$2 NLHE 6-max: Folded trip 3'3s on this board, good or bad?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is where stats and reads would help. If this is a really tight player there's no way he has a 5 so you can fistpump call.

wait, it's a call anyway. shove the flop.

He was quite a loose player and everyone at 6max are playing connectors all the time. Was it really a call from a shove? I mean like I just said - for what the pot was worth and the board that was out there was it really worth risking 2nd best Fullhouse from someone who has seen me betting already in the hand. No way would he be shoving with air here?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LoL. You can see how uneducated I am. I always put a set/trips as the same 3 of a kind...what's a set? A full house?

By the way, how can I get value by shoving the flop for someone holding top pairs or two overs? If they hit an over on the turn or river I'm going to be hitting a bigger pot.

By the way...you telling me when he shoves the turn he hasn't got a fullhouse? I'm sure he's on 5's full, might be split pot with 3's full but we both would be losing money with rake lol.

Surely someone isn't going to bluff a turn card like that when I've bet out already ? Surely?

He's still getting any overpair in (and on the flop he rarely has just overs because he's 3-bet the flop, this is never a bluff at 2NL imo). So you're not losing value by shoving the flop, and you're folding the best hand on the turn.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was quite a loose player and everyone at 6max are playing connectors all the time. Was it really a call from a shove? I mean like I just said - for what the pot was worth and the board that was out there was it really worth risking 2nd best Fullhouse from someone who has seen me betting already in the hand. No way would he be shoving with air here?

His range is way way more than 5x and why would he overshove the turn with the nut full house?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His range is way way more than 5x and why would he overshove the turn with the nut full house?

Indeed why would he if I had been betting previously. Surely he must of know I had something, even an over pair to his pair if neither of us hit that full house on the turn.

My thought process was this, if he was thinking "ok I'm sure he either has a good over pair to the board OR he hit a 3"

So now when the five hits the turn he could well be thinking "ok, if he has the three he is calling all day with second best full house so I will over bet massively to have him think I'm bluffing and chances are he is calling with his over pair and most definitely threes full of fives"

Do you think that is me thinking far to much?

I mean come on, I'd never ever shove a board like that if I had an inkling that the other player hit something on that board with just an overpair. I mean why would he shove it with complete air I Don't understand that. I personally thought he shoved to try and represent a bluff and me call with any pair or 2nd best full house, no?

Oh and by the way I always seem to be on the wrong end of the full house and get 2nd best full house on boards like this when I do call then I kick myself for even calling and am really frustrated with myself for it.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A set is when you have pocket pair and you hit 3 of a kind. Trips is when you have let's say AK and the flop comes A A 2.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ram, not a bad fold on that second hand. I probably 3bet shove on the flop, unless villain is EXTREMELY tight/nitty and then I maybe worry about being outckicked by something like A2s -- but as you said he was loose. The 5 on the turn is just about the worst card to see here. Since you open minraised pre, the blinds could have any sort of A5s or 65s something of that nature -- so I think fold on turn against a massive overbet like that is fine.

With respect to the first hand...

As I said I watched this guy in other hands prior to ours and he was opening up with every suited connectors and gap connectors. His hand on the turn reaked of a straight and that's why I folded Dreams of Tragedy. He had 40,20 or something stats. Quite loose anyway.

You said that 45 was in his range, and it probably was. But what else would he shove with here? Of the things that you crush, probably any two pair or an overpair. The things that have you crushed are bigger sets and 45. If you plug in the values in pokerstove where villain has 66+, and any suited connectors that make two pair or the straight you have 73% equity here. So don't fold your set in this spot, and probably play it more aggressively on the flop unless villain shows he 3bets a ton and maybe then will fold to a 4bet.

as for terminology:

trips = two community cards plus one of your hole cards makes 3 of a kind.
ie. you hold AQ and board comes Q Q 5

set = one community card plus your pocket pair hole cards makes 3 of a kind.
ie. you hold 88 and board comes 8 A 7

Last edited:
Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's why I folded Dreams of Tragedy.

How can you fold a Dreams of Tragedy??? did not know that i had a hand name after me...lol
But i never really read your intro there just the hand history....I was very sleepy at that time when i read this..lol

Folding in Poker