$2 NLHE 6-max: Facing a big turn bet holding top pair

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we can fold pre but I think I was adjusting because BTN was not playing his BTN much and blinds were folding a ton pre-flop if I remember.

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.62 (81 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.09 (105 bb)
BU: $2.58 (129 bb)
SB: $2.01 (101 bb)
BB: $4.82 (241 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with K T
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, 1 fold, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.19) 4 2 K (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.09, BB calls $0.09, Hero calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.46) J (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.44, BB folds, Hero calls $0.44

River: ($1.34) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KTo is an acceptable hand to open from CO. You are blocking a hand like KTs that you could very well open from late positions. You also block TT and KK, so doubling preflop with this hand and from CO seems nitty.
However it is unlikely that this hand will be able to withstand 3 barrels of pure bluff in this texture. You are also blocking the more neutral bluffs like AT and QT so it is more difficult to include in rank V, bluff hands like A5s and A3s. As the hand developed I think we can comfortably fold on the river. Since the villain does not expect us to do it, with his decreasing proportional change in the size of the bet that he made.
Greetings.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my thoughts in the hand : I don't know if we have a range advantage on this board so if we do bet we want to bet bigger like 50% pot or more with our premium made hands and draws since we are OOP we should be checking more so I decided to check this one. What I was confused about was how there was a real lack of draws on the flop that fit into BTN's range. maybe he has some weaker Ax for wheel draws but other than that I think his betting range is Kx, or some of his marginal made hands that he is now using to barrel like medium strength PP's, so I guess BTN's range on the flop is Kx, PP's, sets and weak Ax for wheel draws? On the turn when BTN bets pot I get confused here because the board seems so dry. The question seems what would I check call with on the flop that villain could extract value from by betting pot ? there are almost no draws so after check-call flop, check turn my range is basically marginal made hands. why would he bet pot here to me it makes no sense...the turn does bring club draws the
Jc.png
does hit his range. so he could now barrel off with hands like QTs,T9s,AQ, Ax of clubs etc..

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I don't like the check-call, check-call, check-call line at all. It is necessary not to miss the initiative and make a continued bet on the flop with the top pair and reset for aggression. And if the villain plays a call, then play according to the situation on the turn. I would play fold a big bet on the turn.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I don't like the check-call, check-call, check-call line at all. It is necessary not to miss the initiative and make a continued bet on the flop with the top pair and reset for aggression. And if the villain plays a call, then play according to the situation on the turn. I would play fold a big bet on the turn.

Yes you make a good point thank you for your comment, I agree in hindsight I think betting flop is better. this is what villain had

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players

Flop: ($0.19) 4 2 K (3 players)

Turn: ($0.46) J (3 players)

River: ($1.34) 8 (2 players)

Total pot: $2.64 (Rake: $0.09)

Showdown:
BU shows 4 4 (three of a kind, Fours)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 52%, Flop: 98%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

CO (Hero) mucks K T (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 48%, Flop: 2%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

BU wins $2.55

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its important not to give players at the micros to much credit, alot of players will just see a premium hand and bet it, they have no clue weather the board is wet or dry, so I guess what I'm saying is, if he's betting into you and the board is bone dry its very likely that he has you beat, especially when you block top pair.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think we can fold pre but I think I was adjusting because BTN was not playing his BTN much and blinds were folding a ton pre-flop if I remember.

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players

Flop: ($0.19) 4 2 K(3 players)

Turn: ($0.46) J(3 players)

River: ($1.34) 8(2 players)

Thank you for posting

Betting flop here is the better choice as we do not want to give a free card to A5-2 which btn could call here often.
At the lower stakes defining our hand early when it is good but not nuts helps us range our villains. We want to define our hand for small bets early. We bet the K they raise big we fold. Why? Our V do not bluff this board so any raise is value and K10 cannot beat value raises on that board.

As played the data point that allows you to fold the turn is your note on this V. You state I raised because the btn was not playing their btn often. The btn is tight and passive and showing typical for this stake actions with near nut hands. We make a note and when all these factors are present in the future we fold turn.

Why Passive not aggressive? Betting pot with the nuts is not aggression- not playing the best position on the table is the key to V's passive nature.
When a passive gets agg it is the nuts.

Hope this helps

:):)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Std hand... like the flop check on the dry board. You can make an argument for betting the turn, but once you c/c turn, river is a std call.
NH

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for posting

Betting flop here is the better choice as we do not want to give a free card to A5-2 which btn could call here often.
At the lower stakes defining our hand early when it is good but not nuts helps us range our villains. We want to define our hand for small bets early. We bet the K they raise big we fold. Why? Our V do not bluff this board so any raise is value and K10 cannot beat value raises on that board.

As played the data point that allows you to fold the turn is your note on this V. You state I raised because the btn was not playing their btn often. The btn is tight and passive and showing typical for this stake actions with near nut hands. We make a note and when all these factors are present in the future we fold turn.

Why Passive not aggressive? Betting pot with the nuts is not aggression- not playing the best position on the table is the key to V's passive nature.
When a passive gets agg it is the nuts.

Hope this helps

This sounds like results oriented thinking. How do you know btn is passive? All you know is he's not playing a ton from the button. You don't know anything about his post flop play.

A lot of players will bet when passed to on the flop in a spot like this (rainbow, single broadway, dry flop), even passive players. A lot of draws came in on the turn, so the turn bet can still be a wide range. It's a pretty std call w/o more info.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This sounds like results oriented thinking. How do you know btn is passive? All you know is he's not playing a ton from the button. You don't know anything about his post flop play.

A lot of players will bet when passed to on the flop in a spot like this (rainbow, single broadway, dry flop), even passive players. A lot of draws came in on the turn, so the turn bet can still be a wide range. It's a pretty std call w/o more info.

Thank you for responding.

It is good that you point out that it is necessary to not lock our perception of a player in based on one action.