$2 NLHE 6-max: AK Flop Shove on Wet Flushed Board

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm happy with my flop shove here but wanted to check with others and see how varied the opinions on my play in this spot are.

I do think I could have 3bet a touch higher here to a min-open, but I don't think it would have affected the hand at all.

My thinking on this flop is pretty straight forward. I have huge equity here with the nut flush draw, two overcards, and a backdoor straight draw. By shoving here I also get the fold equity, noting that I hold the nut flush card.

I can't imagine folding with this kind of equity, and if I call and make my flush I think I rarely get him to put any more money in the pot. Of course, I'm happy if my opponent folds here as well.

My calculations after the fact tell me I had near 49% equity against range (77+,KdQd,KdJd,QdJd,QdTd,JdTd,Td9d,9d8d,8d7d,AJo) which I think is reasonable here.

GG Poker - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 170 BB
SB: 101.5 BB
BB: 101.5 BB
UTG: 104 BB
MP: 138 BB
Hero (CO): 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A K

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, SB raises to 18 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 12 BB

Flop: (39 BB, 2 players) 9 J 7
SB bets 13.5 BB, Hero raises to 82 BB and is all-in,

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like it - what kind of hands call you here? Only made flushes, made straights, (maybe two pair at the worst) and trips or potentially QQ with diamond or KK with diamond - out of all those hands you are only beating 2 and making villain fold all his worse hands.

I prefer a call on this flop as your happy getting the money in anyway and you give yourself the most chance to extract max value.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 bet more as you said, I make it 8 or even 10, depending on the table/players/recent action. If anything that would just have made it even more of a great spot to shove post with the amount equity you've got plus the folds you're getting.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like it - what kind of hands call you here? Only made flushes, made straights, (maybe two pair at the worst) and trips or potentially QQ with diamond or KK with diamond - out of all those hands you are only beating 2 and making villain fold all his worse hands.

I don't think getting a fold here is a bad result. It's the point of the shove, really. I just have tons of equity if he does call. We know he doesn't have a nut flush here.

Correction - He could have 8Td here, and many draws to a straight flush.

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think your range is correct, but regardless, a flop shove here is fine. You have almost no FE, but it's still a std +EV play.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think your range is correct, but regardless, a flop shove here is fine. You have almost no FE, but it's still a std +EV play.

Where do you think I went wrong on the ranges? That's something I'm sure I could use help with.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Where do you think I went wrong on the ranges? That's something I'm sure I could use help with.

You're trying to generate a 4-bet, flop c-bet range. If you're including KQ, it's not only going to be a flopped flush. There will be KdQx. You also need some AxQd in there, and it will likely be 99 or TT+, not 77+. If you were going to include more mid pairs, then you might as well include some small pairs too, as it makes just as much sense. When you're constructing a range for your opponent, it needs to be congruent w/ their image/stats and the entire range you're assembling. It can't just be mostly made hands if you're including a specific hand that's not 4-betting for value.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're trying to generate a 4-bet, flop c-bet range. If you're including KQ, it's not only going to be a flopped flush. There will be KdQx. You also need some AxQd in there, and it will likely be 99 or TT+, not 77+. If you were going to include more mid pairs, then you might as well include some small pairs too, as it makes just as much sense. When you're constructing a range for your opponent, it needs to be congruent w/ their image/stats and the entire range you're assembling. It can't just be mostly made hands if you're including a specific hand that's not 4-betting for value.

Thank you. You're right. I guess I figured at the time that only diamond draws would c-bet that flop. I think now quite obviously that's incorrect. I likely had even more equity than 50% then.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting

this is the range you posted 77+,KdQd,KdJd,QdJd,QdTd,JdTd,Td9d,9d8d,8d7d

You included cards that are on the flop so you have to remove those combos.

You also cannot add small pairs as a 4 bet from the blinds unless you know the Villain is very aggressive even 77 is not a standard V 4 bet from the blinds.
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]It will help you to you use # of players and their position in your range refining study.
[/FONT]In this hand UTG is the first raiser that is a tight range which dominates all small pairs.
Then you raise vs a UTG range and you raise smallish that suggests strength by you.

Then the SB 3x's your raise vs 2 strong ranges. Standard V do not have 77-22 for that or AJoff AQ off or KQoff or QTs or T8s or 86s
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]We would need a read on V that they are weak LAGY for that wide a range.
[/FONT]
When you ran Equilab did you remove suited diamond combos?
That will effect your equity calc.
[/FONT]
Hope this helps
:):)

[/FONT]

Last edited:
M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: fine.

F: I don't like an overbet jam (semi-bluff) vs a small cbet (35% pot). If villain cbet bigger then a jam becomes a better option, but even then I call.

It's a +EV spot, with 50-51% equity and a mix strategy in GTO, probably leaning towards calling, eg 52:48 call:jam.

Therefore, for nl2, just call.

------------------

Your range for SB's multi-way 4bet, vs initial UTG open and 3x 3bet, is nowhere near correct for fast-fold nl2 (I'm not referring to combo's blocked by the flop): generally 4bet ranges are extremely tight in fast-fold nl2, especially multi-way.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
As you say, 3-bet could be a bit larger against a min-raise in a cash game, but its not a big deal. At least you 3-bet. The cold 4-bet from SB is a very strong action, and I think for most players this is a very specific and top heavy set of holdings like TT+, AK and for some maybe even just KK+, since they would flat call with TT-QQ and AK. Even so I do think, folding here would be to tight, since we have position, and because the 3-bet was fairly small, the 4-bet is also not that big. So I would also call this 4-bet, but I would not 5-bet, and basically my plan would be to play pretty fit-or-fold postflop.

Flop
Obviously we are not folding the nut flushdraw, so its only between calling and raising, and if we raise then which size. If we just call, there will be around a pot sized bet left, and even with position I dont think, turn play will work in our favour. If we brick and face a committing bet from him, we are in a tought spot with no good options. And if we improve, all our improvent cards change the texture of the board, and we might not get paid. So I think, jamming is perfect, and we might even get some hands with good equity to fold like an overpair with no flushdraw or maybe another AK, which is a totally fine outcome.

Full Flush Poker