$2 NLHE 6-max: facing donk flop and turn check back from loose fish on wet paired board

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: facing donk flop and turn check back from loose fish on wet paired board

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.06 (103 bb)
MP: $1.96 (98 bb)
CO (Hero): $5.99 (300 bb)
BU: $1.98 (99 bb)
SB: $2.25 (113 bb)
BB: $2.03 (102 bb) loose fish 40/20

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with 9 J
2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, 1 fold, SB calls $0.05, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.18) 7 T 7 (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, SB folds

Turn: ($0.34) 8 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.33, BB calls $0.33

River: ($1) 4 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.34, BB calls $0.34

Not sure donk range of BB, so called behind with a gutshot and flush draw on the flop.

Both turn and river are interesting cards.

Decided to bet-fold with my exact hand on the river as I may still get 3 streets values from 7x,98s,Tx and some weaker flushes.

If river is a brick, would overbet to target all 7x and T8 combos.

How would you play this hand?

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played the hand fine. With the paired board on the flop, it would have been pretty spewy to have gone nuts with either your turned straight, or your rivered flush. As played, you definitely would have got value from some 2nd best hands.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering the stake I would play more aggressive on the turn. I would place a bet of around 200% of the pot or all in. Basically I am ahead of 7x and I want to block the color. I have a scale that protects me 69% of the time, so I am probably ahead many times. I only have 7 combos that beat me and I want to induce calls of color combinations.
Regards.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never bet folding that river with that action and a strong flush. The hand seems well played :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop
When the fish lead out into two other players, I think, he connected with the flop in some way. Could be 7X, could be TX, could be a draw. I pretty much discount him having flopped a boat, because most people would tend to slowplay in that situation. Its also not easy to flop a boat. Even if we give him T7o, there are still only 10 combos of flopped boats or quads.

I think, its pretty close between calling and raising here. Raising would isolate the fish, build the pot and allow you to control the action on the turn. The problem with raising is, that it open the door for him to 3-bet, he is likely not going to fold very often, and even if he dont have a boat now, a 7 or T on the turn or river will pretty much kill your equity.

Turn
When he check on this fairly brick card, I pretty much rule out completely, that he has anything strong. I put him on TX, 8X and draws at this point, and I love your big bet for value.

River
The flush came in, which is not really, what we were looking for, but I still like to bet for value, and I would also go a little bit bigger. I think, a fish will definitely pay more than 1/3 pot with his "two pair", which is how, some bad players tend to think about it on a paired board.

Sure it sucks to bet big and get raised, but going so small actually increase the risk, that he misread you as having a weak hand, so I really dont like the idea of bet-folding especially with this sizing. Its a situation where, if he coolered you with a flush over flush, you should probably just pay him off.

All, you need to ask yourself here, is, if he has the J high flush, and you have a better flush, is he then ever going to get away? And I think, the answer is pretty obvious. No fish in the history of poker has ever bet-folded a flush on the river. So in the long run these cooler situations are just going to be a wash.

Sure we are looking for ways to carve out an edge against fish, but I think, there are better ways to do that, than folding flushes on the river. It would suck pretty bad to bet-fold our hand, and then he proudly tables 8h6h to show you, he was not bluffing. And while better flushes are combinatorically more likely than worse, a fish will absolutely raise any flush on the river.

Last edited:
SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often people pay with TX hands in this limits? If TX will pay, i like this bet on the river.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering the stake I would play more aggressive on the turn. I would place a bet of around 200% of the pot or all in. Basically I am ahead of 7x and I want to block the color. I have a scale that protects me 69% of the time, so I am probably ahead many times. I only have 7 combos that beat me and I want to induce calls of color combinations.
Regards.

If villain only donks 7x on the flop, I would for sure go for exploitative sizing on the turn. But villain checks back on the turn which makes me think less likely.

River
The flush came in, which is not really, what we were looking for, but I still like to bet for value, and I would also go a little bit bigger. I think, a fish will definitely pay more than 1/3 pot with his "two pair", which is how, some bad players tend to think about it on a paired board.

Sure it sucks to bet big and get raised, but going so small actually increase the risk, that he misread you as having a weak hand, so I really dont like the idea of bet-folding especially with this sizing. Its a situation where, if he coolered you with a flush over flush, you should probably just pay him off.

All, you need to ask yourself here, is, if he has the J high flush, and you have a better flush, is he then ever going to get away? And I think, the answer is pretty obvious. No fish in the history of poker has ever bet-folded a flush on the river. So in the long run these cooler situations are just going to be a wash.

Sure we are looking for ways to carve out an edge against fish, but I think, there are better ways to do that, than folding flushes on the river. It would suck pretty bad to bet-fold our hand, and then he proudly tables 8h6h to show you, he was not bluffing. And while better flushes are combinatorically more likely than worse, a fish will absolutely raise any flush on the river.

I think villain could have more stronger flushes than weaker flushes and also unlikely check-raise the river given it is paired and connected board.

If villain does check raise with 8h6h, I don't mind folding this hand as I have stronger flushes and boats to call/re-raise with.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think villain could have more stronger flushes than weaker flushes and also unlikely check-raise the river given it is paired and connected board.

You are playing against a fish at 2NL. A lot of players at this level are very basic level 1 thinkers, which mean, he only notice, what he have, and dont even think about, what you could have.