SB: $2.12 (106 bb)
BB: $1.57 (79 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.05) Hero is UTG with A A
Hero raises to $0.06, 1 fold, CO calls $0.04, 3 players fold

Flop: ($0.15) Q 9 J (2 players)
Hero bets $0.08, CO raises to $0.23, Hero calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.61) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.29, UTG (Hero) folds

CO flats pre. Flop is wet. I C-bet here and villain raises and now I'm not loving the spot.

What's villains flop raising range here? Straights/sets/two pairs?

against this range our hand has 13% equity. We are getting 3:1 on a call, I don't know if we can fold and decide to call even though it seems like there are many bad turn cards. That is versus a pure value range, if we start adding in things like FD's, OESD's, over-pairs, or top pair good kicker like AQ,KQ our equity goes up enough to call. tell me what you think here this is the difficult part of ranges and I am trying to improve so I would appreciate everybody's help and thought's on this part.

the turn is essentially a blank and villain bets half pot, I folded because I thought his hand was two-pair + , I wasn't
sure how often he would do this with top pair or a draw/combo draw. We were getting 3-1 on a call I feel like folding this may be a mistake since its at the top of our check calling range I think but also am worried about so many rivers while being OOP.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop interesting enough, some of villains spade draws have pairs that I don't know would want to raise the flop. Hands like
As.png
Js.png
Ks.png
Js.png
Js.png
Ts.png
all have pairs that I think most players would use them for showdown value and just call the flop correct?
Maybe at 2nl we can include all of these hands in the flop raising range since alot of players bet these hands ?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If villain bets this range on the turn we have 43% equity to call. Thoughts?

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $2.03 (102 bb)
MP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $2.00 (100 bb)

PF: Standard really. Now one question is, does Villain 3bet a lot? Or is he calling with most of his range and only 3betting his best cards?

Flop: Hero leads on a pretty dangerous board, because a lot of holdings could be check raising here, and a lot of made hands will be reraising here, so you pretty much are up against made hands and good draws, so I do think raising here is a wrong move, although I get that you want to protect yourself against a lot of draws.

But you raise, and he reraises.
So you don't have ace of spades, which is a big part of his reraising range here.
He could be reraising with KQ, something like KJs, J10s, perhaps Q10, it really depends on the villain if he reraises marginal made hands that also are draw heavy. There a lot of hands that could potentially be reraising here, so I think you have to call.

Turn: 5d does not change too much, so I think you do call one more street at least, especially since you also have the gutshot. I mean, it is a difficult spot but there are just a lot of hands that would want to continue here. Specially drawing hands that are not ahead. Of course a set of 9s is also possible, but I think Jacks and queens are 3bets most of the times pf, so you are afraid and behind K10, QJ, 108, Q10, 99. You are ahead of KQ, KJs, All Ace flush draws, 56s 67s 78s, some suited gappers, J10s.

I think turn is a call

Noroma

Noroma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the flop interesting enough, some of villains spade draws have pairs that I don't know would want to raise the flop. Hands like
As.png
Js.png
Ks.png
Js.png
Js.png
Ts.png
all have pairs that I think most players would use them for showdown value and just call the flop correct?
Maybe at 2nl we can include all of these hands in the flop raising range since alot of players bet these hands ?

I think I agree, it becomes player dependent. If you have seen him check a lot of hands with showdown value I think folding is an option, would still prefer a call here, if you think he is capable of reraising most flush draws

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $2.03 (102 bb)
MP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $2.00 (100 bb)

CO flats pre. Flop is wet. I C-bet here and villain raises and now I'm not loving the spot.

What's villains flop raising range here? Straights/sets/two pairs?

against this range our hand has 13% equity. We are getting 3:1 on a call, I don't know if we can fold and decide to call even though it seems like there are many bad turn cards. That is versus a pure value range, if we start adding in things like FD's, OESD's, over-pairs, or top pair good kicker like AQ,KQ our equity goes up enough to call. tell me what you think here this is the difficult part of ranges and I am trying to improve so I would appreciate everybody's help and thought's on this part.

the turn is essentially a blank and villain bets half pot, I folded because I thought his hand was two-pair + , I wasn't
sure how often he would do this with top pair or a draw/combo draw. We were getting 3-1 on a call I feel like folding this may be a mistake since its at the top of our check calling range I think but also am worried about so many rivers while being OOP.

