$2 NLHE 6-max: What do you think of both my opponents range during each street and my own?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: What do you think of both my opponents range during each street and my own?

What do you think about my opponents range on each street?
what do you think on the river, what values do we have? what bluffs?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $4.17 (209 bb)
CO: $2.87 (144 bb)
BU (Hero): $1.70 (85 bb)
SB: $4.59 (230 bb)
BB: $2.61 (131 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with ???
2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.14) T 5 2 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.04, SB calls $0.04

Turn: ($0.22) K (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.14, SB calls $0.14

River: ($0.50) 9 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL you clearly think in the wrong way in micros.
You should think less about ranges and more about frequencies in nl2, unless its single raise pot or something like that.
You should try to figure how effective your bets are. If they fold on this texture decent amount etc. how big can you go with value, if its worth bluffing etc.
Hope i gave explained it somewhat understandable, even tho its not what you asked for.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

EDIT: you dont think of their range too much, because some play 80% of hands some are super tight etc. Some overfold otf, some call gutshots in 3b pots and some just go all in with top pair for 10x pot, etc.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain's range is about the same on each street prior to the river imo. Cold calling in the sb is almost always bad and a sign of a weak passive player who tends to call down with a lot of marginal holdings. I would put him on any pair, suited aces and kings of diamonds or clubs, suited connectors diamonds or clubs, most pocket pairs and obviously sets. I think this specific player type can check back the river with both marginal and great hands so about the same range. Obviously, villain is check/folding all his junk on the river though.

As for your own range. The best exploitative adjustment is to have no bluffs and I think you should play that. With the missed diamonds I think you can go for thin value with top pair +. Villain is probably supposed to continue with a backdoor combo draw such as QcJc or 6c7c so he'll going to show clubs at some frequency. You'll also get calls from middle or even bottom pair though so I think you'll come out ahead. Check back everything else.

If you really want to be balanced or my read of this player is wrong and he overfolds the river your best bluff combo's are missed diamonds with no showdown. 8c7c, 8c6c and low Jxs and low Qxs. You don't really need all that much bluffs though since you'll be checking back the river with a lot.

Last word of advice. Don't overcomplicate the micro's while playing, but overcomplicate the micro's while studying. You need to exploit the population for an optimal winrate, but we don't want to be playing there forever so at some point you'll need the advanced concepts (which you're already good at judging from your post). What I'm saying is I don't really agree with feisas' reply.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SB is defending all the streets and intends to go to the showdown. In my opinion, there may be ten in his range, pocket pairs. Which he does not want to fold. There may be a QJ and a check-call on the river. A flush is hard to expect in your hand range. Because there was no flush draw on the flop and the opponent does not believe you on the river. I would think of high cards with a king (e.g. AK, KQ), maybe set, two pairs. But the pot-sized bet is frankly embarrassing. It makes no sense to bet so much on the river. If you like to play aggressively with a draw, then the QJ suited may be in your range.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not quite sure, what you are really asking about here? If your opponent can hand read, then your line with progressively larger bet sizes on each street is mostly representing, that you backdoored into a straight or flush. I am not sure, I particularly love this bet sizing, but its difficult to say without knowing, which hand you had, and what you were trying to achieve.

As for your opponent his range will depend on, what kind of player he is. Even at 2NL there are some nits and tags, and they will tend to have a quite narrow and also capped range for calling from SB, meaning that they only have a very specific set of holdings like small to medium pairs and decent broadways or suited connectors like KQo or 98s. As the pot gets bigger, their range will get even more narrow. They probably fold even a hand like AT on the river to this sizing.

But 2NL also have recreational players, some of whom VPIP 50-90%. And that kind of player can have a much wider range possibly even calling you down with something as weak as A2, because he dont want to bluffed, and he dont care about losing 50c, because its basically the price of nothing.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not quite sure, what you are really asking about here? If your opponent can hand read, then your line with progressively larger bet sizes on each street is mostly representing, that you backdoored into a straight or flush. I am not sure, I particularly love this bet sizing, but its difficult to say without knowing, which hand you had, and what you were trying to achieve.

As for your opponent his range will depend on, what kind of player he is. Even at 2NL there are some nits and tags, and they will tend to have a quite narrow and also capped range for calling from SB, meaning that they only have a very specific set of holdings like small to medium pairs and decent broadways or suited connectors like KQo or 98s. As the pot gets bigger, their range will get even more narrow. They probably fold even a hand like AT on the river to this sizing.

But 2NL also have recreational players, some of whom VPIP 50-90%. And that kind of player can have a much wider range possibly even calling you down with something as weak as A2, because he dont want to bluffed, and he dont care about losing 50c, because its basically the price of nothing.

What is a SB's flatting range in the position to begin with? isn't SB supposed to 3-bet most if not all of their range? I have no clue what a SB flat would be... maybe suited connectors, weak suited aces, and weaker PP?

I am trying to understand and explore the funneling process we use when we are playing poker, when I bet the flop villain will fold some portion of his range, on the turn when I bet again villain will fold x part of his range, and so on. I am trying to explore bluffing more so I can exploit my opponents.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After looking at the hand again it seems villain may not really fold anything in his range because he only needs hands with 18% required equity to call on the flop, there can't be much in his range that doesn't have at least that amount assuming I do have some bluffs in my range...maybe Villain can fold middle suited connectors like 98s,87s,76s that don't have FD or BDFD on the flop.

