$2 NLHE 6-max: Big turn bluff in 3-bet pot, thoughts please!

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had an interesting discussion and would like to know what others think about this.

What do you think of the bluff? the 4 seems like a blank, so I thought I could get him off everything but his sets and best Qx with this bet, thoughts? my bet needs to work half the time and it seems like it will work a ton but maybe we can choose a better spot?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.03 (102 bb)
CO: $3.25 (163 bb)
BU: $2.55 (128 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.01 (101 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with A T
2 players fold, BTN raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.24, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.18

Flop: ($0.50) 7 2 Q (2 players)
Hero bets $0.18, BTN calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.86) 4 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.83, BU folds

Total pot: $0.86 (Rake: $0.03)
SB (Hero) wins $0.83
Here's a link to the discussion, would like to know everyone's thoughts about bluffing the turn, on different turn cards etc. even though solver might like to polarize against a good opponent, I thought it might be a good adjustment to check/call with NFD and over-card instead. Also I was thinking that blockers were not super relevant in what we were trying to accomplish on the 4s turn card.

[NL2] 3-bet pot, PSB bluff on the turn | Hand discussions for No Limit | PokerStrategy.com Forum

Somewhat confused about "REDS" comments, do you think they are accurate?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to play a balanced strategy, you need to have some hands, that just give up on the turn, especially when you use such a large sizing, and ATo seem like a pretty good candidate. The comment from "red" on that other forum makes sense, since we typically want to barrel the turn on cards, that give us more equity. Like in this case a K, a J or a club. On an offsuit 4 hands like A5s and A3s are better candidates for a dubble barrel, since they picked up a gutshot.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the sizings either on the flop and on the turn, would bet bigger on the flop, let's say at least 1/2 pot, make him pay his draws cuz he has quite a few drawing hands in his c3b range. 4s completely misses his range so you might've bet there for value with a bit more than half a pot. Your turn sizing only folds worse, so it's not much of a bluff when you think. What was your idea there? Want him to fold TP? Haven't played in years but back in my days, TP doesn't fold much in these limits. I would coast him with less and consider river.

Havent read the PS comments so don't judge me if I missed the topic :D

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No need to bluff postflop in nl2.

You won't get enough folds. Ok, you got the fold this time, but you're only going to take more and bigger risks and once you start bluff jamming it will be pain.

In nl2 you want to give up pre or on flops: don't get into habit of giving up on turns and rivers. That's burning money.

Make disrespectful value bets and you'll be fine in nl2.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to play a balanced strategy, you need to have some hands, that just give up on the turn, especially when you use such a large sizing, and ATo seem like a pretty good candidate. The comment from "red" on that other forum makes sense, since we typically want to barrel the turn on cards, that give us more equity. Like in this case a K, a J or a club. On an offsuit 4 hands like A5s and A3s are better candidates for a dubble barrel, since they picked up a gutshot.

I see what your saying. I agree maybe weaker Ax is better since AT blocks villains pocket tens and hands like QT out of his range. I thought an adjustment at these limits I can make is if I had NFD here on a club turn card I would check call and try to realize the flush equity instead of bluffing it and bluff this ATo hand here since we have overcard and put pressure on villains weaker hand range. I do think the 4s is not the scariest card to bluff and an ace or king would be much better but I went for it thinking I could get my opponent off his marginal range. I think next time I might wait for a better scare card after everyones analysis. Thank you