pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $3.12 (156 bb)
CO: $2.02 (101 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $2.15 (108 bb)
BB: $2.56 (128 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with A 9
UTG raises to $0.06, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) 5 K Q (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.13, UTG calls $0.13

Turn: ($0.65) 8 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.65) 7 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

I realize the 3-bet is loose I think I was adjusting and exploiting an opponent opening wide , although maybe AJo should be the bottom of the 3-bet range there. Do we hold bad blockers on the turn ?

What do we think about bluffing turn and river? do we think we can get a decent player off a Q on the turn if we bet big or do we think we would likely need to barrel turn and river?

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you decide to bluff, do it till the end. If you representing strong hand(QQ+ , AK, strong draws) you should bet more on flop(1/2 - 2/3 of pot) and bet turn too.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you decide to bluff, do it till the end. If you representing strong hand(QQ+ , AK, strong draws) you should bet more on flop(1/2 - 2/3 of pot) and bet turn too.

I disagree. For most runouts your range should look like a pyramid getting a little bit tighter each street. That includes both a tighter value range balanced with fewer bluffs. So you slow down with some of your (thin) value range which naturally also means you should drop some of your bluffs.

Logically it also makes sense because villain's continuing range should also get tighter each street (EDIT: assuming you show aggression), so hands that were in a good spot previously might not be after villain continuing.

Last edited:
H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like that you increase your 3-betting frequency as an exploit, but I don't think this is the hand you want to do it with. The only thing going for it is that you hold an ace blocker, but should you get a call you're most likely in a very bad spot because the Ax part of villain's calling range dominate you and you're not even flipping against 99-JJ.

I think it's much better to 3-bet light with the suited wheel aces and suited connectors.
For the wheel aces because you hold the same ace blocker as A9o, the 9 probably doesn't play anyway, and if you're up against the AX part of villain's range at least you have outs to a straight or flush.
The suited connectors don't block any of villain's continuing range and maybe block some of villain's folding range which on the surface looks pretty bad. If you get called though you're always playing with two live cards which is infinitely better than being dominated. On top of that you also have outs to straights and/or flushes.

As played, I guess this flop is close to a range c-bet so I don't mind it. As for the turn and river, I think you're supposed to give up with some combo's and I think you have better bluff combo's than this.

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: easy fold vs EP open, we're not getting enough folds vs population.

F: as played, easy check-back. Worst flop to bluff at: broadway and connected hits villain's preflop flatting range.

T: as played, fine.

R: fine.

We just need an unbalanced value-heavy game-plan to beat nl2.

T

tt124f

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think maybe 56s is better for 3-bet bluff IP because with A9o you always hold marginal hands.