I gave villain a SB Pre-Flop flatting range of weak PP, weaker suited connectors and some suited broadways and off-suit broadways, and all weaker suited aces. Someone mentioned they may be timid if they are flatting SB that's why I have included some of the broadways as-well in his Pre-flop flat calling range

Kc comes on the turn, this card should be better for our range since we are the aggressor. I decide to barrel this turn card because I think its better for our range and its an over-card to the flop. We bet 2/3 pot. What parts of villains range will fold here?...Well he needs a required equity of 28%.

Villains range that do not have 28% equity are basically Weaker Suited-Connectors that called flop with FD, BDFD: 98,87,76s.

the rest of his range should have the equity required including all weaker suited Ax but in reality I think most A-highs will fold on this turn that don't have the FD's. I also think a-lot of weaker PP's will fold to this turn bet. Mostly what would call turn is all Tx, Kx, some middling pairs and the decent FD's like J9,Q9,QJ of diamonds.

The problem is I expect villains to be betting their sets at some point and this villain called my river bet with 55. Is it typical or good play to play a set in this fashion?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are people generally folding A-high or missed Broadways to a 1/3 pot bet on the flop?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After looking at the hand again it seems villain may not really fold anything in his range because he only needs hands with 18% required equity to call on the flop, there can't be much in his range that doesn't have at least that amount assuming I do have some bluffs in my range...maybe Villain can fold middle suited connectors like 98s,87s,76s that don't have FD or BDFD on the flop.

I gave villain a SB Pre-Flop flatting range of weak PP, weaker suited connectors and some suited broadways and off-suit broadways, and all weaker suited aces. Someone mentioned they may be timid if they are flatting SB that's why I have included some of the broadways as-well in his Pre-flop flat calling range

Kc comes on the turn, this card should be better for our range since we are the aggressor. I decide to barrel this turn card because I think its better for our range and its an over-card to the flop. We bet 2/3 pot. What parts of villains range will fold here?...Well he needs a required equity of 28%.

Villains range that do not have 28% equity are basically Weaker Suited-Connectors that called flop with FD, BDFD: 98,87,76s.

the rest of his range should have the equity required including all weaker suited Ax but in reality I think most A-highs will fold on this turn that don't have the FD's. I also think a-lot of weaker PP's will fold to this turn bet. Mostly what would call turn is all Tx, Kx, some middling pairs and the decent FD's like J9,Q9,QJ of diamonds.

The problem is I expect villains to be betting their sets at some point and this villain called my river bet with 55. Is it typical or good play to play a set in this fashion?

Since you has unveiled the mystery and now we know that V plays his strong hands slowly. Can the hero get value from the Kxs or is he blocking them? If he is blocking them from which hands does hero expect to gain value? Small pocket pairs that fold on this texture? If that's his fold equity range + some missed draws, what range does hero have from the opening at 3x from BTN? If hero has 85 effective bb and opens at 3x his range should be quite tight. But it really isn't, as hero is thinking about wide ranges. My doubt is that you assign for V, flush draw combos and possibly the best ones with Axs and low pockets. If you want to have a more balanced range you should check behind that flop and possibly recheck the turn and river, since it is very possible that V is ahead with the Axs and Ks. And your range will be dominated in draws, when you represent a wide range from BU.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is a SB's flatting range in the position to begin with? isn't SB supposed to 3-bet most if not all of their range?

You are playing 2NL, and the vast majority of your opponents are not doing, what they are "supposed to". They are either playing purely for fun, or they are "regs" but beginners. "Regs", who have been playing for a while, have moved up.

I would have check-raised a set on either the flop or turn. However on the river your full pot sized bet is representing a straight or flush, so at this point calling was definitely the correct decision by him. He cant fold, because you might be bluffing or overplaying two pair, but his set was no longer strong enough to raise.

You will see a lot of beginners slowplay to much, and as I said already, at 2NL nearly everyone are beginners. Honestly you might consider moving up, when you are taking the game this serious. 5NL is a little less fishy and more like, what you will find at higher limits, and 10NL is the limit, where you can begin to make a little bit of money.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this hand I think my range is uncapped, I can have AA,KK,TT. KT, 55, AK,

Villains range seems like it can contain Tx, KQ,KJ, K9,A5. Some diamond draws and some club hands like A2cc,A3cc,A4cc. And possibly QJdd or clubs

I bet pot

Risk/(risk+reward)= my bluff needs to work 50% of the time, does villain fold half his range to this river bet? Well..

Hes probrably not folding his flushes; A2cc,A3cc,A4cc, QTcc, JTcc.Probrably not folding QJ, 2 combos if we include the ones with FD/BDFD on flop.

T9 will call, it has rivered two pair, (2 combos)
KJ and K9 probably call (3 combos each, 6 combos total)

QT if hearts and spadess and diamonds should fold (3 combos)
JT all suits but clubs should fold (3combos)

A5 should fold (3 combos)

Total combos that call= 15
Total combos that should fold = 9.

Total combos overall = 24

9/24= 37.5 % . This bluff is -ev. Especially if we include slow played sets some portion of the time

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am still not sure, what your hand was, but apparently you were bluffing and then obviously lost, when he called with his set. I dont hate bluffing on this runout, but I think, betting 60% pot will get almost as many folds as betting full pot, so I dont particularly like the sizing. In top of that you want to pick the right hands to bluff with. Maybe a good candidate could be 43 of hearts or 43 of spades, since these hands are literally the nut low, and they dont block the busted diamond draw.