$2 NLHE 6-max: $ 6-max: QQ call on the river

G

Groove Dash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. What do you think about this hand?
My vision: NL2 I almost never see a 3bet-light, that's why I don't like to 4bet with QQ, because most of the time I'm gonna face a 5bet and I'll be behind AA, KK, so I decided to flat. When he checks the turn I think he has JJ, TT he would bet on the turn, or maybe AJ+. I decided to call on the river.

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $2.21 (111 bb)
MP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $2.36 (118 bb)
BU: $5.18 (259 bb)
SB: $1.00 (50 bb)
BB: $1.78 (89 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with Q Q
Hero raises to $0.06, MP 3-bets to $0.18, 4 players fold, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) 5 2 T (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets $0.13, Hero calls $0.13

Turn: ($0.65) 7 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($0.65) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.44, MP raises to $1.69 (all-in), Hero calls $1.25

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think flatting the 3bet utg vs mp is fine , some other positions i would 4bet and call vs a shove aslong as villain wans to nitty. I think you played the flop and turn perfectly ok and for me the river is a fold. There aren't any obvious bluffs so if it is it's just spew, so i tend to think it's value hands and you dont beat any value. It's possibly AA-KK maybe a set although less likely,but also A4s makes some sense as people wont always barrel a gutter..

G

Groove Dash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think flatting the 3bet utg vs mp is fine , some other positions i would 4bet and call vs a shove aslong as villain wans to nitty. I think you played the flop and turn perfectly ok and for me the river is a fold. There aren't any obvious bluffs so if it is it's just spew, so i tend to think it's value hands and you dont beat any value. It's possibly AA-KK maybe a set although less likely,but also A4s makes some sense as people wont always barrel a gutter..

He had A4s. Do you think that if he had JJ he would bet the river as a bluff?

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He had A4s. Do you think that if he had JJ he would bet the river as a bluff?

JJ wont always 3bet mp vs utg depending on villain, as played with the 3bet i expect JJ to bet the turn for value. Villains in position and controls the river action so turns quite an easy value bet. Villain can then decide on river action seeing all the action unfold first. And if JJ checks turn for whatever reason , sometimes villains will check hands like ATs JJ here scared of perhaps QQ+ although for the above reasons it's not the best line to take imo. But if checked i expect hands like ATs JJ to be bluff catchers and call your river bet. And not to raise and turn into a river bluff which would make zero sense.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would 4-bet preflop, but ok, I get it (sort of). With your line, checking the flop is fine, but I think you have to bet the turn about 3/4 pot to pot. Your giving all unpaired hands with A or K (likely AK) a free card and losing a ton of value. I don't think with this line, villain ever has JJ. He would bet the flop and the turn. River as played is a tough spot, but you have turned QQ into a bluff catcher. I think you have to fold. By your logic, if villain is 3 betting with JJ, then checking the flop and turn on that board, why wouldn't he be checking KK, AA? or maybe even TT? Also, you have to consider A4s here. You let him play A4 cheap and then payed it off when it hit.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm checking river to give him a chance to bluff. If I'm betting, I'm betting much smaller. I'm not sure what you were expecting him to call w/ for that sizing.

As played, river call for the price is ok. Not stoked, and probably only marginally profitable as not many people at these stakes bluff shove at the end.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pretty easy fold imo, looks exactly like A4, most other hands that beat you will call here, not raise.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm checking river to give him a chance to bluff. If I'm betting, I'm betting much smaller. I'm not sure what you were expecting him to call w/ for that sizing.

As played, river call for the price is ok. Not stoked, and probably only marginally profitable as not many people at these stakes bluff shove at the end.

I agree that the sizing is probably a bit to big, but i dont really think anything that checked the turn bluffs the river not with any regularity anyway. I think we just allow AK AQ AJ - also A2 A3 A5 the wheel aces with a pair a free showdown and miss some value. Sometimes the bigger bets do look more bluffy as well so might get looked up pretty light.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't play slow on micros. bet the turn get the max value.