No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Hello,

Player was fresh to the tables, so no information about his playing style (VPIP).

Do you call the Turn?
Anything you would do differently preflop or on the flop?

Thanks for support!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open. When you face a squeeze from someone, who only start with 70BB, I think, 4-bet jamming is a reasonable option. It takes away his positional advantage and force the in-between player out of the hand. But calling definitely beat folding.

Flop
You flopped an overpair, and once again check-jamming is a reasonable option. The problem with check-calling is, that if he is C-betting with a hand like AK, AQ or KQ, he is most likely going to check back the turn. So in a sense you are just allowing him two free cards to draw out on you, when you have the best hand.

Turn
As played definitely have to call it off.

Results
Just a standard cooler, especially when he only started with 70BB.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Preflop call is completely fine. As person above me said, there is an option to reraise here and check the actual strength of his hand. I wouldn't really go all in on that spot, but I could see myself going for 4-bet just to test the waters.

Flop calling with overpair is ok, but again it would most likely be smarter to reraise here as you most likely won't have him calling with hands like AK KQ AQ and such.

Turn we are kind of committed so call is ok-ish. There would be nothing wrong with folding there as him going all in most likely has us beat.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's a tough spot when you dont know the villain.

It's quite a large squeeze from someone without a full stack at 2NL, I think this is value heavy, even without any further player reads. I wouldn't hate folding turn as you are only bluff catching at this point and there are 18 value combos that beat you and would likely play this way.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turn we are kind of committed so call is ok-ish. There would be nothing wrong with folding there as him going all in most likely has us beat.

I wouldn't hate folding turn as you are only bluff catching at this point and there are 18 value combos that beat you and would likely play this way.
Having HUD-data available would definitely make it much easier to fold on the turn. Like if the Villain was a 18/12 with a 5% 3-bet over 1k hands.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello,

Player was fresh to the tables, so no information about his playing style (VPIP).

Do you call the Turn?
Anything you would do differently preflop or on the flop?

Thanks for support!
At these low limits players are pretty much straightforward, so when they squeeze versus EP it is a signal of utmost strength. Besides when they squeeze here they will own much more values than bluffs, so we have QQ+ versus and AQs+ versus, we are not in a pretty shape. OTF it is fine to call given sizing, but OTT we commit ourselves and it would be better to just leave the hand and move on. Hard to believe that draws are bluffing that much OTT.

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I’d be calling all the way too but I am also rubbish! 😂

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At these low limits players are pretty much straightforward, so when they squeeze versus EP it is a signal of utmost strength.
Strictly speaking there is no EP at 6-max. The first seat is LJ, which is already an MP position. In this case there was a HJ open and a CO call, and then BTN squeezed. This is literally the best possible situation to squeeze, since if the action is any later, he is going to be out of position against one or both opponents. So if he dont squeeze light here, thats basically the same as saying, he never squeeze light. And yes I know, there is less 3-betting at 2NL than at the higher limits. But still.

With that said the turn decision is perhaps a bit closer, than what I originally wrote. It would definitely be better to have QQ, because then the Villain could have JJ and be jamming it for value. But even with JJ I personally still call against an unknown player. There are two flushdraws, he could have ATs, that turned top pair, and some players just dont want to give up with AK in a 3-bet pot. So all in all I do think, we win this 1 in 3 times, but probably not much more than that.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Strictly speaking there is no EP at 6-max.
I’m afraid this is a linguist matter. You may name it hijack or MP and that’s not going to change ranges or playability.
As long as I know, Low Jack and Hijack are Full-Ring names for positions just before the button....
As I said, this is strictly a language issue.
Players are so obvious at NLHE 2 that it becomes boring to read them.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I said, this is strictly a language issue.
Its not just a language issue, since ranges should be determined by, how many players are left to act behind us, and not how many have already folded. On a 4-handed table its far more correct to talk about the player first to act as "CO" rather than "UTG", because they only have 3 players left to act behind them, and therefore they should be opening pretty wide.
Players are so obvious at NLHE 2 that it becomes boring to read them.
That is a fair point. As always, when the original post share the results, there is a danger of this making us results oriented though. This is not your fault obviously, but it gives a much better discussion, if OP stop the hand history with Villains jam and then simply ask "are you calling here" without sharing his actual decision or (if he called) at least not sharing the result.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Its not just a language issue, since ranges should be determined by, how many players are left to act behind us, and not how many have already folded. On a 4-handed table its far more correct to talk about the player first to act as "CO" rather than "UTG", because they only have 3 players left to act behind them, and therefore they should be opening pretty wide.

That is a fair point. As always, when the original post share the results, there is a danger of this making us results oriented though. This is not your fault obviously, but it gives a much better discussion, if OP stop the hand history with Villains jam and then simply ask "are you calling here" without sharing his actual decision or (if he called) at least not sharing the result.

but it's not a 4-handed table

When even discussing cash games, it's typically almost always 6-max. (I'd say over 90% of online cash game is 6max... probably more as some sites don't even have full ring).
So, on a 6max table, we don't call an early position hand.. 'early position' How about UTG? Can it be UTG when it's actually LJ. fiw, I've never heard of ANYONE ever referring to EP/UTG as LoJack position when talking about cash game HH's. So perhaps it IS a language issue?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
So let’s assume for a 6-MAX cash game that MP is Hijack and UTG Lojack: what are the standard ranges to open from these positions?

Which hands do we open from Hijack?

Which hands do we open from MP?

If the answers for these questions are equal, this is a simple language subject.

In a 4-handed table CO keeps the same name but with a expected wider range.

In a 4-handed table MP keeps the same name but with a expected wider range.

I don’t know what you’re talking about and does it help the OP or other forum users to tag positions according to Upswing Poker or any other school.
Keep me informed.

Saul2025

Saul2025

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I think I would play same line. Maybe reraise on flop could be better. Not in this spot, but in gerneral.