$2 NLHE 6-max: Floated IP, Should I have barreled river here?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

PokerStars,
Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.13 (107 bb)
MP: $4.11 (206 bb)
CO: $1.75 (88 bb)
BU: $0.76 (38 bb)
SB: $3.15 (158 bb)
BB (Hero): $4.43 (222 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with T J
3 players fold, BTN raises to $0.04, SB 3-bets to $0.18, Hero calls $0.16, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.40) Q 6 3 (2 players)
SB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.64) Q (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB calls $0.20

River: ($1.04) 6 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a fold pre here imo. J10 suited looks nice but against a 3 bet I am not liking it anywhere near as much plus button is still to act. They more than likely have a buttons opening range but still we have to take they are left to act into account. Unless SB has a very large 3 bet % folding pre here by far the best option imo.

As played I do like the float on the flop with a couple backdoors and it being such a small bet. When villain checks to us on the turn it could be Qx as some villains will do that but I doubt it more and I do like a bet here. I think the sizing is too small unless you have it planned that you are also betting the river. Then I like the sizing but if you arent going to fire on the river then you need to bet more on the turn to get villain to fold. I dont think villain is even folding AK on the turn to that sizing but they will fold that and maybe even some other hands that are beating you if you barrel on the river.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either fold preflop or play the turn and river stronger.
Depends on villain. If you have no fold equity, don't bother looking to outplay the other guy. Wait for another spot.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is 3bet squeeze or fold. I think a call is the worse of the the three options. If called then small cbet the flop.

On the flop as played, you could raise the flop or fold, you have a BDFD and BDSD but no SDV and the CBet could easily have missed the flop. Again calling seems the worst option. If you raise the flop and get called, you can barrel the turn with your FD and look like you had TPTK on the flop and turned trips, and this also allows a river barrel when you miss you FD.

Of course all bluffs depend on fold equity. If you didn't have fold equity, then you should have checked behind the turn and hoped you hit your river outs. But if you had fold equity, I think the more aggressive lines above might have been better.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also agree with fold preflop. I just don't understand your preflop call. Again on the flop I am not sure which hands you think you are winning. I really see that you are being defeated by a lot of his bluffs. To attract hands like: 45s- 78s and 89s requires knowing a lot about a villain and it honestly seems very optimistic for 2NL. I recommend that you respect the raises of your rivals. The fact that you are in blind position should not imply calling too wide preflop, when size and position indicate that you are facing a stronger range than yours.
Greetings.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much for the responses! you guys are very informative and helpful and this forum is by far one of the best in terms of technical knowledge and friendliness and I appreciate everybody who takes the time to look and think about the hands I post, and comment. I feel my knowledge for SB's ranges is lacking, I don't really know what SB's raising range is pre-flop but these are my original thoughts :

I thought in the hand that SB could be doing this with many suited broadways, premium pocket pairs etc. I decided to call because I would be IP. On the flop I thought the Q does hit SB's range but I also think most players at 2NL just c-bet at such a high frequency regardless of the board type. I thought maybe I could float and see what developed with backdoor potential. In hindsight I am wondering if we could ever re-raise the flop here with our backdoor equity as a bluff. On the turn Villain checks and I felt like this kind of capped his range as he should probably be betting his overpairs like AA,KK. he may check call medium pairs. I decided to bet 1/3 I think my original thought was this sizing may get Ax to fold but after looking now Idk , what bet sizing do you guys think would be needed to fold out AK,AJ etc.? Villain called and I instantly regretted the turn bet sizing because I felt like this wasn't large enough to really tell us anything specific about his range, even Ax is probably calling. When villain checks river I thought he is either slow playing the Q , has a middling PP or missed his FD with overcards, probably with the intention on calling a decent bet with a hand like AK.

Does BB ever have a flat calling range in this scenario or is it only 4-bet or fold ?