$2 NLHE 6-max: Pretty standard fold here, right?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi everyone. Hope your Wednesday is wonderful.

I just want to confirm that I folded correctly. Both the BTN and BB are solid players from my games with them. Was my raise in the CO the right play with 78s? I feel it's near the bottom of my range but worth a raise in this spot.
Thanks.
No Limit Hold'em $0.01/$0.02
Winning Poker Network
6 players
Formatted by pokercopilot.com: Poker HUD for Mac and Windows

Stacks:
UTG - UTG (
$1.77)
MP - MP (
$2.00)
CO - Hero (
$1.97)
BTN - BTN (
$2.16)
SB - SB (
$1.91)
BB - BB (
$2.02)

Preflop: (
$0.03, 6 players) Hero is CO with 8♥ 7♥1 fold, Hero raises to $0.07, BTN raises to $0.26, 1 fold, BB raises to $0.45, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.19

Flop:
6♣ 9♣ 5♠ ($0.98, 3 players - MP: $2.00, BTN: $1.71, BB: $1.57)BB bets $0.47, 1 fold, Uncalled bet of $0.47 returned to BB

Total Pot:
$0.98

BB wins $0.94

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because it is 2NL, it would open from 89s which concentrates slightly above 33% of all possible combinations. With 87s we are a bit below, but obviously here the opening could also be made, we being CO. Although it would be better to do it, when we expect more folds from our rivals. Without readings, that tell us that these players have more closed ranges, it is probably better to fold pre in 2NL.
As played, I like the fold in this hand. There is no point in getting into that betting game, when we are probably outmatched since the raise of BTN, that seeks isolation with us.
Greetings.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since there's only one fold listed in front of you it seems either UTG or MP wasn't dealt in? At any rate opening the action in the CO with only one player behind with 87s is fine IMO are you always using this sizing though? Seems a bit large. After it goes 3B, fold, cold 4B there's just no way we can continue with this hand. There's no guarantee if we make a terrible hero call here pre that the BTN doesn't jam. I think this hand is only posted because had we made a bad call and BTN did not jam we would have flopped the nuts. Good fold, there will be much better spots than this to get almost a quarter of your stack in pre. We want them to be the ones that need to hit a miracle flop, not the other way around.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suppose you opened bigger than normal, thinking that that way you would not receive more increases from BTN or BB, since you have a solid image of they on the table. This leads me to assume that such villains tend to bet 3 relatively frequently. Anyway, I think you played well in this hand. Regarding the player behind, I understand that he does not participate in this hand.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for responding folks. I am doing my best to learn from you!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this hand is only posted because had we made a bad call and BTN did not jam we would have flopped the nuts.

Thats what I think also. Its a very trivial decision to fold a small suited connector to a cold 4-bet, but apparently Hero got hung up with rabbit hunting. This is something, we want to avoid, if we are serious about poker. Poker is about making the right decisions, and once our final decision in a hand is made, either by being all in or folding, it does not matter, how the board runs out.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thats what I think also. Its a very trivial decision to fold a small suited connector to a cold 4-bet, but apparently Hero got hung up with rabbit hunting. This is something, we want to avoid, if we are serious about poker. Poker is about making the right decisions, and once our final decision in a hand is made, either by being all in or folding, it does not matter, how the board runs out.

I just want to be sure I am making the right decisions. The fact that I would have flopped the nuts is not why I posted this. I know it's the long run and not the short run and was pretty sure calling a cold 4bet is not profitable in the long run with this holding. I just wanted some feedback.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sorry I really misread the hand was well played the right thing to do was fold in the Preflop after the villains' action.

Folding in Poker