

SB bets $64.45, Hero calls $64.45

Total pot: $216.08 (Rake: $1.25)

Showdown:
SB shows 7♥ 9♥ (three of a kind, Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 44%, Flop: 54%, Turn: 84%, River: 0%)

BB (Hero) shows 5♠ A♠ (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 56%, Flop: 46%, Turn: 16%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) wins $214.83

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
For me preflop is ok, the action to the river is also ok, but since he raise the ~3/4 pot on the river (usually this indicates that there is not a full house), you can just shove. (I would definitely push.)
Nice play!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands