$20 NL HE 6-max: Wise or Stupid All In? Or somewhere in between perhaps...

A

ArcaneHuman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.10/$.20
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Hero has KK in the SB
two players limp
Hero opens to 5 big blinds
BB folds and two original limpers both call

Pot is now 16.5 big blinds

Flop comes 9c7s8h

Hero c-bets 7.5 big blinds
One villain calls. The other folds

Pot is now 31 big blinds

Turn comes 2c
So there's now a straight possibility/straight draw and a flush draw.

At this point I (accurately) put the villain on some silly draw (Even if he was just looking for an Ace to pair up on the river or something). Either way, I felt that he could possibly improve drastically on the river so i decided to just raise all in and a) make him pay if he wants to draw and b) get him to fold right away and steal the pot right there.

So Hero shoves on the turn raising it another 56.5 big blinds.
That's a pretty big over bet so i don't know how to think about this decision.
I doubt it was the perfect play, but villain ended up calling with a open ended straight draw that missed and I won the hand.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Well, if you find players that call overbets with just a draw when you have a hand it is of course correct to do so as long as they don't adapt. Just don't bluff the same players with balanced overbets.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hero has KK in the SB
two players limp
Hero opens to 5 big blinds
BB folds and two original limpers both call

Pot is now 16.5 big blinds

Flop comes 9c7s8h

Hero c-bets 7.5 big blinds
One villain calls. The other folds

Pot is now 31 big blinds

Turn comes 2c
So there's now a straight possibility/straight draw and a flush draw.

At this point I (accurately) put the villain on some silly draw (Even if he was just looking for an Ace to pair up on the river or something). Either way, I felt that he could possibly improve drastically on the river so i decided to just raise all in and a) make him pay if he wants to draw and b) get him to fold right away and steal the pot right there.

So Hero shoves on the turn raising it another 56.5 big blinds.
That's a pretty big over bet so i don't know how to think about this decision.
I doubt it was the perfect play, but villain ended up calling with a open ended straight draw that missed and I won the hand.
Preflop our sizing is good but we can go for 6-7 BB considering these guys are unbalanced and will call with trash more often than they should, and we want to build the pot as soon as possible in situations like this. OTF we could also have bet larger to begin extracting of villain's draws. OTT I see no problem in shoving because those who chase flushes and draws will continue seeking their low equity so this is a great opportunity for doing so having narrowly 70% equity.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Obviously we are going to raise the limpers with a hand as strong as KK. As others have said you could go a bit bigger though.

Flop
This is an absolutely terrible flop for KK, and I hate C-betting here, especially being out of position against multible opponents. There are so many hands, that already have you beat with two pair or a straight, or that flopped huge equity with some sort of draw or pair + draw. And if they missed completely with for instance an underpair to the board, or with overcards and no draw, they are just going to fold. So betting here accomplish very little, and the absolutely best play is to check and evaluate.

Turn
You got literally the best possible turn card. There is also a lot to be said for the fact, that if the opponent flopped two pair or better, they would likely have raised you on the flop. So as played I am actually kind of ok with jamming here. And obviously you got the best possible result from a terrible player.