$2 NLHE 6-max: Top Two Pair vs Set

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think I would have been able to fold either but I would have definitely noticed that something is up here. I am not sure how the villain played and if they normally min raised like that but I would be certain that they are not potting two streets in a row with air there. I think a lot of Kx hands bet pot there on the flop because they are scared of the flush draw so I would call. The turn improves our hand to beat all Kx except KK (they could have but doubt it) so I would not be folding there either. I dont like raising as if we are beating the villain why would we want to raise and have them fold out worse hands? I think you need to be calling this but it just bad the way it works out. Folding seems way too tight to me unless there is some read you have on villain like they only min raise with small pairs and they rarely bluff post flop. Tough hand but to me it looks like you did nothing wrong. Some might say to 3 bet pre but I am not a fan of that either unless you know villain folds to 3 bets often. I would just be calling a min raise there to see a flop with KQ.

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop-Personally if I'm gonna play this hand from the small blind when there is a raise I will 3-bet it. You are out of position to everyone so even when you hit your hand it is tough to play. If you prefer to have calls in your SB range then this is fine. But let's not forget he min-raised 2x so it doesn't show much strength preflop.

Flop-Check/Call. I would have played the same we have a good hand for this flop and we have the Qs for a back door flush draw.

Turn-We just made top 2 pair! (And the flush draw missed) This is even better then another K for us. So here I would check/raise because I want to get all the money possible in on the turn. We block pocket Q's and K's with our hand so there is only one combo of each. And if he has Ax of spades or suited connectors I want to charge him as much as possible for him to draw. And he can't have KQs of spades so the only pair/draw he has is AKs of spades and I want to get all in with that here as well. When we call the river is going to be a guessing game when it's a rough card for us.

River-If your going to play it passively as you did this is a very easy call in my opinion. All the draws missed and you have top 2 pair. I would have preferred to get this all in on the turn or by river. The 7 on the river changes nothing so you beat almost every hand he raises from UTG except KK and QQ and you block both of those hands. Pocket 2's and 3's are very unlikely raises from UTG and also back to preflop this is another reason why 3-betting works wonders. Regardless I would have never folded your hand. Shame he has 22 but I would love if he was raising that wide UTG. Take advantage of that in the future and 3-bet more often.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 3 bet that if I know he folds to 65% or more 3 bets over a reasonable sample size. Otherwise call is fine for me.

Without stats hard to read this. I am not loving those pot sized bets on flop & turn though, he either likes his hand or is a bit wild. Reluctant call from me I suppose.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree with guys. I think that you played this hand correctly. On the flop we have to call one time his bet. On the turn we catch top two pair and now the board seems to be very safe. Only some sets beat us, so we have to call the turn card. The river is also safe card. The river change nothing. Usually with top two pair we will have the best hand. I don't see any escape in this situation. On the board, there aren't flush and there aren't straights. Only some set beat us. Sometimes it happens that you will have very strong hand and opponent will have a set. Our hand is too strong to fold. I think that it is good game. GL :)

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I would not have been able to get away from this. Just a bad beat. Opponent could have AA or AK here as well as sets. You played well