$2 NLHE Full Ring: do you bet this river ?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 8 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.13 (107 bb)
UTG+1: $1.98 (99 bb)
MP (Hero): $4.13 (207 bb)
MP+1: $1.94 (97 bb)
CO: $3.44 (172 bb)
BU: $0.80 (40 bb)
SB: $1.44 (72 bb)
BB: $3.23 (162 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with K Q
UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.10, MP+1 calls $0.10, 4 players fold, UTG calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.33) 7 J 4 (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.12, MP+1 calls $0.12, UTG calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.69) Q (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.30, MP+1 calls $0.30, UTG calls $0.30

River: ($1.59) 8 (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP+1 checks

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll start with my analysis of the hand and I'll answer your specific question after that. I think my thought process adds some context.

Pre-flop

Without prior information, the UTG limp/caller can almost have any two. Hard to say what the MP caller's holding, but flatting with someone left to act I'm thinking a weak pair, suited ace, or suited connectors.

Flop
Considering there are two people left in the hand, the ratio of value bets to bluffs should be lower than normal. KQo is towards the low end of playable cards from MP that don't contain a jack, and probably a good candidate for a C-bet bluff so I don't mind it that much.

You could consider checking behind because the flop connects better with both the villain's ranges. Assuming they know that you're susceptible to a check-raise, forcing you to fold a considerable amount of equity with two overs.

Turn
Getting two callers on the flop and hitting TPGK on the turn is about the most awkward thing possible. Flush draws and sets become more likely. I don't think you're likely to get any action from middle pair or worse though. Taxing flush the flush draw combo's is best in my opinion.

River
If you're up against a set I would've expected them to have reraised you already. UTG could have a set planning to check-raise. Considering the action in previous streets, T9 is a very unlikely holding for both of them to have. Most likely holdings would be marginal hands or missed flush draws, and maybe some two pair combos. With two players still in, the probability that one of them has some weird strong holding increases. They will also almost certainly fold all their missed flushes.

Conclusion
So do you bet the river? Probably not. KQo is a marginal holding with a fair amount of equity so you're happy to go to showdown. If you're betting you're likely to get called by better while not getting any value from worse. When you're concerned with balancing your range: KJo, JTs and maybe your own missed flush draws are better bluff candidates than KQo.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I don't like your flop bet. both villain's can have small sets and Jx hands, and you have ton of better bluffs, like flush draws, backdoor draws. turn and river are played fine.