$2 NLHE Full Ring: Flopped Set on a super draw heavy board, should I fear a river check/raise?

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE Full Ring: Flopped Set on a super draw heavy board, should I fear a river check/raise?

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 13.46/7.69/1.33

I played this hand a lot more passively than normal. I flatted MP raise as he was pretty tight and I had position. SB who seemed weak-tight called which meant really, nothing. I flopped the set on a 4 flush board and normally I end up blowing everyone out of the water here fearing a Flush but wanting to extract more value from a flopped set, I thought here that I would deal with a 3rd Heart if it came, so instead of re-raising I called again. When the small blind called I figured, he flatted two streets OOP and didn't seem to mind playing in a mullti-way pot so he's probably drawing, maybe a small pocket pair or suited connectors. Of course not only was the turn a Heart but also made a straight draw. Now I was afraid I screwed myself so all of a sudden I woke up and decided I better narrow down the field. When MP checked I bet slightly more about half pot, thinking if villain hit his draw he'd let me know. The SB called which worried me. Fortunately MP folded making it heads up going to the River. The 4 seemed to make things even worse, I thought if he has 76s I'm toast but since he called the turn I kind of thought I was already dead. At this point I'm pretty paranoid and cursing myself for slowplaying a big hand when I never do. To me the SB river check meant one of three things, he missed his draw, he has an overpair which he misplayed as badly as I misplayed my set or the one that seemed most likely to me at the time was a check-raise...

Full Tilt - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3
UTG+1: $2.67
MP: $1.54
MP+1: $1.71
CO: $2.65
Hero (BTN): $2.00
SB: $2.25
BB: $2.38
UTG: $1.43
SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02
Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has T T
fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to $0.06, fold, Hero calls $0.06, SB calls $0.05, fold
Flop: ($0.20, 3 players) 3 2 T
SB bets $0.18, fold, Hero calls $0.18
Turn: ($0.56, 2 players) 5
SB checks, Hero bets $0.36, SB calls $0.36
River: ($1.28, 2 players) 4
SB checks, Hero???

wrung24

wrung24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cold calling is ok here I would think, in that spot I'm hoping for a multiway pot.

Raise the flop though, if he's weak tight but willing to put money in the pot, then you should always be jamming thbe nuts. I would tend to think that a weak tight players range consists of a lot of PP in that spot, so if he's hit a set then Bingo !

As played you would need to know if that player is capable of betting big on a draw, if he is then check it down, if not then get it in, as he's weak tight then I would tend to think he's not drawing.

C

cazique

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't worry about blowing every one out by raising the flop

Think about it this way. If MP+1 has an overpair, he will stil have a hard time laying down on this board. He might decide that his hand is still best and get it in with hands that you crush. If he has a smaller set, he will definitely push to prevent anyone drawing cheaply. If anyone has a heart draw or even a straight flush draw, then you force him to put the money when you are a big favourite (vs FD or SD), or a small favourite (vs SD+FD)

Once the third heart comes, the action will slow down a LOT. Overpairs and smaller sets will slow down somewhat. Flush draws now get there and you will berate yourself for letting him outdraw you cheaply. That's why you should get all the money in on the flop to prevent a bad turn card from completely freezing the action.

Remember that your raise on the flop will blow away hands that aren't likely to continue beyond the flop anyway. hands like 55-99 won't be too interested in the pot after seeing an overcard. So by raising you will fold out some hands that you beat, but in the process getting quite a few worse hands to call. Definitely a winning play in my book.

Last edited: