pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.12 (106 bb)
CO: $3.22 (161 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $2.46 (123 bb)
BB: $5.44 (272 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with J Q
1 fold, CO raises to $0.07, Hero 3-bets to $0.20, 2 players fold, CO calls $0.13

Flop: ($0.43) 8 5 J (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $0.14, CO calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.71) 6 (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $0.35, CO raises to $0.70, BU (Hero) folds

I think villain's 3 bet calling range is something like this

maybe villain isn't folding all that often to our flop bet here? hard to say, he could fold over-cards or weak pairs not quite sure. On the turn I decide to bet again and extract value from TT,99, FD's etc. and charge the over-cards to see a river. Is this the correct way to be looking at it? Villain decides to check raise me and I think his raising range can be all sets, and possibly AJ? do we think AJ is raising here ? seems like a hand that would rather check call perhaps..I'm not sure. I decide to fold because I can't imagine him check-raise bluffing with a FD in a 3-bet pot and I don't see any of his value range that I am ahead of. Maybe we are betting too thinly on the turn and check is best play do you think?

also thought maybe he turns a hand like 77 or 87 into a bluff since they have OESD aswell.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
This 3-bet is definitely a bit of the aggro side even BTN vs. CO. Maybe its ok to do this once in a while, but I would probably look to mostly simply fold here especially to a rather large 3,5BB open in a game without antes.

Flop
Cant go to wrong with a small C-bet here. There are definitely some worse hands, that can call, even though we also lose to hands like AJ or KJ.

Turn
I can get on board with betting again on this card and then my plan would be to check back most rivers. Now we get check min-raised though, and I think, that line is very unlikely to be a bluff. If he was bluffing, I think, he would be much more likely to make it a 2 street hand and simply jam it in now. So this really looks like a "please give me action I have nuts" kind of raise. And in top of that you have a ton of better hands to defend with. Even though all one pair hands are mainly bluffcatchers facing this line, it makes sense to continue with the best ones like AA or KK and not the worst like QJ.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I probably would fold this hand pre flop, because opponent raise 3,5x pre flop and it is a little too weak hand to play against raise 3,5x. It isn't standard raise pre flop and IMO better play better hands against raise 3,5x. It is a little harder to 3bet to raise 3,5x. As played – on the flop I play bigger cbet, 50-67% of the pot. The turn card – similar bet like on the flop. If he raises on the turn, I fold. Mini raise usually means something strong. He raises you, because he can think that you will play check on the river and with raise on the turn, he wants draw more money from you, before the river card. Opponents usually raise the turn card for value. So on the turn fold. GL :)

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like others said, QJo is normally outside of a BU 3-bet vs CO RFI range. I can get on board 3-betting it against a player that over-folds that spot because it's right on the cusp of playability. Just make sure that you're not just 3-bet bluffing random combos because it can get out of control really fast.

If you don't have a calling range here you're not really playing any pure bluffs. The bottom of your range are just the hands with the lowest amount of equity that you can still profitably raise. So where bluffing, in general, is more about frequency and less about bluffing specific hands, in a 3-bet or fold strategy frequency matters less and specific hands matter more.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like others said, QJo is normally outside of a BU 3-bet vs CO RFI range. I can get on board 3-betting it against a player that over-folds that spot because it's right on the cusp of playability. Just make sure that you're not just 3-bet bluffing random combos because it can get out of control really fast.

If you don't have a calling range here you're not really playing any pure bluffs. The bottom of your range are just the hands with the lowest amount of equity that you can still profitably raise. So where bluffing, in general, is more about frequency and less about bluffing specific hands, in a 3-bet or fold strategy frequency matters less and specific hands matter more.

yes thank you for the advice. I usually 3-bet the bottom parts of the range like you mentioned the "cusp of playability" hands. I'm sure its something I could skip all together at 2nl but I'm trying to have some balance with my 3-bets so they don't over-fold when I have premium hands.