$2 NLHE 6-max: AK, wet board. What do you think?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks in advance for all thoughts and feedback!

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $1.99 (100 bb)
MP: $1.53 (77 bb)
CO: $4.81 (241 bb)
BU: $2.96 (148 bb)
SB: $0.95 (48 bb)
BB: $0.67 (34 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with K A
Hero raises to $0.06, MP calls $0.06, 3 players fold, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.19) Q K A (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.06, MP raises to $0.16, BB calls $0.16, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.67) 3 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.44, MP calls $0.44, BB folds

River: ($1.55) T (2 players)
Hero checks, MP checks

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DONT cbet tiny in nl2 with monster hands, unless its 4bet pot or something
CB half otf,
2/3 turn (if he raise you should fold),
check river (if he donks fold)
Hope this helps and Good Luck

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop:
MP is probably holding a worse two pair combo or exactly JTs when we get raised on the flop. Assuming that MP 3-bets QQ+ and doesn't 3-bet AQ you're actually in a great spot. JTo is a fold pre unless you're playing a maniac, and there are only 4 combos of JTs. Even if MP 3-bets AQ you're in a decent position with KQ, KJ, KT still in and if you're against JTs you'll have outs to a boat.

I like the small sizing since you'll c-bet close to 100% of your UTG open range on this board. There's a case to be made for a larger sizing though. It's a multiway pot so you're more likely to get called by worse, and it's multiway so equity is shared between more players. Because the board is wet AND you have a strong holding you want them to fold.

Turn:
Turn is as blank as it gets I like your bet and sizing. BB was probably holding a weak ace or gutshot.

River:
Four to the straight with plenty of J's in villain's range. I think you have to check/call here. You'll only get called by the nut straight if you bet. If you check I think villain bets some two pair combo's so check/folding seems bad. With MP checking back I'm confident you had the winner.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
30% pot is a tournament bet sizing or for high stakes games, where your opponents are very competent. At 2NL you need to use much larger sizing and keep most of your bets for value. When you bet this small and get raised, things get a bit awkward, but as played and especially when SB has cold called the raise, I would put in a 3-bet here. If it then goes 4-bet, call, then I would fold, because presumably then at least one of them have JT.

Turn
I dont understand this donk bet. On the flop it seems like, you were trying to slowplay by just calling his small raise. The turn card changed nothing, so why are you changing your mind now? As played my plan would be to check-call turn and check-call any river, thats not a T or J.

River
River did bring a 1-liner, and I like your decision to check. Hopefully he has a hand like a worse two pair and check back. If you face a large bet, you probably have to vomit and fold especially at a limit like 2NL, where most players are somewhat straight forward and dont pull to many big bluffs.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in this hand I just called flop because possibility of villains JT, the turn card brings in FD and board is scary but I may have thought JT is small portion of his range and so many bad rivers we want value from worse now? I think I may have changes my mind about how to play from flop to turn you guys are right. Should this be a flop 4-bet or flat call and check call turn?

I may have been worried about check calling turn and then having to check river on a bad river card and not knowing where I am

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in this hand I just called flop because possibility of villains JT

I think, the hand went off the rails because of your initial sizing on the flop. When you bet so small in a 2NL cash game, it looks very weak, and that can induce a raise from a lot of hands, that would just have called a larger bet. And I dont particularly want to get raised here. I want to keep the initiative and extract value from all those hands, we are ahead off.

The general way to approach the game in the micros is to make strong valuebets with hands like this, and then change to showdown mode, if you get raised, or the board runs out badly. If you had bet something like 12-15c and gotten raised, then I would just call and look to see, what the opponent did on the turn. It would also make it much less likely, that BB cold called the raise, which might have happened here, because it was still less than pot for him to call.

With the way, you played the hand, you still went 3-ways to the turn, and you were kind of in the dark as to, where you were in the hand, or what to do next. And its not like, you cant get called by worse, if you bet larger. They can have a worse two pair, and they can have a ton of pair+gutshot draws, and none of those hands are going to fold on the flop, as long as you bet less than pot. At 2NL the vast majority of recreational players will even continue with hands like A6 or A3, which are basically drawing dead. So your tiny little "feeler bet" not only makes the hand more difficult to play, it also leaves a lot of value on the table.