Thank you for posting

Low stakes players are often straight forward in their actions. Therefore we can take actions that are straight forward as well and still have a very good ROI.

This flop smashes the V's range for 2 pair + and high equity draws and half of the V's range is never calling a flop bet. There are so many cards we will have to check fold turn on and as in this case the V raises not calls our bet when our range hits this board.

Straight forward players do not try to get strong UTG ranges to fold by using board texture, therefore the V's range is strong enough for us to have very difficult decisions turn and river.
OOP we cannot expect to get 3 streets of value easily on this board and the V can float a wide range here nuts included so even a call is not great for us.
When we bet out the V will raise protect 2 pair and sets and semi bluffs so we cannot weigh the raise to draws and bluffs more than made hands.
The combos of those made hands in the V's range are numerous as well

Therefore checking to pot control is the best choice here. The V will bet their 1 pair hands for us so we miss very little equity and we can call 2 streets as standard V's frequency of 3 bet bluffs is so low that they will often check give up rivers. When we check the V will include more of their bluff range in their bets than if we bet.

As played you have to call turn and decide river as the V will give up on bluffs with a high frequency as I said and some low stakes V will check back top pair- so the river call/fold is easier if we get the right card or price.

As played an extreme but profitable play vs the majority of low stakes players is-we can bet fold the AA on the flop.
The skill level of most low stakes players is low enough that we can fold and move on to better spots. If you are multi-tabling it is just not worth the brain effort to battle in this ugly a spot for a possible $2 return.

It is good that you want to reflect on and grow from this situation.

Hope this helps
:):)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think as a general rule at these stakes, you can b/f on these kinds of flops and be +EV versus the entire player field. It's good you want to understand GTO ranges in this spot, but it's .01/.02 and people won't be balancing and understanding their ranges well enough for you to have to worry about over folding w/ one pair.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Apparently CO posted, and I would take advantage of that by opening to a larger size, pretty much like if someone has limped. You are giving him to good of a price to call you in position, when you only make the standard 3BB raise.

Flop
I think, a lot of people would bet this flop with a reasoning like "I want to charge the draws" or "I want to protect my hand", and when I was new to poker, I would also have bet. But if we look a little deeper into the situation, betting with AA on this board accomplish very little.

The knee jerk reaction is to think, we are betting for value, but if we plug our hand and the board into Equilab and give him a realistic range for continuing, we only have around 50% equity against that range. On the other side the hands, he fold, only have around 10% equity. So by betting we allow him to play close to 100% perfect, and this is why, checking is a much better play. Checking takes away his option to raise and at least gives him a chance to bluff with hands, that are drawing almost dead.

We do bet though and get raised, and I prefer to just fold right now. A lot of different runouts are going to make the board even uglier by completing the flushdraw, pairing the board or putting a 1-liner to a straight. So if we call now, we almost always end up folding later. If you worry about bet-folding to much and getting exploited for it, then the way to fix the problem is to not bet in the first place.

Turn
I would never have gotten to the turn like this, but if I did, I would also fold.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Apparently CO posted, and I would take advantage of that by opening to a larger size, pretty much like if someone has limped. You are giving him to good of a price to call you in position, when you only make the standard 3BB raise.

Flop
I think, a lot of people would bet this flop with a reasoning like "I want to charge the draws" or "I want to protect my hand", and when I was new to poker, I would also have bet. But if we look a little deeper into the situation, betting with AA on this board accomplish very little.

The knee jerk reaction is to think, we are betting for value, but if we plug our hand and the board into Equilab and give him a realistic range for continuing, we only have around 50% equity against that range. On the other side the hands, he fold, only have around 10% equity. So by betting we allow him to play close to 100% perfect, and this is why, checking is a much better play. Checking takes away his option to raise and at least gives him a chance to bluff with hands, that are drawing almost dead.

We do bet though and get raised, and I prefer to just fold right now. A lot of different runouts are going to make the board even uglier by completing the flushdraw, pairing the board or putting a 1-liner to a straight. So if we call now, we almost always end up folding later. If you worry about bet-folding to much and getting exploited for it, then the way to fix the problem is to not bet in the first place.

Turn
I would never have gotten to the turn like this, but if I did, I would also fold.

That makes sense, I did plug it in and equities are roughly 50-50, meaning its a checking spot I guess for the reasons you mentioned. Thank you.